Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water
    Posted: February 03 2010 at 10:11pm
I am new to the hobby as some of you know and this "ideal" water condition is driving me crazy! From A newbe stand point it would be nice to have a topic for just "water". There are always questions concerning just plain water. From the very start up of a tank to the daily/monthly... upkeep, it would be nice to have that information available and have it all in one place. 
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 11:12pm
What "ideal" condition are you referring to? If you can be more specific it will help us help you.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 11:15pm
Ideal water is easy, just mix the salt in some ro water, get your s.g. to around 1.025 and you are done. Keeping it that way after it goes in the tank is another story.
Some day, when I grow up,...

Rioreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rioreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by fishoutawater fishoutawater wrote:

Ideal water is easy, just mix the salt in some ro water, get your s.g. to around 1.025 and you are done. Keeping it that way after it goes in the tank is another story.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
I dont mean to brag but, yeah it's 6ft long.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2010 at 6:38pm

There is a lot of misinformation out there, and too many newbies think they know all about it. Sorry but that's the facts of life. Find an experierienced hobbyist and follow him/her until you get a feel for it.

Maybe you are thinking of ideal or perfect water as being the only way a tank can survive and do well. Let me help you lay your fears to rest. It's not about the water. Testing the water to check the levels of impurities is just a way of determining whether the biological filtration is doing its job.

Getting the biological filtration to do its job requires hardly any work on your part. Did you read the thread about setting up the tank with LS of aragonite, some LR, LW and Macroalgae. This is the live stuff that provides the biological filtration. Setting up a reef aquarium in this way means there is no need to worry about all those nitrogen compounds or the cycle. The biological life just naturally lives and thrives and cleans the water. Smile

If there is decent water circulation and ample light with temperature between 70-80 degrees and salinity of 1.020 - 1.028 then the only thing to test for the first 3-6 months is......  nothing! Nada, zilch zero. Not even those nasty N things.Shocked

Then, no earlier than 3 months you can start testing the two next most important water parameters, Alkalinity (8-14 dKH) and Calcium (350-500). Those are easy to test and keep in line. We can show you how. So don't worry. Please post a pic of the tank and tellus what you have done so far. We are here for you. Thumbs Up

Also feel free to call me at the number below. I can help you immediately with anything.

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 05 2010 at 6:46pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 7:53pm
Mark, just try not to be a weenie when you answer a newbies question.  I recall asking a question about what to feed a certain new add to the tank.  It turned out to be a poor purchase due to lack of info and a poor recomendation from a retailer.  I asked what to feed it you responded "try some acros".  Not very helpful for a guy who had no idea what you were even talking about.  So before you paint with broad strokes about the advice from newbies, think about the stupid response to a newbie 4 1/2 yrs ago when I asked a question
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things
MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 8:14pm
Sorry to hijack the thread with my poke at Mark, I found when I used RO or better yet DI water, I had fewer algae issues due to my overfeeding.  When I had a heavy fish load it did make a difference over tap water.  It really depends on how "clean" your tap water is to begin with.  My TDS fluctuated depending on time of year so I decideed since I had all the DI water I could haul home, I used about 35 gallons a week for topoff of our 5-6 tanks at that time and would do that twice more in a week to get enough in our drum for water changes once a month.  I felt like I was constantly hauling water home, I started topping off a couple of the tanks with tap and continuing with DI on the others.  It took a few months to see a difference, but it was noticed. Now we are down to two tanks a 20 gallon "holding tank" with a bunch of corals waiting for the 30 cube to be done, and a 24 nano.  Real easy to haul water for a small tank load.
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2010 at 9:17am
If in doubt about your tap water, us RO/DI water to start.  The better you control what goes into your aquarium, the better you will know what to look for when a problem arises.  For example, if you have an algae bloom (and you're using RO/DI water) you can quickly dismiss that variable when troubleshooting.
Many people use tap water and have great success.  But this is not always the case and may, at some time, cause large, even catastrophic losses.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2010 at 1:09pm
RODI all the way
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic