Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Candelabra Gorgonian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Candelabra Gorgonian
    Posted: March 27 2010 at 6:48pm
My candelabra gorgonian has not been very happy the last several days.  It was opening up really good for the first while, but lately it won't open.  Right now I can get it to open a little when I feed the tank.  However, sometime later it is closed up again.  The blade and silver gorgonians are looking happy, all of my corals are looking happy, so I am perplexed.

One thing that I did notice was a damsel that was picking at the polyps.  I have been training the damsel by spooking it when it gets near it, and I have been feeding the tank a bit more to keep it well fed.  Since then it has not been picking at it.  This stopped about a week ago.

Water parameters:
SG 1.0235
Ak 11.6dkh*
CA 475**
Mg 1120**
pH 8.0
Temp 75-78

*seachem test kit
**redsea test kits

Edited by WhiteReef - March 28 2010 at 4:28pm
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2010 at 4:48pm
Well I thought I would check a few other parameters to make sure they are in normal ranges.  When I tested the pH on a test kit that I can read better, it was much lower.  This might the culprit.  Also I was noticing ammonia and nitrate a little higher than what I usually keep things at.  Along with that Mg is on the lower scale of things.  Any suggestions on getting the pH to the 8.2 range and Mg in the 1300 range?

I think that I know why my ammonia and nitrates are little on the high side, I have been feeding the tank a bit for the last while.  I have been feeding a pinch of spiralina, a small amount of tubifex worms, 6 phyto concentrated drops, and two frozen brine cubes in the morning.  Then in the evening I have been feeding 2 frozen mysis cubes and golden pearls.  This has been my feeding schedule for the last few weeks, and I think that I am just dealing with overfeeding on that front.

any thoughts?

pH 7.8
Nitrates ~15mg/l
Nitrites <0.2 mg/l
Ammonia 0.2 mg/l
last water change 2 weeks ago
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2010 at 8:40pm
Well the damsel still has a liking for the coral.  Do I just keep feeding like I mentioned above and sit at the tank for hours on end trying to train a fish?  Or should I just build a fish trap and remove it?  I have the acrylic and glue to build one.

Note: I am rather certain that this same damsel chose to eat my nice green birds nest frag from Nick.  He was seen at least once picking at it.

HELP!
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2010 at 10:01pm
Catch and flush. I wouldnt think twice.....
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 10:05pm
I hooked me some fish in my tank!  Here are the hooks I used.  I went over to FishTech to get them, and had to use 1-2lb test line to tie them.  All I did was use some krill and I caught my clarkii (he was to aggressive for my liking and was nipping my gorgonians) and the damsel too!  Just after that short little thing and my gorgonians look so much better.  If anyone wants my damsel fish let me know he is cool looking, just everything a damsel fish is and a coral nipper.

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by WhiteReef WhiteReef wrote:

Any suggestions on getting the pH to the 8.2 range and Mg in the 1300 range?

Yes, it's the extra food that causes these kinds of issues, including a contribution to lower pH.
any thoughts?
pH 7.8 describe the setup with regard to water flow, gas exchange, algae in the system, etc.
The other levels are not bad
A pic would help.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic