Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mod to my Koralia 3 power head

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mod to my Koralia 3 power head
    Posted: February 01 2010 at 8:27pm
Due to the inability to get the flow to direct up to the surface using my Koralia 3 power head, I chose to modify it.  I found a thread on marine depot's website where some else said they did it, so I had to try.

What I did was take my exacto knives and cut out a notch in the base.  I used two different blades as one is for gouging and the other for fine tuning the cuts.

When I started I think that I was only getting about a 45 deg angle from it.  After I cut the notch I was able to get a 5 deg angle.  Here are the shots that show the notch, angle before, angle after, and application.

notch

angle before

Angle after

Installed

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 8:31pm
Thats a great mod richard i didn't know i needed it till i saw it LOL! Thanks!
Chance Evans
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 8:41pm
Ya man, thats easy and will do wonders... all the new angles you can to!!!!
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 8:53pm
very nice mod.  Might have to get me a k-nano to put near the bottom of the new tank
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 10:01pm
Very cool. I think I might have to do this on at least one of my Ks.
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 10:06pm
I did this on several of my powerheads and had great luck. The only ones I would recommend not doing this on is the Koralia MAG powerheads. They are too heavy and will eventually spin down because the magnet isn't strong enough. The offset weight will cause it to swing and spray sand everywhere.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 12:38am
Originally posted by chk4tix chk4tix wrote:

very nice mod.  Might have to get me a k-nano to put near the bottom of the new tank

You wouldn't be able to do it with a nano because they use a different base to hold them. The Koralia Nano is a pretty big waste IMO. Get a #1 instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic