Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mad Dawg's 14g nano

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2010 at 2:39am
Thanks Burt.  I still got a long way to go.  You all have been a lot of help.

I just ordered Nanocustom's 3.24 lighting upgrade kit.  I know, I know, it's not as cool or effective as LED or MH, but it's quite a bit cheaper ($80 vs $360).  I'm not planning on SPS corals, but I found a few people who have grown them at the top of their tank with this setup.
Todd
14g nano mixed reef project
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2010 at 12:25pm
Todd, you should show some pictures of the media basket you made, i'm really interested in the build

Edited by Ahanix - February 17 2010 at 4:01pm
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 1:05am
Here's a couple pics of my homemade media basket for those interested.  I've got two different grades of filter floss, then activated carbon and then chemi-pure.  There is a removable panel on one end.  This is short enough to allow the use of the factory water drip diverter thingy on top.

Todd
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 7:54am
Excellent work Todd,

You should do a DIY Build thread on that. I would put it in the Quick Reference thread so others could find it easily.

Burt
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 10:20am
That looks awesome! I like it a lot better than the media basket that is sold online.  I'll have to get one running as soon as my tank gets cycled (currently just running some filter floss through it)
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 5:43pm
That is awesome! Good work!
Pleasant Grove
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 12:51am
Thanks guys! 

Burt - I'll try to get to a DIY thread for that this weekend.

Here's an updated pic of my project.  The 3.24 PC lighting upgrade will happen sometime by the end of this weekend.  Let's hope with the additional 50/50 bulb I get some more color.  Some of my corals don't look quite as pretty as they were under the MH lighting.  Ermm

First pic - with flash

Second pic - no flash

Darned clown fish keep moving!
Todd
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 1:05pm
How's your Anemone holding up by the way?  I was thinking about one, but I think i'll wait and just see if mine will host some Xenia or something (I might get two clowns and 1-2 jaws depending upon how daring I get)
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 2:58am
The anemone is doing great.  So happy that it chose a place far from all my corals to settle down.  My clowns haven't hosted in the RBTA yet.  They seem to like the hammer and the star polyps near the top of the tank, but haven't really hosted in either of those either.

I got the nanocustoms 3.24 PC lighting upgrade installed today.  I like the look but it's not MH.  Colors are a little more brilliant and the tank is brighter.  I think I may try a small inexpensive SPS to see how it fares.  I had to make a few adjustments to the kit/installation instructions to make it work properly, but overall a good kit.  One of the new upgraded fans is not working and since heat hasn't been a problem in this tank I will reinstall the original fans tomorrow.

I also put in a fish guard today.  I didn't think there would be much room for a fish to jump into the filtration section, but someone on another forum said they had a goby get out with the same setup.

I've also added some macroalgae; chaetomorpha, caulerpa mexicana, caulerpa prolifera, caulerpa racemosa and halimeda.  It's all in the tank for now.  I'll move some of it into the mini-fuge once I get a light for back there.

I'll post pics of these mods in the next couple days.

Edited by Mad Dawg - February 21 2010 at 3:23am
Todd
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 3:24am
Nanocustoms 3.24 PC upgrade kit installed.  Overall I like this kit.  Well worth the money.  My corals look a little more colorful and look a lot more healthy.  Also visible are the new digital thermometer and my homemade fish saver.

Current project: a condo for my yellow watchman goby.  This is built out of 1" pvc and 3/4" fittings because I wanted the inside and outside diameters to be consistent.  My glass thermometer decided to lay lead all over my sand so while the tank is in reorganization, I thought I'd build him a home where I can see him.  The front door and back doors both face forward.  I used aquarium sealant and sand to cover the entrances.  I'd have made it more interesting but there's not a lot of real estate in my tank.  Now to convince him to use it...

Todd
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 10:11am
Is that digital thermometer for the water temp or light temp? Just be careful either way as those things are know to be really inaccurate, If it's for the water I prefer a cheap glass therm, you can't get much more accurate and they are cheap.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 5:45pm
The digital thermometer is for the water.  I had a cheap glass one.  It shattered and scattered glass shards and lead balls all over my tank. Angry  That's why I splurged for the digital.  That's good to know about the digital thermometers.  I think I'll go buy a cheap metal one to check the accuracy of the digital one.  Thanks for the suggestion.

With a little encouragement my goby took up residence in his new digs.  With any luck he'll take up permanent residence there. Approve

Edited by Mad Dawg - February 25 2010 at 3:20am
Todd
Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 7:34pm
Todd,
I also hae a 14g and am wondering how difficult the lighting upgrade was to install.
Thanks for the help.
Aaron
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 8:45pm
The yellow watchman goby has made a permanent home of my pvc creation.  It's not as natural looking as if he built it himself, but at least he's out front now.  He still hides any time anyone gets close to the tank but he's getting more comfortable every day.

I've been adding a couple frags every week so my tank is looking quite interesting.  The pic below really doesn't do it justice as the colors just don't show up well.  I think I'm addicted.  Is there a Reefer's Anonymous group nearby?

I built and installed an air powered ATO today.  It's pretty much this kit: http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html but modified slightly to use an air pump instead of a water pump like this: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38878.  I really like the way this kit works.  This will be really nice for when we go on vacation.

@studboy - The lighting upgrade was a pretty easy mod.  There were a few things I changed and/or added from the instructions because it didn't fit exactly right, but overall it's a very good kit.  One of the fans with the kit was defective and nanotuners sent out a new one right away.  Great customer service.

Current pic:

Edited by Mad Dawg - March 01 2010 at 8:47pm
Todd
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 9:00pm
Looks good!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 9:18pm
Geez looks great =)
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 9:35pm
Man Todd, thats an awesome tank.  I'm excited to see it on Wednesday Big smile
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 10:00pm
Your tank is looking great Todd. Mine was up several months before I had close to that many frags in it. Thumbs Up
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 12:57am
Thanks guys!

The past week has been fun.  I got 4 lbs of Tampa Bay LR from WhiteReef.  This rock is so full of life: crabs, sponges, tube worms, feather dusters, barnacles, shrimp, macroalgae, and more!  I extracted the gorilla and rock crabs and disposed of them.  The grass shrimp went into my tank and hasn't been seen since.  The red mithrax crab went into my tank and has been hiding.  I reworked the rockscape and now have a total of 11 lbs of lr.  Now I need more frags to fill up all the new naked rock.  The watchman goby is quite happy in his house and I'm seeing the first signs of coraline algae forming on the back wall.  I also got the auto top-off installed and worked out the bugs.

Todd
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 11:36am
Looking good! Seems that your clowns haven't killed eachother yet either Tongue  They finally getting along?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic