Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

next step?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mr.magoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.magoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: next step?
    Posted: May 23 2010 at 11:29pm

Ok i well i am putting together a:

55gal show tank                                     40.00
20L sump/refuge (DIY)                            34.00
350gph return pump                               trade
265gph skimmer                                      trade
4x54 T5 w/4 led moon lights                   100.00
2 aqueon 700gph powerheads               86.00
2X19 CFL [sump/refuge] (DIY)                 17.00
25gpd ro unit                                           50.00
custom built stand & canopy (DIY)           80.00
hob overflow                                            trade

I think i got some realy good deals on most of my stuff it has taken me about 3 months to put it all together and to work on the DIY projects. The stand & canopyare painted black along with the back glass on the tank with a black feame tank and sump/refuge i love it it looks great. But now i am at a point i am not sure where to go next on what to do? I think the next thing i need to is get my rock and sand I belive? not sure I am going to use utah sand and rock. How do i go about seeding the sand and rock? Do I mix my water in my tank? And i am not sure on how to place my 2 power heads inside the tank? I know it is alot of things I dont know but I am new to salt keeping and man there is alot to learn and but! lol It is alot but i think I am doing ok to start out in the hobby so if any of you could help me out with info that would be greatTongue . And if you can think of some thing i dont have yet that i need let me know thanks!!!!!!   

xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 11:58pm
I would first put your water in first. you can mix in tank the first time, but never after livestock is put in. Mix it in separate bucket( for water changes top-off should be fresh water).  Ensure proper specific gravity. Sand and rock second. I went about 30% LR and the rest LBTR, and "dead" sand, with a cup full of donated LS. After a few weeks it will all seed. Just watch your parameters. Power head position is experimental in my opinion. Lower position with them pointing up to the surface. Be sure to agitate the surface, and get good water turbulance.

MOST important: PATIENCE!!! Good Luck!
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 8:57am
Looking good.
The only thing I can see is that you may need a heater if the tank is not in a warm area(+70 degrees)

seeding the sand and rock? The more the better, just like I explained here; LS, LR, LW, and Macroalgae: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

mix the water in my tank? It can be done but is easier in a tub or large container that you dip or pump out of. I say this because if mixed in the tank, there is blowing sand to contend with. It's better to place the sand in first to avoid a huge dust cloud that can take days to settle.

place 2 power heads inside the tank?
I agree with XLR8. Place them in back bottom corners shooting up to the water surface front center. I've done a lot of experimenting at getting the best flow for the least amount of powerheads and this works the best.

When you come over to get the sand and rock, I'll be happy to show a lot more tips on how to set it up.Smile Ask me how to keep rock off the sand for maximum biofiltration. I'm setting up a system right now that will make it easier to see and understand.

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 24 2010 at 9:03am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic