Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Appropriate nitrate levels for different corals.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Appropriate nitrate levels for different corals.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 8:14pm
could it be possibe that blowing the perimeter of the sand bed is stiring the nitrates in the sand bed?  
Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 10:40pm
Which part didn't people understand? :/

I guess no one has read all the posts???

He mentioned Hydno as SPS and was wondering how their parameters were different. In the very first post, they are not a typical SPS.

The article linked about halfway down page one contains some very erroneous information. I then relinked it and attempted to correct the info. The idea that fish DON'T excrete ammonia??????????? NOT TRUE

Or nevermind... Smile
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Matthew Matthew wrote:

Which part didn't people understand? :/

I guess no one has read all the posts???

He mentioned Hydno as SPS and was wondering how their parameters were different. In the very first post, they are not a typical SPS.

The article linked about halfway down page one contains some very erroneous information. I then relinked it and attempted to correct the info. The idea that fish DON'T excrete ammonia??????????? NOT TRUE

Or nevermind... Smile

Oh i see when you just quoted a sentence of the paragraph it also caught me off guard and confused me

Here's the full paragraph
"The number one source of nitrates is feeding. Most nitrates come from the proteins in uneaten fish food that metabolizes into ammonia. Fish that consume the food stop the decomposition to ammonia and break the cycle. In other words, fish excrement does not contain any nitrates. Fish will eliminate the nitrates for you, as long as everything you put in the tank gets eaten. Fish feces will decompose to ammonia, but the levels are far less intense than an equivalent weight of uneaten frozen fish food breaking down in the water."

What the paragraph is saying that food itself is not comes with nitrate but if you let it decompose it will turn into ammonia then to nitrite and finally to complete the cycle nitrate. When fish eat the the food will not decompose and turn into ammonia, nitrite then to nitrate. Fish excrement are not nitrates but just as it decomposes it turn into ammonia then to nitrate. What hes saying if all of the thing that decompose gets eating you'll not have high nitrates. Thats why protein skimmers come into play to stop anythign that will decompose including fish excrement
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 8:49am
I say it like this, Fish pollute the water while Coral filter the water.

Anything that removes the uneaten food or the resulting poop, like a floss bag or a skimmer will reduce the load on the biological filtration. But it is also ttrue that the greater the Biofiltration, the greater the capacity for handling extra waste.

If set up adequately, Biofiltration can grow fairly quickly to handle an increase in waste. As Adam pointed out in a recent post, one of the major causes for high N compounds is inadequate Biofiltration.

Does this make sense?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Jake Pehrson Jake Pehrson wrote:

I think the above recommendation are pretty good.

-I am not sure if you mentioned the sand depth in you refugium.  I would just add more sand.  The smaller the grain size the less you will need.
-Do large water changes until your nitrates are below 20
-DIY foods like "Curtis' frozen concoction" are great, but the problem is that it will add a lot of nutrients to the water that will not be consumed easily.  Get a strainer or some cheese cloth and rinse the food before adding it to your aquarium.
-up your skimming if possible
-run carbon

As far as the food goes...If you are battling nitrates or ammonia issues I would stop feeding my food all together until it is under control. I dont think that straining it is going to help that much and whatever it does remove will likely be what the corals eat. I would just feed something like frozen mysis or something for a while. No flake or pellet foods either, they wont help anything when it comes to nitrates. I agree with what has been said above, run carbon. If you can hook up a RDSB that would add a TON of biological filtration. You could also potentially look into a sulfer dinitrifier. I would call Eric at Marine Aquatics if you want to find out more about one of those or get one made.

Edited by downhill_biker - June 26 2010 at 9:06am
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 6:38pm
This is probably worth knowing.

Protein = amino acids

The amine in amino acids = nitrogen, as amino acids are utilized this becomes = ammonia

So protein utilization = ammonia

In humans this ammonia is converted into urea, then urinated out (we lose a little to sweat) this is called the Urea cyle (or ornithine cycle).

In fish this ammonia is not converted much, but instead excreted mainly by the gills, and also in urine. (couldn't really call it the Urea cycle so the ornithine cycle)

So the fish food eaten by fish and all the rest of your invertebrates becomes ammonia, so more fish = more ammonia (even if you protein skim their poop out)

Anything that is photosynthetic ties up nitrogen, so macro and micro algae, sea grass, mangroves, zooxanthellae in corals.  In photosynthetic corals the zooxanthellae take up all the ammonia that coral produce and then more.

The amino acids in decaying fish food don't become ammonia until detrivores, bacteria ect converts it into ammonia.

This is where a protein skimmer to remove excess food, decaying algae, ect is effective, but this is also why you need some other method of nitrate removal.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 9:03am
Well said, Matthew.Thumbs Up

This thread has advanced to more than what fishoutawater was originally asking. I wonder if this was a question posed not so much for his enlightenment but more for general discussion?
Originally posted by fishoutawater fishoutawater wrote:

I know some are not bothered by them as much as others, softies, most of the lps. But what is the highest level tolerated by sps like montis, acros, birdnests, millie's. And do hydnophora do better with very low nitrates? My tank has never tested below 20, and sometimes as high as 50, I am guessing this is the reason why not all of my pieces are thriving.

I've found that even tanks with near zero Nitrates cannot grow some things that other tanks can. The reason why seems to simply be the differences in the way the tanks are set up filtration-wise and the tankmates. Some coral get along with their neighbors and others don't.
Since GSP don't do well, have you tried green Briarium? It has a similar look with green polyps covering surfaces.
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 3:59pm
Fwiw, I am aware that hydnophora are not sps, I reread it and don't see anywhere that I said they were. I listed it specifically because it is one of the few lps that has not done well in my tank, as of yet.
The gsp came with the setup when I bought it 2+ years ago, in that time it has never spread. In fact it had lost almost all of its color and is just now greening up again.
Thanks for all the helpful posts, I started this thread because I was trying to figure out if the next step in improving my tank was the reduction of nitrates, or if there was another likely culprit of uninspiring coral growth, especially in the few sps colonies that I do have. I have not had much experience with the more demanding corals yet and so was looking for a little input, hopefully this helps a few more hobbyists as well. That said, let's play nice?

I have drastically reduced the amount of food put in the tank since starting this thread, I will check nitrates shortly and see if it has made a measurable difference yet. Any guesses on how soon I should be able to measure a difference? After just a few days, both anemones are looking happier, good indicator, or just coincidence?
I have about a dozen nassarius snails as well as a pistol shrimp who never, never stops moving sand, I don't think blowing out a little more would hurt. I have never come across any black/grey areas in the sandbed, or had any funky smells come out of it. Is this a bad thing to do?
One more question, what are some of the more hardy sps corals? I have a few monti plates that are starting to come around and show good growth, color and extension. I would guess that they are one of the easier ones?

Edited by fishoutawater - June 27 2010 at 4:04pm
Some day, when I grow up,...

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 5:05pm
Monti plates are easy. Digitata is really easy - I started with that before getting into other demanding SPS. Benefit is they grow REALLY fast. Milli's have always been easier for me but your mileage may vary.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 6:10pm
Absolutely sorry for saying that you thought hydnophora are SPS.

Though I won't say they aren't SPS, because you very easily could classify them as SPS depending on what your criteria is Smile. I have seen hydno described (mostly in jest) as MPS Smile. Mine does better with lots of light, as much light as my acros get, and mine likes to be fed as well.

+1 to Monti digitata and Monti cap being generally easy SPS to grow. Though I have a friend that has a hard time keeping Monti's alive and does well with Acro's Smile. In my tank Millipora's have been the easiest Acro's. Brown digitata is usually given away, most of the time the brighter nicer looking SPS are harder to grow (generally price reflects this).

Movement in the sadbed is not bad generally (depending on what you are trying to achieve), but will stop the denitrification ability of that sandbed.

Sandbeds need areas that are less disturbed to become anaerobic (without oxygen) in order to denitrify. To much of being undisturbed will result in anoxic areas that can then be an issue creating toxic compounds. For this reason many with remote deep sandbeds will replace the whole setup on a regular basis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 6:31pm
If the sandbed is producing bubbles, isn't that a sign of denitrification?
Here is the hydno frag I got from Nick, hasn't really grown since I got it about 4 months ago. It's in about 6" of water.
Here are test results. This is the only type of test I have ever used, is there one that is easier/more accurate. I put up 3 pics because it changes so much with viewing angle/light etc.

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 6:46pm
Mike I have the siefert test if you want to come over and use it
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 9:37am
I agree that M.digitata is typically the easiest fastest growing SPS, yet some tanks don't grow it as well as Acropora. One of the hardiest Acro is the Green Slimer (A. yongei). There should be plenty of that here in the club.

You are right. The bubbles can be an indication of denitrificaton. They can also be the result of simple oxygen production via photosynthesis of the algae at the edge of the glass.

Yes, the improved look of the coral and anemones is because of cleaner water due to reduced N compounds. As you have seen, the reduction of feeding can allow the biological filtration to quickly eat up the extra nutrients.

My guess, just from the pics is that the sand is being disturbed too often. Sounds like you are more concerned about black sand than you need to be. Dirty sand is actually healthy sand enabling good biofiltration.

That frag of Hydnophora looks irritated. It should be all bushy. (If you hadn't told us it was Hydno, I would have guessed it was a green Sinularia.) It is sitting in a soup of chemicals produced by the field of green and purple polyps it is living amongst. I would move it to a new place. You are using AC, right?

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 28 2010 at 9:49am
Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 12:31pm
Yes denitrification in sand beds will be the conversion of nitrate to nitrogen gas. I would say though that the bubbles at the top half are not going to be oxygen starved like you would need for denitrification, that should occur deeper in the sand bed.

Edit ps: Oh and I hate test kits that are that non-specific and hard to read. I have bought tons when first buying kits and they bug me every time. Cry

Edited by Matthew - June 28 2010 at 12:33pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 8:26pm
Bubbles that come from the deep and leave a little trail as they rise up the glass are definitely Nitrogen. It's my understanding that the other compound that forms in the process is water; hard to see that one.Smile
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 8:33pm
If your nitrates are under 20 your doing good! Naturally Lower number would be better. Anything above 30 would start hard corals to fade.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 11:37pm
I may take you up on your offer to use your test kit Jeff, some days I look at those pics and think 10?, then I look at the other pic and think 50?, irritating.
Wouldn't the bubbles seen in the top of the sand bed just be a lot of smaller bubbles accumulating and getting larger as they travel up from deeper in the sand bed?
Yes, I am using carbon.

Edited by fishoutawater - June 28 2010 at 11:38pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 9:41pm
What do you guys think of this?
Flow through the fuge is around 250-300 gph. I have a little bit of cyano in the display, but you have to look to find it, nothing like here. In addition to that you can see some of the caulerpa kind of disintegrating, while other areas are a deep healthy green color. I have never ran caulerpa before so this too is new to me. I haven't seen this in any of the tanks I take care of at work, so I'm really not sure what is going on with my macro either. I got it from Nick a few months ago and it did not look like this.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2010 at 7:35am
There that was great. Thanks for posting a pic of the Refugium.Clap

Okay I went back and read all that you said about this situation. Here is what is I believe is happening in this system.

- There is not enough LS biofiltration. Partly because of the sand in the main display being disturbed too often and partly because there is no sand in the Refugium.

- I'm guessing that the algae in the Refugium is not being harvested, probably because it is not growing that well. The yellow, dieing and dissolving algae is putting nutrients back into the Refugium where the remaining algae is absorbing those N compounds just to stay alive. Caulerpa fronds are typically not more than two feet long. In ideal conditions Caulerpa multiplies by branching.

- Just for fun, I would test a sample of the water directly from the outlet of the Refugium. My guess is that the Nitrates will show closer to zero there. If not, this blows my whole theory.Smile

- There needs to be more flow through the Refugium. This would make better use of the Refugium by feeding the 50ppm Nitrates to the Caulerpa and the new sand bed. There is no need to build in an RDSB if the present Refugium is put to better use.

Of course I could be wrong about this. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2010 at 10:00am
Hmm, every answer leads to more questions.

Why more flow? The consensus seems to be that you should process just a little more water than your skimmer can handle through your sump. A 40 gal display, with 300gph through the returns is just over a 7x turnover, again right about where most of my reading recommends me being.

If caulerpa takes nutrients from the water, and my trates are 20-50, what is it they are not getting that they need? Since parts of it are yellowing/fading, would it be a good idea to prune back a lot of what is in there? Does caulerpa prefer to root in sand? I have increased the light period in the fuge to 16 hours from 12, and will stop blowing the sand in the display.

What benefit could I expect from another sandbed in the fuge, it only measures 10x14, I didn't think that much sand would have much of an impact.

Edited by fishoutawater - July 01 2010 at 10:06am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic