Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I want to build a durso stand pipe.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want to build a durso stand pipe.
    Posted: October 21 2004 at 9:51am

What do I need to do it?

Right now I have a standpipe that is 1 1/4".  I saw the one that mark has on his that is just a cap with a hole drilled into it.

Any suggestions??

Edited by acerob
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 10:10am
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 10:29am
thanks Corey
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 12:08pm
sure thing .. they are really pretty easy and help a ton!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by acerob acerob wrote:

I saw the one that Mark has on his that is just a cap with a hole drilled into it.
The cap is only half of it. I saved space by not using the "elbow" of the original Durso design. Water drops down four wide verticle slots cut in the standpipe leaving four thin sticks to hold the cap in place.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 10:53am
I did the same thing as mark.  very quiet and takes up less space in my overflow.
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2005 at 11:26pm
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I have a question for you Mark or anybody who knows how his modified durso works.

I am plumbing my sump right now and I have drilled the rest of the holes in my tank and everything is ready, but because I already had the parts for a 1 1/4" standpipe thats what I used... the problem is I can't fit the tee with the 90 degree fitting using a large 1 1/4" pipe.

My overflow box is 2.5" X 4"

I have purchased an end cap already. 

When you build this are you just cutting slits down the standipe and then capping the top?

Is it similar to a stockman standpipe? 

Thanks for your help.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 2:54am

I don't know a stockman standpipe, but the way I did it is so extremely simple.

Take the standpipe and cut out four 1/2 - 1" chunks from the top so that you have four thin pieces of pipe sticking up. They might be called crown posts and look kind of like the posts that hold a diamond on a ring. These posts hold the cap up so that water can drop down the pipe where the chunks were removed. The cap will sit over the four posts. A thin ring of the same pipe, inserted in the cap, allows cap height to be adjusted to the spot where the water flows between the crown posts but keeps the water surface touching the bottom edge of the cap. The hole in the top center of the cap should be drilled small at first and enlarged as needed to totally silence the gurgle. Hope this makes sense. Sorry, my digital camera is broken.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 4:14pm
I tried that and it worked perfectly,  thanks mark!

Now how do I quiet down the sump side of things?  My standpipe is silent, but there are alot of bubbles that make their way down and when they come out of the sump side it's pretty noisy.  anyway to reduce those bubbles?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic