Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bristleworms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
daisygirl26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daisygirl26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bristleworms
    Posted: March 22 2010 at 8:18pm
I just got my tank and I am seeing alot of worms in it. They come out mainly at night time and some are up to over a foot long. I looked at some pictures and I think they are bristleworms, are they bad and how do I get rid of them.
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 8:21pm
People don't like them because of aesthetics reasons, I love them, sign of a health tank.  They are part of the clean up crew in my book.
daisygirl26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daisygirl26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 8:22pm
I have alot of them do i need to control them or should i not worry about them?
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 8:25pm
You might want to take the biggest ones out.
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 8:26pm
Don't touch them though use tweezers!!!!
Chance Evans
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 8:42pm
They are good for your system but I would get the ones out that are over six or so inches.  
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 11:49pm
As with most "unsolicited" species in our tanks, bristleworms are generally good because they do help consume detritus and other waste.  But they can reach nuisance proportions.  From my understanding, they thrive in tanks where overfeeding is a problem.  So to keep populations in check, always be sure not to overfeed, and try to remove any excess food.  there are a couple of thread about how to catch bristleworms with traps.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36683&KW=trap

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36868&KW=trap

Also, you can employ predators to help balance their numbers.  Sixline wrasses and arrow crabs are a couple.
90G Mixed Reef
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 9:06am
I have never seen a bristleworm over a foot long, can you take a picture?
Some day, when I grow up,...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic