Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shayne's 90 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 1:26pm
Are you talking about the method where you create a siphon but have the second drain as a backup? 
21G Reefer Nano
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 6:26pm
Durso's are a great drain and will run pretty much silently if done right and you can cram a ton of flow throw them. Another option is the HGB or Hofer Gurgle Buster, I run this on my frag tank and my 180. They are quiet but can be a bit finicky of you adjust flow after you have set them. Other than that they are fairly quiet. Either way they both work. Let me know if you need help with either and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have on building them.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 7:10pm
I like the idea of the Hofer but it seems like it would be a good candidate for clogging up. I'm assuming the Durso's are a lot more reliable since they don't have any tight areas and anything that got into them should be able to make it to the other end. Either way I'm kind of stuck in a dilemma.

I can't decide whether to have an emergency overflow or not. I'm kind of (ok, really) nervous about large spills but I guess not many people have had a problem with drains plugging up (IE: Bugzme). Maybe I'm worrying about nothing?

So here's where I'm at. My first option is to go with the Durso, since it is less likely to clog, and I could use the second bulkhead for the return with no emergency drain. My second option is to have the primary and emergency in the overflow and run the return on the outside of the tank and over the back. (I guess that kind of offsets the point of having an overflow though.) My third option would be to drill a third hole/bulkhead and then I could have a primary, and emergency drain, plus the return all running through my overflow. I've never drilled glass before though. Confused
21G Reefer Nano
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 7:24pm
Durso will likely never clog. I have never ran an emergency drain and have never seen a real reason to unless you are running the herbie method which in itself is a huge flood risk.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 7:28pm
How is running a Herbie a flood risk? I will agree that 99% of our tanks will never have an issue with clogging with a durso, but quiet is not silent, and having a backup stand pipe gives peace of mind. How could it not be safer than a durso? Also, a 1" durso will not run close to what a 1" Herbie will do.

Edited by fishoutawater - May 23 2010 at 7:29pm
Some day, when I grow up,...

Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 7:51pm
I guess I could just start with a Durso and run the return through the overflow. If I don't like it I can think about changing it to a Hofer (not to be mistaken for Herbie, iirc).
21G Reefer Nano
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 8:05pm
You should do a poll and see how many people use each drain.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 10:29pm
A poll for people who have used both would be more helpful. Everyone I know of who has used one likes it better than a durso.
Some day, when I grow up,...

Ricordia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricordia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 11:04pm
I still haven't seen a good explanation of what a Herbie overflow does and how to set one up.  Anyone have a good link?

Rich Allen
Murray, UT
150g Leemar Starfire reef tank with a 40g sump
75g planted freshwater with tetras
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 12:36am
Hofer Gurgle Buster: http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

Herbie: The Herbie design is actually a combination of designs. Two standpipes are required. One of them is typically a Durso or Stockman; this is the pipe that dictates the water level in the overflow chamber just as it would in a single stand pipe situation. The second standpipe (referred to as siphon pipe from here forward) is generally an open pipe that is lower than the inlet of the Durso pipe. Both standpipes return to the sump via separate piping, tying them together defeats the purpose. The siphon pipe must have a valve between it and the sump at some point, this is optional for the Durso pipe. The siphon pipe should be sized to handle all of the pump flow with the valve wide open, but you will run it with the valve partially closed to only allow about 95% of the pump flow. With the siphon pipe restricted to about 95% of the pump flow the water level in the overflow box rises to the Durso pipe at which point it begins to flow down both pipes. The siphon pipe is now under full siphon because it is completely submerged. A pipe under full siphon is dramatically more quiet than a pipe with air entrained in it - and the sump is very quiet as well since there is no bubbling effect. The result is a very quiet system, and an added level of protection against flooding. Ideally both standpipes should be capable of taking the full pump flow of the other. Unless the Durso/Stockman pipe becomes completely blocked it is virtually impossible to flood.
Link:
http://dinardiengineering.com/blog/?p=34

Edited by Shayne - May 24 2010 at 12:38am
21G Reefer Nano
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 12:40am
I'd do a poll but the forum doesn't give me the option. 
21G Reefer Nano
Ricordia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricordia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 9:31am
Ah, cool.  Thanks for the link.  I think I'll give this a try, since my setup is almost there anyway.  I have three bulkheads in my overflow, the middle one is the return, the left goes to my refugium, the right to my sump.  The left and right currently both have stockman stand pipes, so I should be able to just replace the right side with a shorter open pipe and adjust the valve to the sump until it's all silent.  Can't wait to try it out now!  Thumbs Up
Rich Allen
Murray, UT
150g Leemar Starfire reef tank with a 40g sump
75g planted freshwater with tetras
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 7:04pm
Would a 20 G tank be big enough for the sump/fuge in my 90?
21G Reefer Nano
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 7:19pm
If you can go a little bit larger you will be happier.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 7:31pm
The available space in my stand will be 45"x21"x21" (I'm estimating on the low side. Might be a couple inches higher and deeper). I know a 20 G tank will fit in there but I might be able to fit a bit more.
21G Reefer Nano
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 7:42pm
Just put the biggest 1 you can in. Make sure you have enough room for the footprint on 1 end for your skimmer
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 8:15pm
Go with a Herbie style overflow. I have mine and LOVE it!

People think Dursos are quiet until they see and hear a Herbie in action. Complete silence all the way around.

I also don't see how a Herbie could EVER flood. First off, I have a strainer on my drain that keeps snails and anything else large enough to clog it, out. I clean it off weekly. Second, my emergency drain is 1 inch and can handle anything my tank will throw at it. If both clog, welcome to the hobby!

My 1 inch drain can easily handle 1500gph or more. My return pump is moving about 250gph. I can have some serious things happen and never worry about a flood because of the drain system.

My advice is to for sure get a GOOD 6 bulb T5 unit. You don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars now and then realize you made a mistake and have to spend even more later.

Here are some links to read about lighting and Herbie methods and also my build thread.

Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 8:26pm
If I went with the Herbie style I'd have to drill a hole for a return. I'm sure I can find some instructions for how to do it, but am I pretty safe drilling my tank myself?
21G Reefer Nano
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Shayne Shayne wrote:

If I went with the Herbie style I'd have to drill a hole for a return. I'm sure I can find some instructions for how to do it, but am I pretty safe drilling my tank myself?

I would drill the back glass myself and put the return through that. You won't be able to drill the bottom more than likely. It should be tempered glass.

I like to keep my tanks a couple inches from the wall. That way I can look back there and check things out. I can also get the vaccuum back there every once in a while to keep dust in check.
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 12:17am
I've been reading through BobC63's old 225 G build thread. I noticed he used a plenum. I was reading on RC forums that plenums used to be popular but now they're not. How do you guys feel about them?
21G Reefer Nano
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic