Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 gallon ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 gallon ideas
    Posted: April 11 2010 at 12:05pm
I've been thinking about building a 10 g nano. I'm planning on doing large weekly water changes so I'm not going to use a skimmer. I'll probably want a place to put some carbon though, and I want to incorporate an auto top-off. I'm not exactly sure how I want to do flow, either some sort of closed loop or magnet mounted powerheads.

Does anyone have any pics of some standard size, 10 g setups? I'd be interested to see what other people have come up with.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 1:33pm
I caution against large water changes. If a reef aquarium is set up like shown below, there simply is no need, and large water changes are detrimental to biological stability as well as being the cause of problems if missed. A nano is really no different than a larger tank.
A skimmer is unnecessary. Coral, sponge, and numerous bugs and worms filter the water.

Here is some sponge that grew quickly. This is a view from the left side of the tank above.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 11 2010 at 1:40pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 1:40pm
Mark, how long did that 10 in the picture run? I see a couple of sps in there, how did they do? Did this tank have a skimmer or anything, a sump? What kind of water changes did you do with it? I'd be interested in some more details.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 1:43pm

I had it for about 6 months and then gave it to my brother Rodney for his kids. I remember they still had it going years later. It might still be running, though I doubt it looks the same nowWink He has had a 75 running all that time too.

One of the SPS, the prettier one, about doubled in size during the time I had it.

There are a few pieces of Frogspawn that Rodney gave me from his tank. One was a new bud growing from the lower part of the stalk of his Frogspawn. I remember it was about the shape and size of the sharpened tip of a pencil and in this tank it grew very fast. One piece is visible fully expanded and stretched way out just left of center and the other is just 4 inches away at top center. 

No skimmer.
No sump.
10% monthly water changes.
It got some sunlight and had just one 36W pink/blue PC
It was TOTM July 2003. You can read more about it in the Tank of the Month tab.

More pics

Of course there are fancier ways to set up a 10 gal tank, but I think these pictures tell a pretty good story.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 11 2010 at 7:30pm
jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 8:26pm
That looks pretty cool, I read through the TOTM article. Do you still use tap water for your tanks? In the past I've had ~10 gallon tanks and they have eventually had problems with bubble algae and other nuisance algae, what do you attribute your success to?
Mattfudd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattfudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 11:26am
What did it cost you to get this tank up and running?
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 4:30pm
How many fish are on this nano tank? its a pretty cool setup. I wish mine look as good as yoursSmile
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 5:34pm
Okay, for starters, I'm not as cool as Mark... Now that we have that out of the way.

I keep a nano with a yellow tail damsel, a clown, and bunch of softies (GSP, Kenya, you know cheap stuff) and a couple of chocolate chip stars. It isn't the prettiest tank in the world, but my two year old loves it. Every morning he has to say good morning to the stars, and every night he has to tell them goodnight.

I don't know if you have kids or not, but if you do, set up a basic chocolate chip star tank, they'll love it!
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 12:53pm
as far as any nano I have ever seen built, this is probably my favorite

obviously this guy has no problem with spending money, but this should at least give you some idea of the most extreme you could get with your build, plus I thought some of you would like it as well, so figured I would share.

Edited by Ahanix - April 13 2010 at 1:01pm
Lurkerz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurkerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 4:09pm
Love that Fungia Mark My wife would go crazy over one with that much purple
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 6:11pm
Here is mine, only around 2 months old, but cleaning up well.

Edited by fishoutawater - April 13 2010 at 8:43pm
Some day, when I grow up,...

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 3:21pm
Where did you get that rock?
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 3:54pm
Fishoutofwater that is awsome tank you have im just starting another nano tank my self, having crush coral on my first nano is hard to have those nitrates down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 6:39pm
Oolitic sand is the best sand I've found for hosting the number of bacteria needed to effectively filter the water.
The oolitic sand settles underneath larger particle sands.
Notice the worm trails.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 15 2010 at 6:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic