Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

75 Gallon interactive Journal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 75 Gallon interactive Journal
    Posted: February 19 2010 at 2:03am

For all of you who don't know me my name is Matt James.  I have been a member of the fish club for about 2 years now.  I am starting my first mid-size tank, a 75 gallon.  I would like to make this journal a interactive one; in that anyone may post to get ideas, feeback and comments.  I want this tank to be a good one that runs well.  I will post more tommorrow and start my thread.  Just giving a heads up.

Edited by Turbostud653 - February 24 2010 at 9:19am
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 1:42am

Lydia and I about a year and half ago purchased  90 gallon tank with a green stand.  Our goal was to strip the stand and shabby sheek it black.  After looking at where we want to put the tank, it wouldn't work out.  The 90 is to tall for where want to put it.  So, we are back to square one. 

About three months ago we saw a add on KSL for a 75 gallon tank and stand.  

The tank was origanlly a medium oak that was in fairly good contion.  We spray painted the tank black to give it a cleaner finish.  To make the stand more show like, we put some backer board on the sides of the tank.  The was a gap in the two doors so we and to put a piece of backer board t cover the sides of the stand.  The doors have a lock on them so we had to cut a hole in the backer board so the lock will sit evenly.  Next thing we need to do is get the tank cleaned and free of most scratches as yu can see that the tank is scratched.  Feel free to post any questions or comments. 

Edited by Turbostud653 - February 24 2010 at 9:36am
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 10:26am
We took the tank to a local Detailing shop in Payson.  He got the tank buffed out in one day.  Its not perfect, but the scratches are 80 percent gone.  The product he used was the Novus scratch remover kit.  We knew that without sanding the tank wouldn't be perfect. It is a big improvement though. 

We are using utah sand as we like the sandy beach look of it.  I like a deep sand bed as we will have some fish that like to bury in the sand.  Thanks to Bob and his know-how we were able to build a plenium.  Since our tank is a 75 gallon, it is only 18 high we didn't want a full plenium.  Reason to this we wanted the sides to have full depth of the sand bed for the fish if they need to bury.

For all the newbies out there, read Bobs post on pleniums.

What we did was build a box out of eggcrate with center supports out of eggcrate.  Zip ties were us to secure elbow pvc pipe to the eggcrate.  The Pvc Pipe is used to supply a base support for the eggcrate.  Joanns has some black bridal vail almost.  Its has very small holes.  This is used to wrap the eggcrate, so no sand will get in the void space. We have a small layer of sand the is protected by the bridal vail.   

There wer major clumps in the sand so we used a strainer to filter the sand.  Afterwards it came out very fine

Here is the sand going in.  You can see the corner of the eggcrate plenium.

The tank is now back from the detailing ready to add the water.

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 10:43am
looks good!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 11:00am
Just looking at your photos, it appears that you have the tank under the thermostat.  That might be an issue since the tank will generally be warmer than the ambient temperature in the house.  It might be a good idea to move the thermostat.  Also you do have a lot of sand in the tank, but I don't think that it is an issue.  I usually don't see tanks with that much sand.

Look'n good though.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 11:12am
we may tank out some of the sand.  We just wanted to be able to have enough t cover our plenium.  Thanks for all your comments.   Please keep them comming!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 3:33pm
Looking good!  What kind of lighting are you going to have?

laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 6:34pm
Wink+1 on the thermostat, the tank will really mess up the heating and cooling needs of the home!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 6:59pm
make sure if you go metal halides that the lights are not pointing down over the middle frame as those are known to fail. T5s are ok though!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 12:50am
we plan on having t-5 in the setup.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 9:26am

My wife Lydia has a pet retile tank that we were going to use as a sump.  We went to a local hardware store to get so acrylic for the baffles.  The acrylic was .100 inch thick.  We then cut holes in the Acrylic to make water flow better.  then we got the clear tubing to connect the overflow to the sump.  We turned it on and it started leaking.  Here are some pics of the sump.

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 3:18pm
Where was it leaking from?
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 3:42pm

from the bottom as we could tell.  It might of been from the pump as the air hose today was spitting out water today.  If anybody wants this sump it free to them.

Edited by Turbostud653 - March 01 2010 at 3:52pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 1:20am

As we were now in need of a sump, a great gentleman from Rose Park donated a 29 gallon tank to us.  The tank has a single glass baffle on one side and three baffles on the other.  the are two on the bottom, one towards the top.  One of the issues with the tank is that the baffle where the pump goes was placed a little to close to the edge of the tank.

Is it better to have the water a few inches above the baffles, or just above the baffles?

The pump we are using is a Odassey pump.  Has anyone had any luck with the pump?  We had some issues with pump flow.  The flow was working, yet the water in the sump was draining.  After working and being frustrated with the tank, I had a idea to chang the pump to the other hose.  Sure enough, that was the problem.  The pum was on backwards.  This allowed the tank to flow like it should of. 

The question we have is the pump hose is smaller then the drain hose.  Every once in a while the drain hose will make a glug sound like there is a big bubble in there What is this caused by and what can we do about it?  I will post more pics tommorrow.
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 2:46am
Is the entire drain hose pointed on a downward slop, or are there sections that are flat or even pointed upward?  I used to use a hose, and the configuration was such that it made the hose do an "s" curve (kind of like the drain trap under your sink).  The drainage was uneven and it frequently "belched."  I recently fitted the same system with regular PVC and 45-degree elbows so the water always flows down.  Now more chance for trapped air, and the thing flows much more smoothly and at a higher rate.  Best thing I can say is to make sure your entire drain path is on a good downward slope.

Edited by Deluxe247 - March 06 2010 at 2:47am
90G Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 7:42pm

After twicking with the setup, I was able to get the setup so it sounds better. I made it so it flows more down.  Also the pipe from the tank was secured to to hose very well.  This caused my tank to run better.

Edited by Turbostud653 - October 15 2010 at 1:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 4:06pm
Update on setup

Its been forever since I posted on my Tank.  Well I have all of my rock in there.  I could use a little bit more.  I think I have around 60 pounds of rock in there.  I still have the same amount of sand in the tank.  Lots of sand yes, but I like a DSB. 

I started out with 4 blue Chromis, but two died shortly after i got them.  The fish must of died from stress being that they were in the bag for like 10 hours before they were able to be in the tank.  The other two are doing great as of now.  Then I got a yellow Watchman Goby.  My wife though he was lonely and he look it all by himself.  After like two months we got our Goby a friend (Tiger Snapper Shrimp)  He seems to be happier now.  The shrimp like to dig and puts sand everywhere.  Thats all for the fish I have.  I will post more later with pics

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic