Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garden Eel Tank - Updated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garden Eel Tank - Updated
    Posted: April 15 2010 at 11:25pm
Our 55 gallon garden eel tank:

Garden eels have been a passion of mine ever since discovering them on a diving trip in the Caymans.  I had thought keeping them in a home aquarium would be impossible but was excited to discover that my assumption was not entirely true.  

We started our saltwater adventure with a 55 gallon reef tank.  We enjoyed the salt water tank and its inhabitants so much that dreams quickly formed regarding more and larger tanks.  A garden eel tank was in the back of my mind but I still thought they would be impossible to keep.  Fortunately, we attended the UT reef fest this past fall and Scott Michael’s talk about unusual salt water animals to keep.  Garden eels were mentioned.  We spoke to him after the show about a garden eel tank and were thrilled to discover they might not be as difficult as expected.  

We bought a used 55 gallon tank and the process started.  We looked up everything we could about keeping garden eels but were disappointed by the small amount of information available.  We discovered that sand depth and size is extremely important.  Gardens eels like sand depths anywhere between 4-8 inches.  Sand too fine will not form a stable burrow but sand too rough will damage their sensitive skins.  We decided to go with a size 1 sand and filled half the tank to a 6 inch depth.  We put some live rock on the shallow sand side of the tank to help with filtration.

A used 55g tank we picked up and did some work to.

115 pounds of sand later

A nearly full tank!

Time to Cycle!!!

Our research indicated that the eels would only eat water borne foods that were about at head height.  The eels would not make any effort to eat foods off the sand or out of their reach.  So we needed a way to keep the food circulating throughout the tank at eel height.  We decided a spray bar would serve the purpose.  We used tubing, pvc pipe, and an old maxi jet for the construction.  We mounted it halfway up the side of the tank at what we thought would be eel head height.  We also decided to run an additional maxi jet pump to increase circulation down the length of the tank.  For filtering we are using a HOB filter with carbon that is changed monthly along with weekly water changes.  We started the tank on a budget and are looking to add a skimmer and possible auto-feeder in the future.  We went cheap with lighting and decided to use regular fresh water lighting T8s.  We came to this decision because garden eels are found around 60ft depths and are not used to bright lighting.  Some of our research indicated that too bright lighting could be distressful to the eels. 

Our loot - 3 Hassi Garden Eels from LiveAquaria!  Like Xmas in Feb.

The waiting is the hardest part.  I hate waiting for acclimation, but it is so important

Edited by jdinchak - June 18 2012 at 8:09pm
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 11:25pm

We decided to order our eels online from Live Aquaria.  The eels frequently go in and out of stock.  Just prior to our tank finally being cycled, the eels went out of stock.  We ended up having to wait several additional weeks before we were able to order our eels.  We decided to start with 3 eels so as not to crowd them too much.  Some information we had gave up to 6 inches between the burrows.  The day they arrived was full of excitement.  This was our first experience with online fish retailers.  We carefully followed the instructions and opened the boxes in a dark room.  When we were finally able to bring them into the light to take a look we were really surprised by how thin they were (the width of pencils).  We were expecting much fatter animals.  They were so small, it was hard to even see them in the bottom of the bags.  They seemed quite healthy and active moving around the bags and attempting to escape.  One of the keys to garden eels is making sure you are starting with a healthy animal since they are rarely found to recover from any illness or injury. 

They were anxious to be anywhere but in the bag. 

Looking back, I am not sure who had the most distressing first days, us or the eels.  We  acclimated the eels (which the eels did not enjoy, they were anxious to be out of the bags.)  Unfortunately, upon introduction to the tank, we found that garden eels are terrible swimmers.  The pumps and filters kept knocking them into the tank walls and rocks.  We were terrified they would get injured.  We read that they typically do not recover well if injured.  We ended up turning off all the pumps for the day and were discouraged when they managed to explore everywhere except the sand.  After leaving them overnight, one finally made a burrow.  The other two were still floating around randomly.  We were forced to turn on one filter to at least get some water circulation, but the remaining eels did not appreciate the increased water movement.  By the end of the 2nd day 2 had created burrows and the third was in the sand by the 3rd day.  Their first burrows were spread far apart in the tank, one even burrowed under the live rocks in the shallow part of the tank.

They weren't very good swimmers, like watching a newborn calf.

Edited by jdinchak - April 15 2010 at 11:37pm
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 11:26pm
We started our feeding attempts with mysis, but it was too large and tended to scare them.  We then switched to frozen brine shrimp which they quickly acclimated to eating.  There was some concern with the location one had picked as to whether the current would bring it enough food.  Within the 1st month it had moved burrows two times to locations with better water movement for food.  They are now eating a diet of arctipods, brine shrimp, and a fish food frozen mix and seem quite healthy.  They are fed once daily with small amounts at a time.  The tank has several hermit crabs to help eat old food.  The spray bar and maxi jets work well to keep the food floating long enough for the eels to eat their fill.  

They are quite active during the day searching the waters for food.  As they have gotten more comfortable they emerge higher from their holes.  Once the lights turn off they quickly retreat into their burrow for the night and will even cover the hole with a bit a sand.  They are a bit skittish when shadows darken the tank as people walk by but they will usually quickly come back out.  Like all fish, they have different personalities and behaviors.  One is very brave and is always the first to come out when there is new stuff going on and one is very skittish and will retreat at any movement.  One is a piggy and will stretch to his maximum to eat any food morsel.  There is one that prefers larger chunks of food and one that prefers extremely tiny foods.

We have really been enjoying our garden eels.  They are fun to watch and can be pretty active during the day.  Their bodies move with the currents like they are dancing.  They also spend time cleaning out their burrows and we will just suddenly see puffs of sand in the water. 

A video of our Eels feeding. 

Edited by jdinchak - April 15 2010 at 11:54pm
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 11:43pm
Come see the Garden Eels for your self at the 2010 WMAS Reef Tour!!!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:25am
Those are awesome! I enjoyed reading of your success and hope it continues.

Mike

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 10:43am
This is probably one of the coolest things I've seen on this board! I will be stopping by your place on the reef tour. I love it!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 11:38am
Clap
Sounds like you may be the hot spot of this years RT.Smile
I'm curious about tank maintenance. You mentioned some Hermit Crabs which roam around finding uneaten food.
You also mention a HOB filter with AC(Activated Carbon). How much and often do you change it?
I'm wondering about water changes. Amount and frequency?
The "size 1" sand you used. Could you please explain or give the brand and name?
You said you let the tank cycle. How long from setup to adding Eels and where did the LR come from? Did you add any LS?
How long have the Eels been in the tank and how did you acclimate them?
Its great that they have accepted frozen foods. Do you add Garlic Oil to the food?
Also, already there is algae growing on the spraybar. What about algae control? Any snails?

Sorry for all the questions. I cannot attend the RT and yet I am just too curious.Embarrassed
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 11:40am
 will be stopping by your place on the reef tour.  Thumbs Up  x2

Edited by Shane H - April 16 2010 at 11:40am
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 11:59am
Dang that is awesome.  I may have to leave my own house to come over.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
dca22anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dca22anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:21pm
That is sweetness! Good job on your build!
Dave Anderson
Saratoga Springs, UT
Merk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:28pm
Okay that is cool.  I might have to copy you.
Downtown Salt Lake City
801-809-2367
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:35pm
I can talk to my wife and see about extending our hours if RT hosts wanted to make a trip over.  We have seen some amazing tanks on display and are hoping to check some out as well (our dream would be to have a 180 and I have seen some fantastic ones out there). 

As far as your questions

You also mention a HOB filter with AC(Activated Carbon). How much and often do you change it?
When we bought our 55g reef tank it came with a HOB filter that we never used, we kept it just in case we ever wanted to use it and it worked out well.  We change the AC about every 3-4 weeks.  We wanted to go budget on this initially and I am sure we will add a protein skimmer when $$$ allows.

I'm wondering about water changes. Amount and frequency?
We change the water about every 2-3 weeks, typically about 10%

The "size 1" sand you used. Could you please explain or give the brand and name?
You said you let the tank cycle. How long from setup to adding Eels and where did the LR come from? Did you add any LS?

Honestly the sand was one of our biggest debates.  My wife had done almost all of the research on the Garden Eels (they are her passion) and worried that if it was too fine they wouldn't like it and same with too course.  We watched a lot of youtube garden eel videos to get the best idea of sand and the guys at the Aquarium (SLC LFS) were helpful in showing us the different types and sizes.  Size 1 is what they had it labeled as (the one we went with).  The tank cycled about 2 months (we were out of town at one point and then later the availability of the Eels was tough to find).  We did use water from our reef tank to jump start the cycle.  The LR came from the Aquarium store as well.  No LS

How long have the Eels been in the tank and how did you acclimate them?

Eels have been in the tank now 2 months, my wife acclimated them with a slow drip-line. 

Its great that they have accepted frozen foods. Do you add Garlic Oil to the food?
No garlic, we were lucky they were such good eaters.  The challenge with feeding is that when you approach the tank they hide, so you have to wait for them to resurface (I did this by sitting in a chair next to the tank) and then slowly add food.  Once the food is in the tank they lose their shyness. 

Also, already there is algae growing on the spraybar. What about algae control? Any snails?
I do need to clean the spray bar, we could add more snails and hermits too.  At first we didn't want to starve any of them if we added too many. 

Would also like to note that this entire project started because of the Reef-Fest in November.  Scott Micheal (great speaker) was very gracious to talk to us after wards and gave us a lot of good advice (as well as the confidence needed) to get started.  Thanks WMAS for making that happen!!!

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

Would also like to note that this entire project started because of the Reef-Fest in November.  Scott Micheal (great speaker) was very gracious to talk to us after wards and gave us a lot of good advice (as well as the confidence needed) to get started.  Thanks WMAS for making that happen!!!

That's great to hear.  Dang, if only Scott Michael would come back to the club.... say later this summer Wink

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 1:15pm
I love the idea! I'll have to see this one.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 9:13pm
That is sooo cool. Thanks for answering my questions in such detail. It's funny how small those Eels are. All the pics I've seen make them look much larger. The sand looks pretty small. I wonder if Oolitic sand is similar. It's round and soft. That deep sand is excellent fitration.Thumbs Up
If I were still in the valley, I'd definitely come by.
scubaparrot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubaparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 9:27pm
Yes, we were quite surprised too by how small they actually are. We probably could have added a couple of more eels if we had realized but better safe than sorry in the end. Eel battles to the death for space would not have been pretty. I am not familiar with Oolitic sand to know if it is similar or not. It is a pretty small grain but is bigger than what I know of as "sugar" sand, the super fine stuff. I am glad that others have found our experience interesting, we have really enjoyed them so far.
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 9:30pm
I love this thread.  That is so cool to see how successful you have been so far.  Do you think you may add more eels later?
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2010 at 2:33am
CaribSea "Sugarfine" is Oolitic sand. Utah Oolitic sand was perfect for my Blue Spot Ribbontail Ray. That tank with Ray, Batfish and suspended reef was the hit of the 2006 RT.
The sand you used reminds me of the type CaribSea sells called "Carribean Pink"
Below is a pic of Oolitic sand. You may find it interesting to read more about this sand and Utah Rock here:http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2010 at 8:43am
Pretty amazing creatures.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2010 at 9:26pm
Awesome.  I used to have a garden eel tank (but it was only a ten gallon).  I have 8 eels in it, so I am sure you can get a much bigger population if you want to.

I'll be sure to stop by on the reef tour.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic