Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My new tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rocjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new tank
    Posted: January 31 2010 at 1:35pm

Well first off I would like to thank everyone that has helped me, you have made it smooth sailing so far!  Here it is my ten gallon nano nothing fancy yet, but hopefully it will be soon enough!  I'm hoping for a quick cycle since I used water and a little sand out of someone's tank, and live cured rock someone had too much of.

Thanks for looking
Nick

Edited by rocjeep - January 31 2010 at 1:36pm
rocjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 1:40pm

I was wondering is there anything else I need to do for the first couple weeks while it cycles? Do I need to add algae or anything or will it grow from the water and cup of sand I received from an established tank?

fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 3:21pm
Depending on what you want for livestock you might try some macroalgae. They help with water quality and some of them are very attractive.
Some day, when I grow up,...

Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2010 at 3:26pm
Is there an attactive macroalgae that would be good in a nano without getting blown around by the current?
Todd
14g nano mixed reef project
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 9:44am
Originally posted by rocjeep rocjeep wrote:

I was wondering is there anything else I need to do for the first couple weeks while it cycles? Do I need to add algae or anything or will it grow from the water and cup of sand I received from an established tank?

The answers to this and other questions are right here. I assume you have read it but it might not hurt to review.
With a little LS, LR, LW and Macroalgae it does not need to "cycle".
There are a hundred varieties of Caulerpa that grow great and look good too. That is a major part of skipping the Nitrogen cycle.

Not to criticize but those large rocks look too big for that tank. I have some smaller Utah Rock that would look better in a small tank like that and if you kept one of the best of those pieces or broke it up with a hammer and chisel it could be made to look more pleasing to the eye. Feel free to call the number below. This 10 gal tank had been set up just 2 months prior to this photo.

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 01 2010 at 9:51am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 10:37am
I agree with Mark that your rock is too big. It looks ok, but you will be much happier in the long run if you break it into smaller more manageable pieces. I tend to adjust my rock work as I get new corals into the tank. If you have those larger pieces it will make it a lot harder to adjust your rock work for new corals, adjusting your flow, etc.

Overall, the tank looks awesome! Ready for some life!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

rocjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 8:15pm

Criticism is always welcome!! After I got the rock in the tank I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I'm not sure what to do.  I really like the rock in the bottom right corner because of the arch/ tunnel it has.  Would you put it in the middle and just stack some rubble on top of it or on the sides?   Is there good way to stack rock without it being unstable? I don't want a rock slide if something gets bumped. 

Thanks for the criticism keep it coming...... as long as it's constructive anyway! hahaha Wink

Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 8:26pm
WhiteReeff has some smaller rocks you could use.  You may be able to trade your big rocks for some smaller ones as well.  I'd hate to see you break up those big ones.  As far as stuff knocking them over, you could glue pieces together once you get the shape/layout you want.

Another thing to consider is your future fish.  If you plan on anything that burrows, like blennys, you need to have your rock sitting on the bottom glass or else they will shift.  I'm not sure the arch in that rock on the right will still be an arch if you sit it on the glass.  If you use smaller pieces, you can create all kinds of caves and tunnels.

Edited by Mad Dawg - February 01 2010 at 8:29pm
Todd
14g nano mixed reef project
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 8:53am
I use what I call the tripod method. I have never glued rock together, but after a few months in a good tank, sponge will grow on the underside of LR. Sponge effectively "glues" the LR together. Good LBTR is so rough and jagged with various shapes other than round or oblong that it almost hooks together and almost immediately sponge starts to grow on it.

The Tripod method is to take three small slender rocks that can be pushed down into the sand with a large rock positioned solidly on top of the three. Two of these in that tank would give a base for other rocks to be stacked up on a third or even fourth level.

My wife is always amazed and pleased with how I can take any rocks and make a natural looking and beautiful aquascaping structure. It took me years to perfect the art. Don't be afraid to go back in and make a change if after a day or a week it doesn't look like the artistic visual display you were trying to create.

I'll post a few pics. Let me go look for some good examples.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 9:09am

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 9:15am
I am going to be setting my LR out to dry today, so if you are interested in it let me know.  I'll give it to you for free.  Here is the link to the pictures of what I have.
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38229
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:51am

Hey what light do you have on your ten gallon, I also have a ten gallon and need to upgrade the light so looking for different options. ...

Your tank is looking good!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:58am
Originally posted by WhiteReef WhiteReef wrote:

setting LR out to dry

Ouch Ouch that hurts when I hear comments like that. That is killing life. There ios a lot of life in a piece of LR. Please don't set it out to dry. Please set it into a bucket of tank water from a water change. Then it won't have to pullute the next tank with all the life that died off in the air.Dead 
LR can live a long time in a bucket with little or no circulation at room temperature or a little below room temp.
Desertreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desertreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 12:26pm
Once I put all of my live rock in a bucket for a week and it smelled bad but when I put it back it looked good.  If you don't want your rock put it on the buy message board.  I am sure someone will want it.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 1:17pm
The rock has been on the board for a few days, and there really has not been much interest in it.  It was moved out on Friday, and due to things at home there is really no where to store the rock execpt in an unheated basement or my bedroom.  As a result the rock has to go somewhere.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 1:47pm
Hey just wondering how the tank is coming along?  I cant decide if I want to buy a light like this for my ten gallon or just buy a nano cube....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic