Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14g Bio Cube Build - New Modifications

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 11:27pm
Can you really have a couple of jawfish in a tank that small? I ask because I would like to try some in my 10gal tank in the not too distant future.
Some day, when I grow up,...

Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 11:41pm
There's been some discussion about the benefit of a bottom-up current.  I can't remember what the benefits were, maybe Mark could elaborate?  I put my Koralia Nano low pointing up to get a bottom-up flow and pointed the filter return toward the surface for air exchange.

Looks real nice Ahanix, I like it!
Todd
14g nano mixed reef project
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 12:23am
Makes a ton of sense though, would help the water out a lot if it was blowing throughout the whole tank, rather than just the top.  I'll try it both ways and see which way my corals and stuff like it best
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 1:58am
I just know with my Koralia Nano it is impossible to aim that thing. It is one of the worst designs they ever came out with IMO.
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 2:25am
I got mine to stay at about a 45 degree angle.  It's enough to get bottom-up circulation.  I'd like it to go a little more vertical, but it does the job a gives a pretty good mixed up current in my tank.
Todd
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2010 at 10:45am
This morning before I got to work I pushed it down to give it the bottom up circulation, hopefully it helps out.  Thanks for the suggestion
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 12:55pm
Day 6 &7, Moved some stuff around, Start Polyp and Zoo's look like they are doing great, (Star's started out as just stems and have started growing)

Pom Pom's were pretty much dead when I got them home, so i'll probably look for a frag of that next week when my tank is ready for the clean up crew, but i'll watch them in that next week to see if they get over the move

Also, excuse the Dirty Glass and Thermometer, was checking temps (Staying pretty consistent at 76-77 degrees. and I still need to clean the glass today

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 8:08pm
Day 9:

Diatom Bloom, brownish red algae towards the top of the tank, so I guess let the cycle begin.

Tomorrow i'm going to stop by and pick up some inverts, what do you guys suggest I pick up right now, and what should I grab later? (Snails, Red Hermits, Cleaner Shrimp?)

Still need to find out what happened to my Pom Poms, they just up and dissapeared last night, with the exception of half of the stalk.  Someone said it may be a hitchhiker, but I cant seem to find a crab, slug or anything anywhere!

Zoo's and GSP's are doing great, GSP's have grown a ton in the last couple of days, can't wait to see what they do.

(By the way, white specks are air bubbles)

Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2010 at 12:21am
Good job!  I went with 10 snails (4 astrea, 4 cerith, 2 nassarius), 10 crabs (5 blue leg, 5 red), and a peppermint shrimp.  Peppermint shrimp are great scavengers and aiptasia eaters.  Make sure you buy additional empty shells for the crabs to move up into as they grow or they will kill your snails for the shells.  Been there. Ermm  I've replaced a few snails, but these numbers have kept my tank pretty clean.

Have you built / installed the jawfish condo yet?  I'm currently building one for my yellow watchman goby.

Edited by Mad Dawg - February 23 2010 at 12:27am
Todd
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2010 at 9:52am
Well, I have the PVC Piping and some left over dead rock that I could crush to make the front of the tunnel look nice / stuff for the jawfish to move around, but I haven't dared move my stuff to put it in.  I think i'll just do a straight shot from the front right corner to the back left corner, or just not install one at all and let the jawfish dig its own burrows (hoping to get two in the future, and I think it would mess them up if I were to get them paired) But then again, I guess it wont benefit to have a pair of squished jawfish from a cave-in

Edited by Ahanix - February 23 2010 at 10:04am
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 10:32am
Day 13: Green Algae Cycle and Clean up Crew

So yesterday, after holding out for a couple of days with my Diatom Cycle I decided to pick up a clean up crew.  Got home and now everything is starting to go green in my tank, so I guess my cycle is well on its way, hopefully i'll start to see some purple soon.

Anyways, here is what my clean up crew consists of

4 Astraea Snails
2 Nassarius Snails
4 Cerith Snails

10 multi-colored hermit crabs (some blue, blue banded, scarlet.etc)

1 Mithrax Crab (Red Female)

1 Green Brittle Star

After I had let the snails and crabs sit in the water for about 45 minutes I set them free, they immediately started going to work, my tank is a lot cleaner than it was the whole rest of the week, so I know they are doing their job.  I woke up this morning and can tell that this should be a pretty good number for my clean up crew, but I guess only time can tell.

The mithrax is doing pretty good, watched her pick off a lot of hair/green algae last night, and move up pretty far in the tank

The sea star is hidden pretty well in my rocks now, I can see a few tentacles sticking out in key places, and it seems to be pretty happy, I fed it a couple brine shrimp last night that it seemed to like

After this I am going to start stocking the tank with a few corals, let those secure themselves and then probably get some type of fish and a skunk cleaner shrimp.  I was going to get a Jawfish, but I am not sure yet, so I guess we will see what happens.

Salinity yesterday was 1.026 so I pulled out about 2-3 cups of water and replaced it with some RO water to drop it down to 1.025, I need to test it tonight, but it should be about right.

Tank is staying consistent at 75-76 degrees without a heater, so I am not sure if I should pick one up or not

Please also ignore the 5 bell looking things in the photo at the top of the tank, I didn't realize I had my lights on when I was taking photos, haha

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 9:57pm
Day 14/15: Fish!

Hey guys, so I finally decided to get a couple of clowns. They seem to be doing great! both eating wonderfully, and its kind of fun to feed them because now I can get my starfish out, he loves Formula One, haha.

Anyways, here's the new pictures, obviously its pretty barren, only some Zoo's and GSP, but hopefully I can get some Xenia this week, and then see what else is around. Hopefully my clowns will like the Xenia, I feel kind of bad that they don't have anything to host, but they don't seem too stressed out at the moment.

Oh, I also moved some rock around to give more room for corals in the future

Edited by Ahanix - February 28 2010 at 9:58pm
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 7:15pm
So it's been quite a while since I have updated this.  Fish seem to be doing great, got a couple more corals (Silver Tip Xenia, LB Candy Cane Coral) Thanks Todd and Kevin!

Not the best picture, but a lot better than my other pictures.  Especially since I fixed the bubble problem.  (The DIY Media Basket fixed everything) so thanks for the idea Todd, and the eggcrate.

Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 10:03pm
Looks mighty fine!
90G Mixed Reef
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 11:09pm
looking good man, like the scape
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 8:17pm

Its been quite a while since I have updated, but I just wanted to post my progress on my tank.  

I added a media basket in the back, some more corals, fixed my whole bubble issue, my candy cane coral has grown a ton since I put it in there, excited to see how big it gets.  Xenia started growing back off rock that I got when I first started my tank, kind of cool.  and everything else seems to be growing great.  I have done two 1 gallon water changes since having the tank, and will probably do another 1 gallon change this weekend.

Edited by Ahanix - March 31 2010 at 8:19pm
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 12:20pm
Alright, so I decided to post a video with my cellphone, the quality isnt that great, but atleast it gives a good idea of how my tank is set up.

Thanks

>

Edited by Ahanix - April 01 2010 at 12:21pm
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 1:20pm
Looking great!
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2010 at 9:13pm
Looking good man! Glad the candy cane is growing, it grows like mad in my tank too!
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 10:18pm
So here is my 3 month update, a lot has changed. I had to re-do my rock work due to a missing Jawfish, now I have two clowns and a bi-color blenny.

With my lighting upgrade, this is pretty close to my current lighting color

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic