Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 180 Reef Build!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jasob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 10:00pm
Sounds like you're making good progress, it'll be a sweet setup!!  One thing that is amazing is it seems you're moving at the pace you have planned, which is always harder to do than it is to think about.
Jason
Tooele, UT
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 11:44pm
I'll update pics asap. I'm hoping to have everything in the tank within the next week or 2 and let things settle for a couple weeks before the tour. (Fingers Crossed) Right now the tanks sole occupant (besides the few snails) is a large red ball sponge.

Edited by CapnMorgan - March 29 2010 at 11:56pm
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 12:32am
I'm really excited for you, man. Ive' seen the preliminary set up and It is going to be awesome. I'll be stopping by for the Reef Tour with my family to stare!
leafeater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leafeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 8:31am
Have you played with the par38 light? Is it working out pretty well?

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 7:14pm
I have yet to receive them but they have been ordered. I will let you know as soon as they arrive. Today I stacked some of the rock, and moved the first three fish into the tank along with most of my sponge collection and a couple non-photosynthetic gorgonians. I'll hang the light fixture tomorrow and move pretty much everything else. I am making my rock arrangement as open as possible with lots of arches and holes for fish, while still having plenty of room for corals. I Will also have a very open sandbed for maximum filtration capacity. I'll be moving the rest of my rock fish and corals over the next 2 days, so I have my fingers crossed. The rock and sand are fully cured and I have seen no evidence of any sort of cycle. Ammonia and nitrite are both at zero with nitrates around 20ppm. I will be able to bring this down pretty easily after I move my huge assortment of macro algae to the new fuge. The sandbed in the display is also 3-4" deep and all oolitic sand. My skimmer is my insurance policy, so that in the event of something bad it should help reduce the pollutants in the water along with AC and my UV sterilizer. I took a bunch of pics but ran out of time before heading into work so I'll post them tomorrow.

Edited by CapnMorgan - March 30 2010 at 8:09pm
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 7:13pm
Got everything moved today and it is settling in. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 8:37pm
Posted a few pics of the tank as it sits now. Everything has been moved (minus a couple RBTA's) but I will move them tomorrow. Everything is doing well and levels are all normal.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 8:52pm
Thats looking pretty goodThumbs Up Lets see the sump.

Edited by tcfab - March 31 2010 at 8:52pm
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 6:05pm
Updated Pics
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 6:37pm
Looks really good, I like itThumbs Up
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 2:42am
More pics coming today, everything has really settled in nicely, and I only have a couple more corals I'm going to add, with plenty of room left for grow out. It turned out WAY better than I though it would and didn't lose a single fish or coral to the stresses of the move; now I'm just going to let everything grow out. My levels are still rock solid and I think I can put most worries of inadequate bio filtration behind me, but I will still keep a close eye on it over the next couple months. I'm just waiting on my PAR38's and I'll be all set as far as appearances go. I still need to hook up my RO and ATO. My next project is to set up a small tank for the Frogfish so he doesn't have to be in my frag tank anymore.  

Here is my final (minus one) fish count as the tank sits now:
Pearly Jawfish
Blue Spotted Jawfish
Bluejaw Trigger (male and female)
Powder Brown Tang
Naso Tang
Foxface
Maldives Lyretail Anthias
Green Mandarin
Purple Firefish
Christmas Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse
Solon Fairy Wrasse
Unidentified Flasher Wrasse (I'll try to get some good pics, he really doesn't look like any flasher I can find on the net or in my books.)
Yellowtail Damsel
Coral Beauty Angel
2 Black Clakii's
2 Orange Percs
1 Black Perc

Interesting Inverts:
Christmas Tree Worms
Pink "Hotdog" Cucumber
Orange Linkia
Blue Linkia
8" Deresa Clam
6" Teardrop Maxima clam
2- 2" Maximas clam
4" Crocea clam
4" Squamosa clam
Aussie Spider Sponge
Blue "Ping Pong" sponge
Red Ball Sponge
Red Tree Sponge
Orange Ear Sponge
Red Chili Sponge
Cleaner Shrimp
Brittle Star
A giant Emerald Crab aka "The Hulk" (he actually is quite grumpy)
Pink/Orange Acro Crab in my favorite Acro colony

Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 4:36pm
Updated with more pics
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 4:44pm
Looks great man just wish you didn't live so far away... would love to see it in person
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 4:50pm
It's not that far LOL Shane drove out here from Brigham City, so Sandy isn't that far! You'll just have to hang out for a bit so it's worth the drive. There's a couple other awesome tanks out here you could stop and see too.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 12:33am
I agree.  I'm in Roy, and I plan on getting out there for the reef tour.  Your tanks are pretty cool.
90G Mixed Reef
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Deluxe247 Deluxe247 wrote:

I agree.  I'm in Roy, and I plan on getting out there for the reef tour.  Your tanks are pretty cool.
Thanks! I'm excited to see who all makes it out here. I'll be grilling hotdogs etc. for everyone as well. I'll start cooking at about 11:15
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 1:28pm
hmm.. a food bribery. I might just have to swing by Tooele!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 1:49pm
Did I see my "True-Blue-Fu" in there?  I think I sold you one the first couple of frags from it. If so, it is looking pretty nice.
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 2:02pm
TheFu- You did. It was about 1" long when I got it in November and is now almost 4". It's grown in nicely. 

LuckedOut- You should swing by, Art and Glen both have nice tanks as well; it's not such a bad drive if you visit all 3 stops.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 9:50pm
So my final count on fish looks like this:

2 T.R. Orange Perculas
1 Black Percula
2 Black/Yellow Clarkii's
Green Mandarin
Bluespot jawfish
Pearly Jawfish
Bluejaw Trigger (pair)
Naso Tang
Foxface
Powder Brown Tang
Mystery Wrasse
Christmas Wrasse
Flasher Wrasse
Solon Fairy Wrasse
Maldives Lyretail Anthias
Yellowtail Damsel
Coral Beauty Angel
Bangaii Cardinal
and last but certainly not least...
A Surprise fish for those who make it out here for the Reef Tour (pending all goes well between now and then)

Edited by CapnMorgan - April 05 2010 at 9:51pm
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic