Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

melafix safe for cleaner shrimp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mashfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: melafix safe for cleaner shrimp
    Posted: March 29 2010 at 4:09pm
I have been puting melafix in the water to treat a fish. I'm getting a cleaner shrimp tomorrow and I'm wanting to know if the water is safe to put the cleaner shrimp in. I don't want to kill him. Help
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 6:33pm
do you plan to continue putting the melafix in? or are you done with the treatment? also did it ever help with the fish you where treating?

if it was me Id maybe just do a little water change and toss some carbon on there wait a few days and call it good =) to add few shrimps or whatever

mashfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 6:51pm
I stopped treatment yesterday and it did not help the fish. It killed it cause I was doing garlic at the same time. I did a 12 gallon water change today. I have a 55 gallon and I will not add anymore melafix. I'm coming out to salt lake tomorrow to get my shrimp but I don't want him to die. Do you think I will be safe
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 7:09pm
Id think it would be ok... I actually just was using some melafix in my seahorse tank when I had a sick bluespot jawfish... and I have 8 peppermint shrimp in there none of them died =)
mashfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 7:17pm
Ok good to know. Thanks for the help
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by mashfan mashfan wrote:

It killed it cause I was doing garlic at the same time.
Intereasting comment. What  brings that conclusion? What was the problem with the fish?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
mashfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 7:52pm
That's what mark said he thinks it is. The garlic and melafix made a while film on the top of the water. All the fish were at the bottom of the tank. The tang had died but the clown wasn't dead yet. I did a water change and used a papertowel to get the film off the top of the water. The clown has not died yet. Thank heavens. Mark thinks the tang suffocated and I agree since as soon as I got oxygen back in the water the clown pulled out of it. Hopefully he makes it. Please tell me your opinion though. I don't know anything
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 8:01pm
That would make some sense. I was trying to think if their was a chemical reaction of some sort and was at a loss. 

From here out you need a power head pointed up to keep the water churning  on the surface. That way you wont have any issues with gas exchange. (thats what killed the fish vs the medication and supplement) Oxygen has to be introduced into the water and that is the easiest way to do it.

Do you have a sump?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
mashfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 8:08pm
I do not have a sump I have a canister filter. The sump is my next investment. Do you think my cleaner shrimp starfish cucumber snails crabs will live if I add them tomorrow?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 8:27pm
If I remember right melafix is an organic herbal medication. Way back when I used it a couple of times. (It made my skimmers go nuts.) I'm going to say you should be OK. Just make sure you do your water changes and point a power head in the upward motion to keep the water churning.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
mashfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 8:41pm
What do you use to get rid Of fungus on fish? What kind of overflow box do you recommend?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 8:53pm
Quarantine in a separate tank, treat with copper/antibiotics or what ever is recommended. Overflow box.....Im not a fan so I couldn't say.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
mashfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 8:58pm
Y arn't you a fan of them?
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 11:51pm
Overflow boxes are unreliable, they can break the siphon easily and if the power fails the siphon often won't restart on it's own, then causing one of the following: your display will flood, or your pump will burn up due to running out of water for it to move. A drilled overflow is always better and 100x more reliable if done correctly.

Edited by CapnMorgan - March 30 2010 at 12:55am
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 12:35am
Exactlly.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
mashfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 9:35am
What would you do then. I have a tank that's not drilled. Would you just use a cannister filter?
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 11:23am
Buy a good overflow box instead of the crappy one Dion and CapnMorgan have used.Wink

I've had an overflow box for going on 9 years and NEVER once had a siphon break.  I've had an anemone crawl in and cause problems once, but they can cause similar problems with drilled tanks.

Now if only I knew what brand overflow box I have I would be much more help.  Unfortunately, there is nothing on it that says a brand name and when I bought it it was simply wrapped up in shrink wrap.  I bought it at Fish 4 U though if that helps.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 11:24am
A overflow box and sump is far better for filtration. I would use the canister for charcoal and phosban. Short of tearing the tank down to be drilled the overflow box is your only option. Use a cpr with a aqua lifter. Of the systems they seam to be the most reliable.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Will Spencer Will Spencer wrote:

Buy a good overflow box instead of the crappy one Dion and CapnMorgan have used.Wink

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 11:27am
Also, I have actually had decent luck using Melafix and Pimafix together to treat fungus on fish.  It does make the skimmer go crazy though so those need to be turned off.  Also as Dion said you need a powerhead pointed up at the surface of the water to keep it roiling.  Both Melafix and Pimafix are oils and they can cause a film on the surface which would keep oxygen from entering the water if the surface is calm and still.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic