Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mad Dawg's 14g nano

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mad Dawg's 14g nano
    Posted: January 27 2010 at 6:14pm
Hello all.  My name is Todd and I got a 14 gallon Oceanic BioCube for Christmas that I need to get started.  I am planning on a mixed reef setup.  I've got a lot of experience on the fresh side of things but don't really have much experience on the salty side.  I've got a few questions to get me started.

Where is the best place to buy cured live rock and live sand?  I'm looking at either pacific or porous aquacultured live rock unless I should be looking for something else.  I prefer the aquacultured for "earth" reasons.  

What is the best salt?

What powerhead should I use?

What heater should I use?

Should I replace the stock Coralife compact fluorescent lighting?

Thanks for any help and advice you can provide.  I am excited to get involved with the reef community here.

Edited by Mad Dawg - February 24 2010 at 6:02pm
Todd
14g nano mixed reef project
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 6:30pm
If you plan on keeping any SPS corals I would swap out the lighting for Metal Halides. Salt mix is mostly personal preference. I like Reef Crystals. Any good name brand heater that is rated for 15 gallons should suffice. For powerheads I don't think you'll find much better for the price than a koralia nano or #1. The best and cheapest place to find sand and rock is from other hobbyists. Usually you can get some for free. What grain of sand are you looking for? I have about 3-4 gallons of reef sand if you're interested. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 6:52pm
Welcome Mad Dawg!
Nice to have you here.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 10:51pm
Thanks for the input, Steve.  It looks like I'll be getting some sand and water from IFbettas, maybe some rock, too.  I'll let you know if I need your sand.  I have no idea what grain of sand to look for.  What do you recommend?  I don't want a silty sand that gets kicked up too easily, but obviously I need something that provides good filtration.

Thanks Adam,  I'm gonna try to attend that banquet next month.  Sounds great!
Todd
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 10:58pm
Welcome Mad Dawg,

I have a 28 Gallon Nano and use a product called Vida Rock in place of live rock. It is a ceramic reef rock and is made right here in SLC. How many watts of CF lighting are in the stock hood? My Nano has 105 watts of CF lighting and I have been able to grow any type of SPS coral I have tried. To date I have Montipora, Millipora, Idaho Grape, Bird Nest, Green Slimer, Blue Tort and others as well as SPS some softies and leathers.

You're welcome to come check out my Nano if you would like to see the Vida Rock and how the CF Lighting works for me. If you want to retrofit the stock hood with better lighting check out Nanotuners or Nanocustoms on line. They have tons of Nano lighting upgrades. Take your time and research as much as you can before you purchase. Here are a couple pics of my tank with the Vida Rock both new and established.

This pic shows the Vida Rock after it becomes encrusted with corals and coraline algae.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Mad Dawg Mad Dawg wrote:

I'm gonna try to attend that banquet next month.  Sounds great!

I'd recommend getting your tickets soon.  You have to buy them in advance, and not at the door.  Money well worth spending.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 10:29am
Thanks Burt.  That tank is beautiful.  I definitely would like the option of putting in SPS corals and maybe a clam.  I'll need to do some more research first before I start throwing stuff in there.  My current lighting is 24w actinic and 10,000K CF.  Nanocustoms has an HQI light package for $360, but that would have to wait for a while.

That Vida Rock is cool.  Being a diver, I am definitely interested in saving natural reefs.  My first choice is to get some used/recycled live rock from someone tearing their tank down, but I don't want to wait for months so I may go with Vida Rock or Utah rock.  I also like the varied styles of the Vida Rock.  How long did it take your Vida Rock to become encrusted with coraline algae?  How long would it take to cycle my tank with live sand, live water and new rock?

Edited by Mad Dawg - January 28 2010 at 10:32am
Todd
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 6:11pm
It took a good 4 months before I saw Coraline algae on the Vida Rock but it quickly took on the browns and greens as the tank cycled. It's difficult to say exactly how long it would take a tank to cycle using live sand and water. A lot depends on your bio load and if your adding any additional bacteria.

I used the Hiatt System Right Now bacteria and added fish the first day and coral a week later starting with no live anything. Going the traditional route I would say 2 to 4 weeks using live sand and water, maybe less. Feel free to come by and check my tank and frags out any time. When your ready I'll give you a cup of sand from my system to help kick start yours if you like.
Burt

[email protected]
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 6:34pm
I wouldn't worry about a heater unless you live in an unfinished basement, I have the 29gal version, with a nano koralia, and a mj1200 swap, plus lights I run around 78-80* during the winter.  During the summer, even with ac on, I have to open the rear lid to get more ventilation and cooling.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 1:12am
Thanks for all the advice and info on getting started.  It will surely be just the beginning of my questions as I continue with this project.

Tarzan - Thanks for the head's up.  I bought a heater but left it in the box while I watch the temperature.  So far it's gone up to 77 and stayed there.  We'll see what happens when I start turning the pc lights off at night.

I got some rock from WhiteReef and some from a guy on KSL who was downsizing.  Marine Aquatics gave me some water and I bought some CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand.  IFbettas fell through for me too Disapprove

This week's plans include a powerhead, snails, crabs and some coral frags.  What types of frags would be best at this stage?

Here's a picture of it as of tonight Big smile

Todd
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 1:56am
softies our a good starter plus there cheap
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 8:14am
depends on what kinds of corals you want to keep long term as what I would put in there but you can never go wrong with zoas and palys

Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 8:32am
Hi Todd,

Softies and hearty LPS only. Stay away from the SPS until the tank matures. If you want I have several nice and inexpensive frags of Xenia, Clove Polyps, Zoos, Leathers and green polyps that would be great starter corals. If they do well you can start putting nicer pieces in there as well. When your ammonia and nitrite levels are 0 you can start adding some corals.
Burt

[email protected]
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 11:26am
I've got 2 frogspawns, a fluorescent yellow candy cane, some mushrooms and have just recently put in a couple little frags of sps--an unknown cat's paw that grew from a spec on the candy cane, and a small purple tip/polyp green acro. Both are showing signs of growing well--but that in part might be because it gets some natural sun all day (jury's still out on that).

You might look into doing an DIY led system on it--it'll cost you a little more than a comparable Halide (pm me and I'll give you some links), but you can keep the original hood and heat issues are almost non-existant, plus the leds are good for up to 10 yrs or so (If I remember right) and you can adjust the intensity if you put controllers in. 

Also try swapping out the original return pump for a mj900, or even a 1200 (maybe too much for 14?).

Edited by Crazy Tarzan - January 31 2010 at 11:33am
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 11:29am
I would recommend getting one of these too: http://www.aquacave.com/modular-pre-skimmerbr-for-6-gal-nano-cube-by-jbj-1951.html 

Or making your own :)
Pleasant Grove
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 4:59pm
jonafriendj - The upper intake on my oceanic biocube is actually at the surface like the skimmer in your link.  What are the benefits of that one over mine?
Todd
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 5:13pm
Looking good. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 6:28pm
the thing that jonafriend mentioned helps with surface skimming the top lay of your tank water most waste floats in our tanks and this helps bring that waste to the area of filtration in your nano
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 12:27am
Thanks for all your help so far.  Here's a current pic for your enjoyment! Big smile

Edited by Mad Dawg - February 10 2010 at 12:28am
Todd
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2010 at 8:37am
Very nice Todd.
Burt

[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic