Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tiger pods.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tiger pods.
    Posted: February 25 2010 at 12:10pm
Hey guys, I want to increase and diversify my Copeopod population in my tank.  At aquatic dreams they have bottles of live "tiger pods"  They seem cool and say it can start a colony of them in my tank.  Has anyone ever tried this?  Thanks.
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 7:43pm
Its easier to grow them in a 5 gallon bucket. Check out the link...

Life is good....right?
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 11:10pm
It's fun to grow a variety of different pods for your tank if you really want diversity.
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 2:55pm
I really want to be able to have a healthy, happy manderin.  So I am willing to start colonies of whatever I need to now.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 3:14pm
EDIT- see clarification below

Adam

Edited by Adam Blundell - March 03 2010 at 1:52pm
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 4:10pm
THanks adam, Do you think a 10 gallon refugium setup in line with my sump will be sufficient? 

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 9:01pm
I'm going to say yes it will certainly help.  But I don't know much about your other than what I'm seeing in your signature.  I guess it all depends on what you are trying to keep and feed (mandarins, tangs, wrasse, ????)

Adam
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 12:44am
Yeah, it will be about 10 gallon dedicated refugium space.  The only fish that I will have that requires live food will be the mandarin.  But I will probably be getting some wrasses, no tangs (isn't a 55 to small?)  A clown, blenny, goby and cardinal.  Thats about it probably.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2010 at 1:58pm
CLARIFICATION-

It was brought to my attention that I may have confused some people regarding the use of tiggerpods.  Tiggerpods are a great food for adult fishes.  Adding some to your refugium, starting a culture, or just buying some as food are all good ideas. 

The reason I hear people saying not to use tiggerpods is because they are a poor food choice for larval fishes.  So if you are growing food because you are raising fish, then many breeders will tell you that these pods are just too aggressive to use as a food. 
And if you are growing food to feed your reef, you'd be best to grow rotifers.  You can buy all the algae you want dirt cheap from reed mariculture and just grow rotifers in a bucket and away you go. 

So I don't want to say that tiggerpods are bad, that isn't the case.  I just want to make sure people are raising them for the right reason (to feed their fish or large polyped corals); and not for the wrong reasons (to feed sps or to feed larval fishes).

I hope that makes sense.

Adam
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 6:26pm
FWIW, I tried to add these to my refugium a few weeks ago.  Slowly acclimated the culture by pouring in a bucket and adding small amounts of aquarium water over the course of several hours.  Finally poured bucket into refugium and it looked like things were all good.  Was sad to see quite a few dead floaters the next day and very few live, active tiggers.  A few days later, no live ones were anywhere to be found.....
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 7:46pm
I have to say, some of the lfs's that carry the tigger pods from reef nutrition, i question when and how long they got that shipment in.  I understand keeping them in the fridge will aid in giving them a longer shelf life but according to their directions it says to keep them in room temp and give them some air and a drop of phyto every so often.

I've seen other folks culture them but I've dosed my tanks in the past and I've never seen them either at night or in the day.  The only thing I can think of is they don't keep their red color and look like every other copepod.
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 11:58pm
Regardging my post above, the bottling date sticker was dated less than a week before I put them in my refugium.
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 11:56am
I have grow tiggers since first introduced by Reed Mariculture.  Depending on their diet there color will change opaque cream to bright red.  There life expectancy in a show tank will be very low unless you dose the tank with phyto.  They are hard enough to see in a 1 gallon culture let alone once added to a system with chaotic flow.  My advice would be to grow a one gallon or larger culture and dose your tank a couple of times a week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic