Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shayne's 90 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shayne's 90 Build
    Posted: May 22 2010 at 1:48pm
Well, I guess this will end up being my build thread. Clap

I just picked up my new 90 G glass tank today. I know I said I was going to go with used equipment but I'm really picky about some stuff. I decided to go with a new tank because it's the main focus of everyone who's going to see it, and I wanted it to be clean and flawless. I've got a few routs I can take with my stand and they all fall well within my planned budget. Now I just need to start piecing together all of my other equipment. I plan to buy used as much as possible. Here is a list of things I'm going to start looking for:

RO/DI unit, Utah Oolitic sand, rock, lights (preferably 48" T-5 4 or 6 bulb), skimmer (eventually), pump, heater, power-heads, and test equipment. Feel free to PM me if you have any of these items for sale.

I plan to build my own sump.

Ok, back to the show. Here's the tank. (Pardon the crappy cellphone pic.)

Edited by Shayne - May 22 2010 at 3:37pm
21G Reefer Nano
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 1:59pm
Shayne,

Awesome choice on the tank! What brand is it?

If you want to save money to put towards lighting, you can probably skip out on the RO/DI unit for now.  Aquatica has free RO water, which should be pretty close to your place.  that way whenever you do a water change, you could take 3 5 gallon containers with you and just fill up.

Just my two cents anyways, if you make your way out to Orem once a week.

Edited by Ahanix - May 22 2010 at 2:03pm
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 2:03pm
Thanks! It's an Aqueon.

Dang, that would have been a great way to go but I almost never go to Orem (25-30 min away). I'm actually closer to Salt Lake which is where I work.

Edited by Shayne - May 22 2010 at 2:04pm
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 3:15pm
Ok, here come the questions. LOL

I need 2 bulkheads. One hole is 1 1/2" and the other is 1 3/4". Where is the best place to pick them up (Home Depot, LFS, Sprinkler World)? Should I go with threaded or slip?

Does anyone have a link to some good plumbing instructions? I have the general idea but diagrams and pictures really help me.

Also, I'm assuming that my 2 bulkheads in my overflow should be used for my primary drain and emergency (overflow protection) drain. Do most people plumb the return to come up the outside (back) of the tank? Also, should I use the larger hole (bulkhead) as the primary drain?

Thanks in advance! Smile

Edited by Shayne - May 22 2010 at 3:19pm
21G Reefer Nano
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 3:32pm

Grats on the tank! My returns come up in the overflow and t off for 2 outlets. Are you going to do a durso stand pipe? Most lfs carry bulkheads, Have never seen them at hd.

Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 3:36pm
You don't have an emergency drain?

I was thinking about going with the Hofer method stand. Having my system be quiet is a big priority.

Edited by Shayne - May 22 2010 at 3:39pm
21G Reefer Nano
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 3:39pm
I had this crazy idea of running the return pipe inside the emergency overflow pipe. I'm not sure it would work though. Probably too little space.
21G Reefer Nano
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 3:39pm
No I don't have one. I don't even know why you would need 1. Duroso is quiet IMO
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by bugzme bugzme wrote:

I don't even know why you would need 1.

In case your primary drain gets clogged but your pump keeps running. Doesn't that ever happen?
21G Reefer Nano
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 3:44pm
Hasn't happened to me in 6 yrs. So I would say no.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 3:56pm
Are Durso's self-priming? IE: Something interrupts the water-flow so it no longer pulls water but then the interruption is removed (water level rises) and it starts flowing again on its own.
21G Reefer Nano
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 4:29pm
Exactly
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 4:34pm
Any reason you prefer Durso over Hofer? I notice most people use Durso but the Hofer sounded interesting. The Durso seems easier to build though (and possibly less likely to clog up).

Edited by Shayne - May 22 2010 at 4:39pm
21G Reefer Nano
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 4:41pm
I don't know what hofer is. I would make the larger hole to feed the sump with a valve underneath and the smaller my return. My tank has 2 durso's and it it very quiet. burps sometimes!!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 4:53pm
Ah! So you are running 2 drain pipes. Obviously yours are both being used as primaries but if one clogs up the other can keep the tank from overflowing (or at least slow it down).

Here is a link to the Hofer design: http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

21G Reefer Nano
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 6:00pm
I have never had either clog up
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 12:21pm
Does anyone else have any opinion on how I should use my bulkheads? I've seen a lot of builds that incorporate an emergency or secondary drain. I think I could even drill out a 3rd hole in my overflow (never drilled glass before) but I don't know if that's a good idea.

(Jeff, I really appreciate your advice. I just want to see if there is anyone else out there with an opinion before I go with what you've told me. Thanks!) Thumbs Up
21G Reefer Nano
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 12:38pm
NP  I surely don't know everything!  Wink
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 12:52pm
Using a Herbie style with a primary drain allows your overflow to run silently, not quietly, and no burps. It has to have a secondary drain just in case something slows the flow in the primary. It also eliminates bubbles in the sump because it doesn't suck any air with it. It's easy to drill a couple holes in the back of the tank and put some loc-line in for your returns and keep both primary and secondary drains in the overflow.
Some day, when I grow up,...

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 1:13pm
If I drilled the tank I would do it for a closed loop! I haven't done any research on the subject though. seems to me if you already have a supply and return why use them both for drains. Why spend money when you don't have to? Sorry but it doesn't make sense to me
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic