Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skimmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 12:38pm

There could be another consideration.  If sps corals are what is primarily kept in an aquarium without good balance with soft and or lps corals that may uptake nutrients a skimmer would likely be beneficial to use. 

If someone who knows more about this would jump in here that would be great. 

Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 6:33pm

I am running an Auqa Medic Turbofloater skimmer.

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ps_t1000_info.asp?CartId=

Overall, I like the skimmer. It was only $150. But the thing can be noisy. I also had to add an air pump to the venturi after about a year. The quality of the foam decreased. It was wetter than I liked. After the addition of the air pump the foam quality improved and I havn't had any problems since.

I keep both soft (leathers, claudiella, xenia, etc,.) as well as sps corals. I do notice a difference in the soft corals after I clean my skimmer. They do not expand nearly as much. But the opposite is also true.  If I let the skimmer go, I do not see as much growth in the sps corals.

I am a firm believer that if you keep sps corals they will do better as a result of the use of a protein skimmer. If the main purpose of upgrading is due to an algae outbreak - I would probably hold off. There must be more to it if the tank was maintaining a nutrient balance with your present skimmer. Have you had anything die lately? I recently lost a large toadstool leather. I left it in long after I should have hoping it would pull through. As a result, I too now have a cyano problem. There is a discreet cause of your cyano. Find and fix the root cause and keep your present skimmer.

Another thing I have learned - change one thing - then wait awhile. If that doesn't have the desired effect change something else - then wait awhile. This approach will save money and will allow you to better understand exactly what affects (or lack of affects) your changes are having on your system.

Good luck.

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 8:51pm

Shane - Thanks for the info.  The only thing I've had die was from two meetings ago was the small fungia type deal.  Other than that nothing that I can think of - other than a snail or two do to crabs.

Mark - have you looked at whats going on and do you have any suggestions?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 9:00pm

Ryan,

I can't answer which skimmer is "best", I've only used a berlin and a couple diy models.  A friend of mine has an etss downdraft that really works good.  I've also heard good things about the "beckett" head type skimmers.  I'm going to try builing a beckett this summer (if the larger tank materializes). 

If you had difficulties fitting the berlin under your stand, you'll most likely have trouble with all the others too.  You might consider an external one (could be unsightly though).

As others have suggested, you might try a refugium.  A refugium (or algae/turf scrubber) does a lot of the same "good" things that a skimmer does without the "bad".  The problem with sole reliance on plants to do your filtration is they are not as dynamic as a skimmer.  If something big dies in your tank and starts to decompose, the plants may not be able to keep up with the waste removal where a skimmer will (or at least has the potential to do a better job of it).

Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 9:04pm

I agree with the points made by Steve and Shane regarding SPS keeping and running a skimmer and I've noticed the same trend with my tank.  When I upgraded to my current skimmer from my Berlin my leather growth slowed and there wasn't as much polyp expansion, but my SPS growth has been awesome (which is where my interest is).  With the rest of my softies I haven't been able to tell a difference.  If you plan on keeping SPS corals then I recommend a good quality skimmer.  I also believe that a good skimmer is helpful (though maybe not a panacea) for algae problems.

If you can't tell by now, I'm a skimmer believer and personally have no plans of going skimmerless.  I'll stick up for using one even though there seems to be a trend in the club to pooh-pooh them.  FWIW, If you follow the "tank of the month" posts on http://reefcentral.com/ you'll see a trend, almost all of them use high efficiency skimmers 24/7.  But here again, most of these tanks are dominated by stony corals...

Great thread topic.  Keep the posts coming!

Aaron George

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 10:31pm
Bump - Mark wondering about your suggestions/comments after I posted additional info.?  I hope you don't think I wasn't wanting to hear what you had to say!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 9:30am

Ryan,

I wasn't ignoring the thread. Just too busy to get back to it. I'll comment later today hopefully, when I have time to think.

Mark

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 6:47pm

Ryan,

I just re-read your post about the algae problem. Since I am a self proclaimed advisor on algae control (among other things!), I'd be glad to come see your tank and give you my opinion. I live in Bountiful so it's an easy drive to your place.

Call me at 296-1563 anytime, 

Mark

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 8:57am
Mark - I appreciate it, I'll give you a call.  On the skimmer I actually pulled it out last night and no wonder the thing wasn't running well.  The tubing going from the pump to the skimmer was pretty much disconnected.  Clean it out and clamped the tubing back down and it is skimming like a champ again.  I've put in an additional 70 snails this week and two sally light foots to help combat it.  I am also pulling away every night at the hair algae.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 11:53am

Sounds like you have uncovered the reason for the algae bloom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Theres's nothing like the abrupt "addition" of nutrients to cause an algae bloom. In this case, the discontinuance of previously effective skimming by a hose slipping off was the reason for additional nutrients being available.

As we see from this situation, algae can react quickly to uptake an increase in available nutrients. This is evidence for the use of algae as one aspect of the tanks filtration system. Hooray for the algae scrubber refugium!!!

Also not seen in your tank was the increase of bacteria. If you were to have done a bacterial count, you would have seen how the population increased exponentially.

I couldn't return your call last night but would still enjoy seeing your tank. The extra snails and hermits may soon become unnecessary. Watch for hermits attacking snails or coming out of hiding, immediately upon feeding. This will be the clue that they are getting real hungry. Someone in the club will probably be willing to buy them from you.

A note about skimming - I also agree that SPS coral enjoy lower nutrient levels than most soft coral. Skimming is one way to improve conditions for SPS. Other ways are algae scrubbing, activated carbon(not charcoal), benthic scrubbing(sponge,sea squirt) frequent water change, and straight chemical extraction.

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 12:35pm
Thanks Mark!  Your welcome to come by anytime, just let me know.  I am thinking actually of reducing my number of crabs and going with the additional snails.  It doesn't seem to matter what I do,(throwing empty shells in, feeding Nori) they just like munching on my snails.  They haven't even touched the hair algae - even after what is left when I pull it off.  I probably have over a hundred different kind of crabs right now - thinking after this is taken care of might drop down to 50 and keep the snails.  What do you think?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 12:46pm
I believe you are responding properly to your tanks needs!
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 2:35pm
Ryan, when/if you're ready to get rid of your crabs or reduce your snails, let me know. I'd be happy to have some more in my tank and it another I'm starting up. BTW, where do you live?
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 2:51pm

I live up North in Syracuse, but I work down in SLC.   I'm hoping that in the next couple weeks I have more hair algae issues under control and then I think I'll be getting rid of a few crabs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic