Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much sand?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mr.magoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.magoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much sand?
    Posted: May 20 2010 at 11:42am
How many lb. Of live sand should I have for a 55gal ? I would like to do a mix of live sand @ 3/4 and churshed coral @ 1/4 I am looking to you guys to help me out howany lbs shoul I have?
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 12:30pm
One pound. Use dead sand and seed with a cup full of live sand :P

Why the crushed coral? I'd just use the sand - otherwise you're going to have crushed coral all over the top of your sand and it'll look bad IMO.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 12:35pm
Plus crushed coral will make for a bad detritus trap, or so I was told

Edited by Ahanix - May 20 2010 at 12:35pm
mr.magoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.magoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 12:47pm
I was thinkig of mixing it together not layering and it was just more for looks. So how many lbs total for the hole tank?
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 12:56pm
Even if you layer it the crushed coral will go to the top FYI. I'd only used the sand and no crushed coral. You can use a thicker grained sand though if you like the crushed coral look with out sacrificing the benefits of the sand.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 2:16pm
I did sand and gravel 5 yrs ago and have regretted it ever since!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 8:27pm
You have asked a very good question.
I agree with what everyone has said. The larger particles eventually float to the top leaving the top of the sand covered with whatever the larger particles are. Wink Some larger stuff in one area of the sand looks nice. I think it's more natural looking.

The Sand Bed is one of the major sources of filtration in a reef aquarium. The amount of sand needed to do the job depends on the grain size. Here is a general rule of thumb:

1-2" Oolitic Sand
or
2-3" CaribSea Special Reef Grade
or
3-4" Crushed Coral

Sand weighs about 10 lbs/gal. To figure this out look at the calculation of aquarium volume:
Length x Depth x Height / 230 = tank capacity in gallons.
A 55 is 48"x12" For just one inch of sand 48x12x1 /230 = 2.5 gallons
2.5 gallons x 10 = 25 lbs.
That's for 1" of sand.
Since I like the look of Oolitic sand and the need for a shallower sand bed I would use a 5 gallon bucket(50lbs.) of Utah Oolitic Sand in a 55 gal aquarium. (I have plenty, come and get itSmile)

Also, if you read this thread, you will see that the more live stuff you use, that has been transported properly in water, the better the reef aquarium will do, and sooner too.Smile
 http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

Here is an example of what I like. It also shows how I keep the sand bed open to allow for maximum filtration effectiveness.

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 20 2010 at 8:32pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic