Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Instant Ocean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 8:46pm
I think you have a very good point in theory, Terence, but since we can't / don't measure for most trace elements in a home environment we kind of have to take the manufacturer's word for it as far as label claims on various trace element concentrations go.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 10:21pm
Mortons here
Big smile
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 11:20pm
I have to supplement my mortons with 50/50 epson saltLOLDead

PS FOR ALL THE NOOBS DONT USE MORTONS OR EPSON SALT THIS IS SARCASTIC

Edited by sanddune600 - February 25 2010 at 11:21pm
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 12:49am
Damn, too late...
Todd
14g nano mixed reef project
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 1:13pm
I just stop by the State Road salt shed and get a shovel or two...Dead
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 1:31pm
I pick at the chunks of ice on my car.  It's got lots of minerals in it and the salinity is close enough.  Sure, I have to clean my filter floss more often, but it's well worth it. Wacko
Todd
14g nano mixed reef project
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 3:38pm
Here is a link to a comparison of the elements in the different salt brands.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/planasystem/ig/Guide-Charts--Tables--Diagrams/Comparison-Table-of-Primary-El.htm

And for BMW Oil Brands ClapClap
http://sandiegobmw.wordpress.com/2008/07/11/oil-and-your-bmw-which-is-the-best/

Edited by Roy - February 26 2010 at 3:40pm
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Roy Roy wrote:

And for BMW Oil Brands ClapClap
http://sandiegobmw.wordpress.com/2008/07/11/oil-and-your-bmw-which-is-the-best/

Thanks for that link but I know what oils can be used in my carLOL

I use Mobil 1 0W-40 myself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 4:03pm
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 9:44am
I like to blend oceanic and instant ocean.  One is higher is Ca but low in Alk and the other is higher in Alk but low in Ca.
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 12:57pm
Where are you guys finding the best deals on RC and Oceanic salt around town?  I looked at the price of RC at a local shop last night and couldn't believe how expensive it was. Shocked
I've seen it much cheaper at several shops and can't see how they could price it that high with a straight face.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 1:09pm
Reef Runners sells the Oceaninc buckets for like $55.

Last time I was at Aquatica which was months and months ago, they had RC for $50.

My Premium Aquatics order hasn't shipped yet so if you want me to bring you in a bucket of wither let me know. Shipping is only $10.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 2:29pm
The best deal is when The Aquarium has their 10% off with 15% off on Tuesday coupons...with tax it is like $50 for an Oceanic bucket.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by thefu thefu wrote:

The best deal is when The Aquarium has their 10% off with 15% off on Tuesday coupons...with tax it is like $50 for an Oceanic bucket.

What is a Tuesday Coupon?
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 5:59pm
Get on their mailing list. They send out coupons every week. Sometimes the coupons are for dry goods and are 10% off but 5% extra if you come in on Tuesday.
Aquatic Evolution View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 7:01pm
Our everyday sale price for Oceanic and Reef Crystals is $49.99! No coupons needed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Aquatica Aquatica wrote:

Our everyday sale price for Oceanic and Reef Crystals is $49.99! No coupons needed

good to know i'll have to swing by,
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Aquatica

What about oil?

downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2010 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

Some dose everyday and others never do a freaking water change. That is like never changing the oil on your car. Stuff builds and needs to be removed and have some good clean fresh oil(water) put in to clean it up.

I am one of these people. I do water changes every 6 months, whicIh means I have only done 1 since starting my tank after moving to Utah. I am not sure that your statement is "entirely" true, but for the most part I agree. I do feel that people can have a very stable and successful aquarium without doing water changes every week.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2010 at 1:10am
Originally posted by downhill_biker downhill_biker wrote:

Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

Some dose everyday and others never do a freaking water change. That is like never changing the oil on your car. Stuff builds and needs to be removed and have some good clean fresh oil(water) put in to clean it up.

I am one of these people. I do water changes every 6 months, whicIh means I have only done 1 since starting my tank after moving to Utah. I am not sure that your statement is "entirely" true, but for the most part I agree. I do feel that people can have a very stable and successful aquarium without doing water changes every week.

Oh I don't do them every week, maybe every 3 if I am lucky. I have read stories where people have gone 2 years and then wonder why their tank is going to hell. Or their tank starts crashing and when you ask for the maintenance they have done, they look at you like like you just spoke to them in Chinese.

Some people can get away with bi-annual water changes. You have the system to handle that. On my small nano though, I really notice it if I miss a month.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic