Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

? ATI Sunpower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 6:54am

I too am still working with the color of my lights.  I did find if I adjust the positions of the bulbs I got a little better looking colors.  I posted in the other thread what I was running on my tek and I believe on my ATI.   I have had zero issues with the ATI,  I am still only running my light for about 4 hours a day because when I put it on for longer my corals didnt like the extra light.  

I do want to note as well that my frag tank is doing great as well because the tek found its new home over it. 
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

snoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 7:22am
Personally from running T5 I think when you get to many blue plus bulbs everything just looks washed out in blue, ie to blue, for 4 bulb for me thats when I tried 3 or 2 blue plus bulbs, and in 6 bulb thats with 3 blue plus bulbs.

Personally I like getting a UVL super actinic and a daylight bulb in the mix like the aquasun,  I have also liked my UVL 75/25 I think its called 15000k or something like that.

Currently I am running 2 UVL super Actinics, 1 blue plus, and the aquasun, but I don't have many sps, I am more looking at color than growth and don't need alot of Par.
Scott Noyce
90G reef ready AGA display
basment 20G sump, 29G fuge
4x54 watt T5 retro SLR
Octopus NW150
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

What bulbs do you run on your Tek fixtures?

They are Geismenn. I will have to look to see the mix but it took me a couple months messing with them till I found what was nice for me. I'm on my second set ans still enjoy the heck out of them.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 1:48pm
I have seen pics of your tank and it looked a white to me.

I would replace 1 of the blue plus with a GE6500K or the GMann midday if Ryan has them in stock.

Try just switching one and see what that does. Also move the Aquablue to the front and move a Blue Plus back. That will make the tank seem whiter too.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 6:34pm
I want to get me a GE or a midday bulb to try on my system.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 7:41pm
The day bulbs like those really help pick up the yellows and greens in a tank. Just try to keep the greens and yellows under the day bulb.

My Sunpower should be here this week. John should have ordered today. It is killing me waiting like this.
oskrcg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 11:36am
Where you I can buy ATI? I'm looking for a good place to buy it bit not sure where.
I'm new in salt water aquariums

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 11:53am
Reefgeek.com
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 12:01pm
Ryan,

Have you heard about all the Power Module fail people are having now? Where some of their bulbs won't fire up and when it's plugged into wall output it would. I wonder if this is affecting te Sunpower too. People are reporting of faulty ballast. I wouldn't want to buy a 10 X 80 Power Module and have to return it for warranty. The shipping is expensive on them. I will find you the link at RC.

Danh
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 12:13pm
I have seen some of the issues that people are having. It is very limited and no need to ship it back for warranty. Reefgeek has been known to ship you the new ballast so you can replace it yourself.

It is a very easy DIY.
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 3:18pm
For the price of those things, there should be no DIY ever! IMO
Life is good....right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

For the price of those things, there should be no DIY ever! IMO

Not every ballast and every endcap and every bulb is going to be 100% fail proof. I don't care what fixture or lighting scheme you run in this hobby, things are going to fail. The Sunpower has had better reliability than the Powermodule so far. I would still bet that 9 out of 10 people never have a single issue with the ATI stuff.

It is a very small amount of people that have had any issues at all. How many people run to the computer and post threads about how great their system is working?

I think the stats say that if someone has a good experience with a product/company they tell 3 to 5 people. If someone has a bad experience they tell 15 people on average!

PS- You want expensive? Go look into Aqua Photon, Geisemann, and Sfiligoi units. ATI is cheap compared to them and they out perform.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 3:45pm

I know you love ATI Ryan and im sure you will love your new fixture. As for me, im not so sold that having a fixture that puts out the most PAR and shows the best performance on some graph is what I would want. Keith just bought a sunpower and according to a recent post, can only run them 4 hours a day because its too much light and his corals dont like it. IMO, whats the good of having the light that performs the best if its off most of the time? Well, then you I guess you have to look at durability and reliability. If they all have issues, then why pay for the high end equipment? I went to a guys house in NSL the other day and he had one of those new 48 inch MH-T5 fixtures from aquatraders. $330 brand new. That thing put off beautiful light, well again IMO. I know that many people think aquatraders stuff is junk, but its funny, most of the people who use them dont seem to agree.  Anyway, I forgot what my point is..LOL Anyway, I hope you post lots of pics of your new fixture Ryan and before and after pics of the amazing growth in your corals.Big smile

Life is good....right?
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 4:30pm

To counter Jeff's point about me only having my light on for 4 hours.  I had to do the same thing when I first switched over from MH to T5's with my Tek and I had to do the same thing when I put my Tek on my frag tank.   With that being said, the growth on my frag tank is amazing even with only 4hr a day.  I personally think that the Tek fixtures with the active cooling system is a good option compaired to ATI, however, I needed a light and they hand not been released to stores yet.  Also I got a great deal on mine and it was only $50 more than the Tek, so ATI it was

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 7:41pm
Oh yeah. My point is that I would rather have a light that I can have on from the time I get up in the morning until late evening without frying the crap out of my corals =))

Edited by Jeffs_little_ocean - February 09 2010 at 7:58pm
Life is good....right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

Oh yeah. My point is that I would rather have a light that I can have on from the time I get up in the morning until late evening without frying the crap out of my corals =))

I think that is WAY too long to leave lights on for. I leave mine for 8 hours at the most. Heck my MH is only on for 6.5 hours right now and has been for a couple weeks. When I get my sunpower lights will be on for maybe 10 hours including the dusk/dawn effect.

You have to remember that corals only get blasted by full light for a very short period of time and that light isn't always hitting the exact same spot of the coral like it does in tanks with MH.
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 9:13pm
Ryan,

Instead of running 10 X 80 watt powermodule. Do you think 6 X 80 Sunpower be okay without frying my corals? I have a mix tank that is 50 L x 30 W x 24 h. Or do you think it's better to go with 10 x 80 watt?

Danh
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 9:15pm
On a tank that is 30 inches wide you need 10 bulbs. You won't have nearly enough coverage with only 6 bulbs. At the bare minimum you will want 8.

Run at least 2 actinics in your combo to help lower the PAR a little bit.

PS - if your tank is only 50 inches from left to right then why are you getting a 60" fixture? You only need a 48" fixture for that tank.

Edited by Ryan Thompson - February 09 2010 at 9:16pm
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by chk4tix chk4tix wrote:

I want to get me a GE or a midday bulb to try on my system.

I had the GE 6500 on my tank. Thought I didn't like it so I took it out. It will be going back in. I really like it now that I know what replacing it for another blue plus looks like. WAY to blue IMO.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 10:11pm
Ryan

actually it's 60" tank. If it's 50 I would get the icecap reef illumination fixture. Marine depot has them on sale.
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic