Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10,000K, 6,500K, etc. - What does it mean

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10,000K, 6,500K, etc. - What does it mean
    Posted: September 07 2002 at 12:05am
For VHO and NO fluorescent there is normally a #K rating. What does this number mean and what number are corals looking for? face=arial color=#606420 U /U
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2002 at 9:59am

I'm certainly NOT the best person to answer this.  But I will try.  Ask others, Jim Perry and Jake Pehrson could elaborate.  The K rating is a Kelvin rating.  Basically this tells you what spectrum of light you are dealing with.  Think of it this way, is the light bright white, is it red like plant lights, is it blue, is it green, is it a black light?  Basically the K rating tells you the spectrum you are dealing with. 

What do corals need?  Once again, I'm not the best at this.  I like 6500 K for most applications because it is a soft white/blue light.  I'm also a fan of adding blue or actinic lighting.  My view is that bright white is ideal for 8 hours a day, and you can never have too much actinic lighting.  I would run my blue lights (I think they are 4500K) for atleast 12 hours per day. 

Hope this helps,

Adam

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2002 at 10:50pm

Adam is correct that the Kelvin rating related to the color of the light.  Most people would recommend using a 10,000K-15,000K bulb.  Most of these bulbs have a more blue color than a lower Kelvin bulb (like 6,500K).

Most people consider 6,500 Kelvin to be equivalent to sun light.  The reason why most people use a higher Kelvin is that that are trying to replicate the color of light under 10 feet of ocean in only 2 feet pf aquarium water.

Let me know if I need to clairify anything I have written.  It is somewhat complicated.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic