Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James' 55g build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 9:26am
Stand should be ready today or tomorrow, have the baffle siliconed in (that was some pleasant smelling work), should be getting an RO system shortly, only problem is I have the July 4th holiday weekend (mandatory family time) and 3 camping trips set up this month taking me away from the project.  Patience is the key...don't rush it...patience is the key...take your time...
55g display with 55g sump/refug
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 1:01pm
So my tank has a 1" bulkhead for the drain (I am putting a 1 1/4" Durso drain above it) but there is a reducer bushing down to 3/4" glued to the underside of the bulkhead.  Is this going to cause a problem with noise/bubbles if I then attach to a 1" pipe into the sump?

My return has a similar situation.  It is a 3/4" bulkhead with a reducer bushing down to 1/2" glued to the underside of the bulkhead.
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 11:40am
I did a freshwater run and everything seems to be looking good, however, now I have hard water spots on my tank.  What is the best way to clean them off on the inside of the tank without causing problems or do I even need to worry about it?
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 5:24pm
You can remove the old coraline/hard water with a sharp straight razor and vinegar. And as for your plumbing, it should work fine that way, I ran it like that for over a year. With my 32HF return pump there was TONS of flow.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 9:56am
Hard water spots from freshwater will go away when the tank is filled with saltwater and you start cleaning algae off the glass. Or you can wipe them off now with vinegar on a rag.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 10:43am
Thanks Mark and Steve.  I still need to sift and clean my oolitic sand but other than that, I am finally at the point to get this thing up and running (I tried loading some pics from my freshwater run but they wouldn't upload...first time I have had a problem with this).  It sounds like I need to get some LR, LS, LW and macroalgea to get my tank seeded and going.  I think I can find the LR easy enough on the WMS site.
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 4:18pm
I have tons of LS, and macro algae that you're welcome to. Just let me know when you're ready.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 4:41pm
Thanks Steve, I appreciate it and will take you up on your offer.  I think I will be ready for it once I filter enough RO water for my tank.  Do I need to worry about about seeding the tank with live water?  If so, what would be the best way to get 10-20 gallons (tank is 55g with a 55g sump).
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 4:55pm
I'm at about the same point as James and I was wondering similar things. When is the best time to add live sand and rock? (Is it best to let the tank cycle for a couple of days first?)

Also, at what point do you add your plant life to the sump?

Thanks!
21G Reefer Nano
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 5:49pm
I would do them all at once. you will need the LR on the lbtr to make it live, Ls to help your sand become live, etc. You want to start building bacteria in the whole tank
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2010 at 9:54am
Put some live rock in the sump yesterday.  Finally...some pics. 

The set-up...

With open cabinet doors...

The sump and refugium (with my new live rock)...

Close up of sump with live rock and ?things? on live rock...

my son and I fishing (across the street from our house)...

Taking the girls out on the lake...

...and, some ducks.
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2010 at 9:58am
Nice tank and cute family!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 10:33am
It's been fun looking at the live rock and seeing all the life on it.  I believe I have 2 bristleworms (fireworm) and 3-5 little brittle starfish plus other bugs wandering around.  I think there are also some SPS on my rocks but I have no idea what kind.  Hoping to get the DT filled tonight and the whole setup circulating/cycling by the end of the day.
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 10:21pm
What should I have on hand to "dose" to my new system as I get it fully cycled and up and running?
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 11:37pm
Those thing on the live rock look like button polyps and lots. What i did to kick start my cycle is to add bunch flakes in a filter bag and let it rot. What can speed up the cycle if you can find someone with a HOB and let borrow like a sponge full of bacteria to speed up your own bio bacteria
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 9:16am
Things are progressing.  I need to put more rock in the system but everything is up and running.  I see a film of what I am assuming is green algea starting to grow on the dry rock in the system.  I assume that is a good thing.  I definately need a cooling fan.  Any suggestions on where to pick one up real quick.  I would like one that I can plug into the power strip rather than having to splice wires into my light fixture.
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 10:26am
I always get my fans at walmart
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
James View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 9:54am
So I have only had the system up and running for 1-2 weeks and already I believe I have Majano Anemones (I have removed or attempted to remove approx. 8 already) and Asterina Starfish (I have removed 5 so far).  Does this mean I am going to battle these "pests" ongoing?  Would it be worth just replacing all my live rock?

I have noticed on one rock at night I see what I believe are tentacles coming out in 2-3 places but I can't really see what they are coming from.  I can only see the very thin translucent stems and a little bubble on the end.  Do you think these are more Majano's just hidden deeper in the rock?

On the plus side, my LR came with what I believe is some frogspawn, a little mushroom, a number of tiny feather dusters, some very small colorful polyps and another rock covered in all-orange polyps which all appear to be thriving...although I am hoping the all-orange polyps don't continue to spread onto other rocks since the colony I have is not very colorful and probably as large as I want with that one right now.  Can you manually thin these out off of the rocks?

Edited by James - August 18 2010 at 10:14am
4 bulb T5HO light
tank established 8/6/10
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 2:21pm
With Majano's I wouldn't take the chance. Asterinas aren't really a pest, they are part of the CUC IMO. As long as their numbers don't get out of control just let them eat up the detritus for you. You can thin out Zoas with a razor blade or xacto knife by cutting the polyps off the rocks.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 5:46pm
Where is the Macroalgae?
When I start new tanks or move tanks, one of the first things I add is a big clump of Macroalgae. With algae illuminated there is no worry about having a pollution problem that kills things. Did you see what happened to jstuver? With just a little forethought all that death is totally avoidable.

BTW, I just got a new load of good LBTR. If you can't reach me (because I'm at a family reunion in the mountains Fri. and Sat.), just go by and get what you need.

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 19 2010 at 5:49pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic