Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overheated Corals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Haley'sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overheated Corals
    Posted: June 24 2010 at 11:09pm
So I went on vacation and left my tank in my friend's good hands. Unfortunately he let the water temp get to 91 degrees. This killed my wall hammer, aussie acans, frog spawn, and lemon leather. What a trip! My question is now that 3 weeks have passed my candy cane corals are looking sad. It seemed they were doing fine but some of the heads are looking shriveled. Some even have their skeletons peeking out. Is there anything that I can do to maybe save them? Thanks for your help. 
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 12:15am
Time. Did you do a big water change with all of that death? (if not you really need to) Your tank will need to rebalance itself after a disaster like that. Keep your temp stable and hope for the best.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 12:23am
Hopefully they can recover. Going on vacations is a haggle when you leave your aquarium alone, even if someone will take care of it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:21am
An Apex is the only way to go when you leave. It can control most functions and control your temp.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 12:34pm
I did do a water change after it cooled back down by the next day. I didn't want to shock them more. Man that really was a bummer. I hope they pull through, thanks for your help. 
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 12:56pm
With my Apex and the t-5 lights and 3 fans my tank runs at 78.6 degrees always
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 1:53pm
Does anyone ever use a cooler or just fans on the surface? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 2:40pm

Nope Tunze chillers are killer but come with a heafty price tag. Chillers are a lot more than fans therefore fans are used over chillers for the most part.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 5:16pm
Ohh so sorry for your loss.

I never leave my tanks without having an experienced hobbyist/friend from this club check on them every 2-3 days. That's when they get fed too. Only an experienced hobbyist knows what to look for and how to correct it.

Excellent question on the fans.Thumbs Up
A fan blowing across the water surface can cool a tank by as much as 12 degrees depending on the angle of the air stream. 98% of tanks in Utah use this method. Plug the fan into the same timer as the lights so it will cool the water as the lights try to heat it up. Right now is a good time to find $10 clip-on fans at Walmart. Smile

Also set the heater for 75 or just unplug it for the summer. When it starts out at a lower temperature it can't get as hot by the end of the day. Reefs can get as low as 65 without any bad effects.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic