Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anemone help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anemone help
    Posted: May 14 2010 at 2:07am
So while I was on my vacation my lights short circuited on my 29g biocube. I have 2 anemones that came with the tank when I bought it established. They were already in poor shape but looking better until they had no light for 8 days and the temp dropped to 71 degrees. They have been in the top corner of the tank now since I got back on Sunday, once I got the light bulbs replaced the one started to fill out a little bit but the other one looks all shriveled and is holding onto the outflow tube.
Do I need to try and remove them are they dying?
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 10:28am
I would watch it very carefully and see how it does the next couple of days.  I had one in my tank that melted when it died.

Be careful and make sure you pull it out when it is dead though, or you could crash your whole tank.  If you have any pictures, i'm sure someone could tell you if it is dying or not.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 11:13am
Yes when you try to remove a dying anemone probably have some carbon to remove any toxins and using a syphon to suck the anemone without spreading it around. Hopefully this wont be the case.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 12:34pm
Just watch it and make sure your water parameters are within the acceptable ranges. It is time to remove an anemone ONLY when it has a lot of slimey stuff around it or flowing off of it. Otherwise leave it alone don't try to move it and just be patient. A pic would really help us help you.

FWIW, When I go on vacation, I am blessed to be able to ask any number of friends (experienced hobbyists) from this club to come check on my tank every three days. That is what I have always done and it has saved me from coming home to problems.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 12:46pm
Thanks guys.

Mark I guess the good thing is that was the only vacation I will be taking in a very long time:)

I will keep an eye on them, I haven't tried moving them I knew you weren't supposed to, the one looks better than the other it just sucks because they already looked like hud before I left as that's how they were when I bought the tank and didn't know any better.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 12:56pm
If the anenome is still holding fast onto the tube or glass then it is still alive.

Unless it literally starts to "melt" I wouldn't touch it.

An anenone is basically a big bag of (salt) water; they can shrivel down to almost nothing andstill be fine
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 10:16pm
Ok here are some pics, they I think they are also a bit stressed because I sold the two maroon clowns that were hosting in them and ended up with two tank bred clowns that haven't really bothered with them:(

The one looked like this a couple days before I left:

Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 10:32pm
I would leave it.  It looks fine to me.  When they are dying they look like they are melting and start spewing guts out of their mouths.  It was probably just stressed and needs a little time to recover and find a new place in your tank.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 11:48pm
Thanks that's what I was thinking.
tycallsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tycallsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 8:33pm
leave it. your good
-Tyler C.
[email protected]
undersea-lab.blogspot.com
tycallsky.deviantart.com
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2010 at 11:07pm
Yea they are looking a lot better, hopefully they will move back down to the rock. The one is on the out flow tube and the other is in the corner hooked on the UV unit:)
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 12:56am
So these guys are looking much better.
I came home tonight however and the one had split into 3Shocked

This little piece is riding on a snail:

Then the other two pieces are the one on top of the UV and the one at the top of the glass:

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 9:47am
AwesomeClap
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic