Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

too much light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: too much light
    Posted: October 15 2004 at 2:23pm
I am putting 2 250 watt 14k bulbs on a 55 gallon tank. is this too much? Adam say's you can never have too much! But i wanted to get everyones opinion.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2004 at 2:43pm
2x250w seems like overkill to me .. unless it will mainly be SPS dominant. If is is not and if it were my 55 tank I'd go for something like this 48" Aqualight Pro, 2x 150W HQI + 2x 96W Actinic + 3 Blue Moonlight LEDs . Ryan at aquatic dream used to have one in his store and it was REALLY cool. I think i also saw one up at fish for u.

Personally i think that you might have to hide softies and zoos in the shadows. That bei9ng said i am going to put 2 or 3 250s on my 120 and i do have a 150w over my 14" deep frag tank. Some zoos grow really fast and a small minority just melt away.

I wouldnt mind hearing some other opinions!

Edited by coreyk
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2004 at 4:07pm
I seem to remember that Algae Blundell commented on how nice and bright his tank looked after he did his yearly glass cleaning. Perhaps all that extra light isn't as necessary as he once suggested.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2004 at 5:17pm
Not providing proper lighting to captive corals
in the hopes that the light provided will turn
out to be “adequate” is foolish (Borneman 2001)

If you're a zoanthid/mushroom/lps fan then it might be a bit bright (unless you go with 20k bulbs).  If you're going to grow sps/clams/some softies, then it'll be ok, imo.
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2004 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Not providing proper lighting to captive corals
in the hopes that the light provided will turn
out to be “adequate” is foolish (Borneman 2001)

If you're a zoanthid/mushroom/lps fan then it might be a bit bright (unless you go with 20k bulbs).  If you're going to grow sps/clams/some softies, then it'll be ok, imo.

Took the words right out of my mouth.  I concur.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2004 at 10:34am
Borneman knows just the right way to say it. I feel impressed, and educated. Thanks Adam.
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2004 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

So if you have a 20k, its better for zo's, mush, lps's? And a 14k is better for the sps, and clams? Can you still have clams, and sps under a 20k?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2004 at 1:22pm

Oh, what a bag of worms this discussion could become

IMO, it's intensity in the mid to low spectrum that "burn" corals.  20K bulbs are not very intense (at least in the mid/low spectrums).  10K bulbs are very intense in that spectral range.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2004 at 10:31pm
Bristleworms are good but bags of worms... What kind of light do they need?
jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 2:00pm
I think your gonna need to shield your eyes when you look at the tank.
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 2:02pm
So, I'm curious what did you decide?
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 3:13pm
I just bought 2- 250 watt 14k's from Eric. I don't want to have my tanks telling me i'm not taking care of them. I have 2 frag tanks that i also run the 250's on and they really aren't that brite but my corals like em! thanks for all the advise. I appreciate it
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic