Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 210 gallons of drama!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 210 gallons of drama!!!
    Posted: March 08 2010 at 2:50am
So some of you know about the 210 gallon tank I bought last month that ended in tragedy in the driveway while bring it into the house. It ended up looking like this:

Which then left all the LR, LS, coral, and fish to spend the next month living like this:

I had these plumbed to a 40 gallon sump in the stand with a protien skimmer!LOL
So I think I should sign this up for tank of the month or maybe the 2010 Reef Tour! What do you think?LOLLOLLOL

After a few weeks of trying to find new glass to replace the broken panel I leaned that All Glass Aquariums were on sale for 40% off. So I called around and found John down at Reef Runners who sold me a brand new 210 gallon tank for just alittle more than what it was going to cost for the new glass panel. So here it is my new 210 gallon tank:

Unfortunitly the cat was the only thing that made it in the tank today! Due to the fact one of my overflow kits was missing a bulkhead. Hope to get one tomorrow and get this thing filled! So for now the LR, LS, coral, and fish are here still:

A few thing I picked up for the tank:
I'm going to try this out on the back of the tank. What do you think? Anyone tried this before? If so how was it?

Then I got some of this suff to put under my sand for the rocks to sit on:

I also have one of these coming in tomorrow sometime:

< method=post =https://order.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/wg-order?yhst-8906562569788+phoenix4-current-pum4>
Item# phoenix4-current-pum4
$37.00
< =ys_primary title="Add to cart" value="Add to cart" =submit>< value=yhst-8906562569788 = name=vwcatalog>< value=phoenix4-current-pum4 = name=vwitem>< value=http://www.foo-dog.us/phoenix4-current-pum4. = name=.autodone>

Product Description

Deluxe Dual Power Head 120 VAC 60 Hz, 24 Watts - very energy efficient. Click image for larger view.

3075 Gallons per hour of flow. Dual pump configuration fitted with specially designed impellers that create wide laminar flow that is ideal for corals, fish and plants, just like the wave action on a reef.

Comes with directional snap on nozzles if you want strong directional flow that feature 360 degree rotation they can be pointed anywhere in the tank.

Ideal for Salt or Fresh Water Fully submersable water pump puts life and energy back into your tank and eliminates dead spots.

Recommended Tank Size 150 - 400 Gallons. For larger tanks or if you need very high flow use multiple pumps.

UNIQUE FEATURE - Titanium Shaft, stronger than ceramic with all the rust free benefits. Titanium shaft ensures low noise and high reliability.

These are high quality pumps, just like Hydor Koralia, Tunze or others, but without the ridiculous price!

Comes apart easily for cleaning.

Mounting base has 3 suction cups and the articulated ball joint allows for 360 degree rotation.

Edited by arthuriv - March 08 2010 at 2:57pm
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 3:19am
Nice saltwater catfish.
Todd
14g nano mixed reef project
jmorrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 11:35am
the 210....not so good, but the totes look great!
providence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote providence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 12:01pm
what you doing with the broken 210 tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 12:04pm
Why the eggcrate panel in the sand? Is there some kind of thing going around that rocks should sit on that rather than on the sand or touching the glass bottom?

FWIW that's not a good idea and is unecessary. Rocks are not that heavy in water and sitting on the sand is sufficient protection. I usually wiggle and push the base rocks almost down to the glass. They sit there just fine and never sink, unless a sand throwing goby digs under them. (Those guys are murder on a live sand bed anyway so I don't keep them.) 

When it comes time to stir the sand the process will stop at the eggcrate. That's going to cause maintenance/tank health problems in the long term. I would not use eggcrate like that.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 12:40pm
It just looks like the eggcrate is going to be used to prevent jumpers no =)? I see it as being on the top of the tank...
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 12:43pm
He says on the picture its for UNDER the sand. I wouldn't do it.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 1:06pm
ah =) lol my bad yeah I wouldn't do it either...
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 1:13pm

It was suggested to me that if I wanted to have something like a Blue spotted jawfish that digs in the sand that I should place the eggcrate suff under the rocks. Also I have been told it is good for keeping the rock from creating pressure points on the glass.

So your saying I shouldn't use the eggcrate then?
What do you thing of the mirrored film that I'm thinking of putting on the back of the tank?

Thank you!
Arthur
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 1:42pm
I wouldn't use the eggcrate either. There are better ways of keeping a jawfish, like a DIY Condo.

Mirrors provide depth, so it could look pretty neat. It'd make the tank look deeper, plus it would provide a way to see back into corners and behinds rocks. I've never really seen it done personally so I can't say. I guess if you didn't like the look you could always take it off. It also depends on how you do your aquascaping. It'd look better with a more open tank. If you have a lot of rocks along the back it probably wouldn't be noticeable.

Edited by Luckedout - March 08 2010 at 1:50pm
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 2:33pm
I use eggcrate under my sand to prevent the rock from creating pressure points on the sand. As far as there being "better" ways to keep a jawfish, I like to let them dig their own burrow, it's really interesting to watch. If the rock is sitting right on bottom then they can't dig under it to make it collapse. Even if you build them a condo they may not choose to live in it. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 2:34pm
I was thinking I would stack a pile of rock on one end of the tank and then maybe have a few piece come down the back but not alot and then a few smaller piece here and there as needed but I want to have a nice open sand bed  in the middle and front of the tank. I also want to try and hide the powerheads in the rocks as best as possible as well.
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 2:36pm
As for the eggcrate I wasn't planning on putting it throughout the whole tank. I was just thinking I would put it under the large rock pile I'm planning to put on the one end of the tank.
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 4:56pm
Had new 3/4" bulkhead picked up for me. Should be ready to install when I get home. Just have to find some help to lift the tank off the block and sit it into the stand so I can finish plumbing it!
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 5:02pm
Man I can't wait to see this thing set up =) I love 210s!
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 5:22pm
Very cool. I can't wait to see it setup.
I put rock right on the glass bottom before I added sand. Then I saw people using eggcrate like this and thought I had made a mistake with the rock on the glass. But I just left it as it was working and it is still working. I guess the pressure points are not too bad.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 7:34pm
The bottom is tempered glass (in most cases) There is really no need for the egg crate except wanting it. However having a stale area that the under sand water movement cant reach will cause some nasty areas to deal with in the future. If you ever need to move the rock you will release the stinky poisons into your water. I saw a awesome demonstration at MACNA that showed the way water moved under the sand, very neat.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 3:20pm
I agree with Dione and Madreefer.  If you're going to have burrowing fish then just set the base rocks on the bottom before the sand.  If you're really worried about the glass, I've heard of people laying down a sheet of starboard on the glass. It protects the glass without trapping sand and creating stagnant zones.
90G Mixed Reef
SmokeyBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 3:49pm
Looks like you've got a 210 reptile tank for sale eh? Anyone looking to house a tegu?Tongue
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 1:51am
So the mirrored film is installed on the back. I can tell that was a lot of fun!!! The Jawfish condos are built and in the tank. . Then tonight I started to fill it!!!!! . So far it has 50 gallons, a little sand and a few pieces of live rock in it for tonight. Only have 200 more gallons till the whole system in filled!

Thursday 6 Oct 2016
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic