Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement MH bulb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rick grigsby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick grigsby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement MH bulb
    Posted: March 16 2010 at 3:50pm
First of all I wanted to thank everyone for the previous help ( salwater noob here ).  I have a few questions:

1.  I purchased a used JBJ gallon nano as my first tank. It has 72 watts CF. Tank has multiple corals, SPS, mushrooms, Zoos, Palythos, Kenya trees, toadstools, finger leathers.  I removed the lighting and purchased a 150 w + 28 watt actinic light that is an Odyssea brand.  I know it is cheap.  I did this to see how it would go.  The corals actually really started growing and many of them are splitting/spreading/etc.  However, the light looks yellow to me.  I want to buy a 150 watt DE replacement bulb, but not sure if the ballast will fire a Phonnix or some of the nice bulbs.  Suggestions?  OH..yes I know it is cheap, but I plan on re-doing the lights in June.  Suggestions on that?
2.  Can zoos get too much light?  it seems the ones in the lower tank do well, but the ones at top seem not to be thriving.
3.  I change 5% water every other two weeks and the water parametrs are good.  Except for nitrates, I am still around 50 ppm but everybody seems happy.  Is this over/under doing it?
4.  How do you frag a hariy mushroom?  I ahve 2 that are at least 7 inches in diameter.
5.  I have fog spawn and Torch coral which are growing great..however, they are growing toward one another, is this a problem?
6.  I have a lot of macro algae growing in the corner of the tank.  Both green, one is Caulerpa and the other is the twisty green leaves.  i want to move these into the back and use one of the chamber for a refugium.  Suggestions on lights or doing this appreciated!

Thanks again!

Rick

12 gallon nano
24 gallon nano
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 4:18pm
1- probably not without overheating your wiring and hardware which could cause a fire.
2- Not in my experience, but you changed out the lighting in one day which put your corals into light shock. Anytime you increase the lighting you should slowly increase the time the new light is on every day over at least a week, starting with a couple hours then moving up from there. I have found some zoas like more light/flow and some like less.
3-In a nano this is underdoing it. You should be changing about 10% at least ever two weeks; depending on your bioload every week might not be a bad idea.
4- Use a razorblade and score it into equal parts (halves or fourths) through the mouth right down to the rock. They will move apart and form new discs.
5- Yes they are both aggressive corals and should not meet if you can help it.
6- PC lighting would work fine, like the 18w coralife mini aqualight, or even a spiral compact fluorescent bulb would be fine.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic