Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

? ATI Sunpower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? ATI Sunpower
    Posted: January 24 2010 at 11:25pm
Looking for any experience with these fixtures. I picked up a 5' version of this light.(6x80w t-5) I'm going to replace my lights on my ray tank with it. (see sale posts) Any way I have Teck 5 units on my 200 now and have loved them. (don't tell Ryan) I picked this up new for a unbelievable deal. I'm just curious what experience any one has.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 2:56am
Keith has the 5 foot version on his new 150g and said he loves it so far.

Be careful putting this light on the tank. They are very powerful and can really shock things if not careful. The ATI Sunpowers put out about 35% more PAR than a TEK. Make sure you put the label ends of the bulbs next to the vent holes (the fan side of the fixture).

My Sunpower will be here next week! I am WAY EXCITED and STOKED!

(Yes I had to capitalize those words) LOL
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 8:57am
Cool, The fans are in the center so I guess it dosent matter which end they go on then? How would you compare this 5' 6 bulb to 2x3' 6 bulbs?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 10:06am
No it does matter unless the 60" colling scheme is different.  Look at the first picture. On the right hand side of the fixture you will see holes right above the end caps. Put the label end of the bulbs there. A guy over on RC in the Reefgeek forum did a ton of tests with where to put the label ends in a Sunpower and found putting them how I have described, is the best way.

The ATI Sunpower will put out more PAR then your two TEK's, at least it should. Plus you won't have the dead spot in the middle. Just raise the fixture up a little bit to help with spread. I would move the TEK's to the ray tank if possible.

The funny thing is that 36" T5 are the worst PAR producing T5's. You would think that to a degree it would stay the same as you go up in sizes, 24", 36", 48" and 60". The wattage is a little different on each one; for exapmle, two 24" bulbs only equals 48W when a 48" uses 54W. So in theory you would think a linear formula (of some kind, not totally exact science here) could be used to at least estimate PAR levels, to a certain degree. While the 24, 48 and 60 inch T5's all fit into that estimate, the 36" bulbs fall way off. I don't think anyone has really figured out why that it is.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 10:30am
Bummer. I use Guessman bulbs so that will help. The tek-5 units tripled my lux reading over the mh/vho combo that I was running so I'm definitely better off. The only issue I see with this unit is its silver instead of black and I cant find the color bulbs I want in the 60".....
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 10:32am
Ryan can you post that link that shows PAR rating per length? I was going to buy a 36 inch fixture, but might just buy a 24 if the PAR is even close.
Life is good....right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Bummer. I use Guessman bulbs so that will help. The tek-5 units tripled my lux reading over the mh/vho combo that I was running so I'm definitely better off. The only issue I see with this unit is its silver instead of black and I cant find the color bulbs I want in the 60".....

What bulbs are you looking for? 60" has the most limited selection but it is pretty easy to find a good combo.

My favorite 6 bulb is:

ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue or GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

Ryan can you post that link that shows PAR rating per length? I was going to buy a 36 inch fixture, but might just buy a 24 if the PAR is even close.

Jeff,

I am pretty sure this is the thread that discusses it all. It is somewhere in the 12 page mess but it is there.

What tank are you setting up? What do you want to keep?

Those questions are the most important when considering a fixture. I am using a 4 bulb Sunpower over my 40 gallon. I see no need to light the whole tank, as I won't have corals clear to the back, front, or either side. When I keep the fixture about 6 inches off the tank I will get plenty of spread to cover what I need. Plus plenty of PAR for my plans.

edit - Jeff it is page 3 and 4 where they really start comparing the different lengths. 

Edited by Ryan Thompson - January 25 2010 at 1:15pm
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 3:46pm

Thanks Ryan. Very interesting reading. I am just looking to supplement my two MH pendants with some 3 foot T5's. I have a 65 gallon tank which is the same dimensions as your 40 but 8 inches taller. I dont have any SPS yet, but want to start when i get more light.

Life is good....right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 3:57pm
In that case I would use the 3 footers then. PAR won't be such a big deal because MH will be used.

Just use some ATI Blue Plus bulbs. Don't waste money or time on the T5 actinic bulbs. PAR is terrible and the color isn't as good as the T12 VHO Super Actinics.

edit - it will also be brighter when you add the T5's and may look funny using shorter bulbs. Then again I like it a little darker on the edges, adds some depth.

Edited by Ryan Thompson - January 25 2010 at 4:00pm
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 9:03pm
Ryan,

I'm saving up for the 5' 10X80 watt ATI Powermodule. I'm going to Ca this spring and stopping by Reef Geek for it.  What bulb confirguration would you recommend? I like to see my coral color pop out more.

thanks,
Danh
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 9:18pm
Danh,

Please refer to this thread:

I don't want to hijack Dion's thread.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 9:32pm
Your fine Ryan. I got to my mixture on my tek5's buy buying and buying some more. I apreciate your opinions and will follow suit.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 1:18am
Ryan, Do you buy these ATI bulbs local or are you ordering them. If so from who?
Bad "censored" Cabinets

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2010 at 1:28am
i get mine from either reef runners or usually reefgeek. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 10:10pm
How's the Sunpower doing Dion?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 11:44pm
Love the fixture, hate the color. Its way to blue for me. Ryan (AD) has the Geismann in stock so I will start playing with bulbs.

Edited by Dion Richins - February 08 2010 at 12:29am
Bad "censored" Cabinets

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 1:17am
What bulbs are you running?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 1:38am
The ones you recomended, from reef geekWink
Bad "censored" Cabinets

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 1:41am
What bulbs do you run on your Tek fixtures?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic