Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sea Star

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea Star
    Posted: January 21 2010 at 4:34pm
Why did the club discontinue the Sea Star?  Was it too much work or too hard to get articles to put in it?  I always enjoyed reading it and looked forward to the new issues.   Is it something the club would consider doing again?
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 5:14pm

During each of the last couple years the presidency has done a "who wants to do the seastar" type of approach.  Heil and Sukie come to mind as people who volunteered to do it.

Getting articles hasn't been a problem.  I think it starts out as a fun project, but then becomes a chore.  It's exciting to make a newsletter, get material, edit it, lay it out, and publish it.  But to be honest, people don't read seastars, it takes a lot of time, no one thanks you for your work, and you start thinking that your time could be better spent elsewhere.

What it really takes to make a Seastar is simply someone who has a drive to do it.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 6:25pm
I just remember a lot of good informative articles that really helped me when I first started into this hobby.  I remember though as it became a problem getting them out each month and there were times it took months then every other month.  I always read them.  I appreciated the work that was put in to them but probably did not express that enough at the time.  I still go back and look at them occasionally.  It is unfortunate that maybe even one or two a year still can't be done.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2010 at 7:47pm
Well Heil has signed up to do it again this year.... so we'll see what happens.

Unfortunately I think most people just skimmed them and moved on (like me) and very few really read them or went back to them (like you).

Adam
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 11:47am
People come and go in this club.  I am amazed at the turnover in this hobby.  Not everyone is a die hard reefer like you Adam.  You know it all and don't need that Sea Star information like I did.  I wonder if those articles were indexed, that they would be a benefit to those new to the hobby.  I wonder if they know they even exist.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 11:57am
I thought of that as well.  Like if the seastar was on the forum as a topic.  Each article a new topic in the club info section.  That way when people search they find it, and can expand on it. 
Or maybe putting the table of contents in a post so at least people would find that when they do a search; but still having the seastar as a separate pdf file.  Then again, if someone is willing to head it up, I'm perfectly happy to just let them do it the way they want.

Adam
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I thought of that as well.  Like if the seastar was on the forum as a topic.  Each article a new topic in the club info section.  That way when people search they find it, and can expand on it. 
Or maybe putting the table of contents in a post so at least people would find that when they do a search; but still having the seastar as a separate pdf file.  Then again, if someone is willing to head it up, I'm perfectly happy to just let them do it the way they want.

Adam

I love to read them. It would be sweet if they were on the forum. That way if someone wanted to do a search those would pull up. Just lock it so no one could respond to it. That is a cool idea. and then maybe only doing like an article or two a month instead of a whole layout. That would be neat.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 12:17pm
Hmmm ....

About this I must think.  (a little Yoda for this fine, Friday morning)
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 12:22pm
I will send good vibes over too you ... you know it would make it easier.... you know you want to do it... come on everyone is doing it.... you know you want to.... 
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 12:36pm
I loved everything about the Sea Star,  the pictures and articles were great.  The last few were absolutely great.  Shane you did great work.  The Sea Star evolved over the years but even the first were pretty good.  Again I must say I always looked forward to reading them and occasionally still go back to check them out. 
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 12:43pm
I agree with Larry. I really love the Sea Stars and read the majority of them when I started this hobby. Now a days I don't even look at them. If there were some new ones coming out that would be awesome!

Maybe one a quarter would be easier and more manageable?
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 12:37am
I would like to see some new Sea Stars and would be willing help with the effort! When I first started out in this hobby I stumbled upon this forum looking for information. Not only did I find great new friends and plenty of people willing to help but I found and read through some of the Sea Stars. I thought they were great not only the helpful tips and information in them but the stories were as enjoyable as well. I remember thinking to myself why doesn't this great club still publish all this wonderful information and stories anymore! I would love to see new articles published and I would be more than willing to donate my time to help make it happen.

May I suggest that maybe instead of putting this burden on the Presidency to put together the articles and stories every month that maybe the club could form a Sea Star publishing group under the direction of the Presidency but not actually part of the presidency, kind of like this great website is ran.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2010 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by arthuriv arthuriv wrote:

I would like to see some new Sea Stars and would be willing help with the effort! When I first started out in this hobby I stumbled upon this forum looking for information. Not only did I find great new friends and plenty of people willing to help but I found and read through some of the Sea Stars. I thought they were great not only the helpful tips and information in them but the stories were as enjoyable as well. I remember thinking to myself why doesn't this great club still publish all this wonderful information and stories anymore! I would love to see new articles published and I would be more than willing to donate my time to help make it happen.

May I suggest that maybe instead of putting this burden on the Presidency to put together the articles and stories every month that maybe the club could form a Sea Star publishing group under the direction of the Presidency but not actually part of the presidency, kind of like this great website is ran.

^ What he said!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic