Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 75 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 75 project
    Posted: April 13 2010 at 9:29pm
I have started my new 75, and I just want have a place to show what I'm doing. It's not a thread to brag or show off in, but it's more to show my progress, for good or bad. (I still have the Lee-mar for sale as of 4/13/10 but I hope to sell it soon.) The tank is 48x20x20, custom made with a custom stand. I intend to build almost everything myself, including the tank.

Here's the new tank, without silicone:

Can you tell which side isn't starphire?

Flat polished edges:

Stand concept:

fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 9:52pm
Have you thought about putting the overflow on the outside of the tank?  Great start, I love watching builds.
Some day, when I grow up,...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by fishoutawater fishoutawater wrote:

Have you thought about putting the overflow on the outside of the tank?  Great start, I love watching builds.

I have thought about placing the overflow on the outside, but I'm space limited where this tank will go, so I want to place it as close to the wall as possible. Placing the overflows on the outside on a rimless tank is possible, but not something practical for this tank. If you notch the back glass on a tank like this, you have to be very carefull that you don't inadvertently introduce a weak area, and this takes some special precautions (in my opinion).
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 9:57pm
The only problem i would see with the overflow on the outside it the distance away from the wall, IMO i don't think it looks that great with a big gap behind the aquarium
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by FIRE SHRIMP FIRE SHRIMP wrote:

The only problem i would see with the overflow on the outside it the distance away from the wall, IMO i don't think it looks that great with a big gap behind the aquarium

In this case, I totally agree.
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:13pm
Corey, what sillicone are you using? How thick is the glass? Its looking good.

Edited by tcfab - April 13 2010 at 10:14pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:15pm
Stand:

Maple with a black glaze, custom-built. I think the stand will be harder than it looks.

Sump:

To be determined. Possibly this will be the one exception to my DIY madness in that I'll probably just get a standard glass tank that fits the stand. If I get the urge, I'll build one out of acrylic. I want a sump with a nice refugium, a good-sized skimmer, and a good sand bed.

Return Pump:

It adds heat, but is dead silent and I've had it for a while. I seriously can't hear the pump run. If it contributes to the tank heat too much, I'll swap it out.

Overflow:

I'm going with the valved drain with an overflow, secondary drain (the "Herbie" method). Again, dead silent and reduces the need for baffles in the sump, etc. due to the lack of air in the drain.

Water Motion:

Vortech MP40w, probably on the side. I have this already. If it's too ugly, I might even try two Tunze Stream powerheads.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by tcfab tcfab wrote:

Corey, what sillicone are you using? How thick is the glass? Its looking good.

I can't tell you which silicone I'm using, sorry. All I can say is that I've had help in choosing it.

The glass is 1/2" thick. I am not going very tall, and after doing the calcs, 1/2" seems fine. Thicker glass is beneficial for the joints only, given the height I have. I would have loved to do thicker glass (I see your tank has 3/4" thick glass), but costs and availability of the 3/4" starphire glass pushed my decision to 1/2" glass.

I got a deal on the 1/2" starphire glass that I couldn't pass up.
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:28pm
1/2" on a 20" tall tank will be fine. Are you doing a bottom eurobrace?

Edited by tcfab - April 14 2010 at 12:26am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by tcfab tcfab wrote:

1/2" on a 20" tall tank will be fine. Are you doing a bottom eurobrace? I know which sillicone to use, just making sure you talked to some buildersSmile

No, I'm probably not going to do a bottom euro-brace. Seriously, the side joints worry me more than the bottom. I didn't know which silicone to use originally, but I found a couple good ones. It isn't hard to find, really.
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:48pm
Love those pumps, I have to touch it to make sure it is running because you can not hear it. I have two on my 40 with sump and temps still stay under 79 with only 3 computer fans for cooling.
Some day, when I grow up,...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by fishoutawater fishoutawater wrote:

Love those pumps, I have to touch it to make sure it is running because you can not hear it. I have two on my 40 with sump and temps still stay under 79 with only 3 computer fans for cooling.

If only they didn't heat up the water so much, I'd use the Velocity/Blueline/Poseidon titanium T4 pump every time. I will try it this time.
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 10:56pm
poseidon pumps are great for smaller aquariums
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 11:04pm
Lighting:

I'm leaning toward all T5's, but this could change. We'll see.

I gotta build a tank first.
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 9:29pm
I would recommend a eurobrace on the bottom it doubles up your glue joint surface area and the bottom of the tank has the most pressure. If you look at the high end tank manufacturers you'll find the bracing on the bottom, it's cheap insurance! I dont know what silicone your using but I recommend momentive rtv 100 series, it's a addhesive silicone. I have used it several times with zero failures. And if it is good enough for LeeMar it's good enough for me ;). Just my two cents. Looks good!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by laynframe laynframe wrote:

I would recommend a eurobrace on the bottom it doubles up your glue joint surface area and the bottom of the tank has the most pressure. If you look at the high end tank manufacturers you'll find the bracing on the bottom, it's cheap insurance! I dont know what silicone your using but I recommend momentive rtv 100 series, it's a addhesive silicone. I have used it several times with zero failures. And if it is good enough for LeeMar it's good enough for me ;). Just my two cents. Looks good!

The hydrostatic force at the bottom of a 24" tall tank (with top eurobracing) that the silicone has to resist is about 80 pounds per linear foot, or about 13 psi on a 1/2" joint. My Lee-mar tank is like this. The hydrostatic force at the bottom of a 20" tall rimless tank is about 70 lbs per linear foot, or about 12 psi for a 1/2" joint. There are significant flexural forces in a rimless that in which the ratio of the length to height is greater than 2, which includes my tank, and I'm not including this.    I think eurobracing is fine, but probably overkill, though. I look at it as a belt & suspenders approach, which isn't bad. I'll look into it.

I am trying a certain kind of silicone, but here are some examples of the recommended silicones out there for aquariums:

Dow Corning 732
GE (Momentive) RTV 108
Perennator AQ 201 (the packaging, although in german, seems awfully close to the Aqueon stuff)
Aqueon aquarium silicone
GE silicone I

There are UV-set glues out there as well that will bond glass to PVC, etc. but these are expensive and require a UV light to cure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 10:45pm
Here's the stand:

The TANK BUILDING stand, that is. I'm going to put the tank together on this. With a few tricks, I have this 4'x8' table really, really flat. Really flat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 10:50pm
I have the silicone, tape, alcohol, etc. I hope to get going Saturday. I bought extra silicone so that when I screw up and redo the tank, it's no problem. Murphy says that I'll get it right the second or third time around.

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 5:29pm
How about Ottoseal S28? Is that any good for something like this?
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 7:25pm
Lets see some silicone going on alreadyLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic