Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Phil's 125g

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 1:21pm
I have to say I absolutely love the stand and canopy, beautiful job!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 2:49pm
Looks awesome! well done!
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 2:58pm
This looks great! I cannot wait to see this with water.
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

tavita47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tavita47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 8:35pm
Looks great Phil!  In over a year, this is the first time I checked out your thread.  I'm a bad brother.
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2011 at 10:14pm
Looks great.  Are you going to be able to get to the back bulkheads should you ever need too for emergency?  Or are they covered?  Thats an awsome looking build.  Good job.
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2011 at 10:06am
Originally posted by tavita47 tavita47 wrote:

"... I'm a bad brother."

Samuel Jackson?!?!

Thanks all for the compliments, greatly appreciated!

@Chevmaro, the plumbing/bulkhead side of the tank will have a removable cover, similiar to the back of the canopy. The canopy has a 'decorative' panel that attaches to it with 4 screws. I had to consider appearance as it can be viewed from the back through the railing (read: to keep wifey happy as she can see it from the kitchen). I'll get some new pix to show the detail of the back soon.

Edited by philhender - September 01 2011 at 10:12am
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2011 at 1:19pm
Seems you have thought of everything Smile.  When do you plan to get wet?
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2011 at 7:48pm
looking real good Phil, I will have to come check it out when you get it up and runningThumbs Up
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 4:31pm
Finished up the plumbing.. and pulled out the garden hose!

UGH! one of my 1.5" bulkheads has a slow leak! $#!^... They're custom cut to be shorter and glued together. I gotta find that box with spare bulkheads and hope one was a 1.5" and then go raid my PVC leftovers for parts to rebuild the section. From what I can see, the leak is coming from the glued PCV into Bulkhead area.

BUT on the bright side, I'm glad I checked before just dumping in the rock, sand and salt!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 2:09pm
9/21/2011 UPDATE:

Found the leak, it was in the glueing of the 1.5" street 90 into the Bulkhead.  I had a spare, but since they were glued, I had to redo a section of the piping.  Water tested for 3 days with FW, no leaks.

Drained and refilled with new FW and let it naturally dechlorinate for about a week.  Got the bucket of SW mix and decided it was time to start the cycle.  I figure I can work around the SW and get it going, it's getting exciting again!  I've added Sand, Rock to the DT and Sump.  Don't judge my rock work yet, as I plan on transferring rock from my running 55g as soon as I can.

I'm not sure I've ever posted a FTS of my 55g... but there is donor material in there!

As you can see, it's getting a little crowded, I'm sure all inhabitants will enjoy the new space. I know I don't have any new updates on the internals/sump yet, but I plan on detailing the sections individually at a later time (this is my favorite part!)

The 125g has 2 hermits and 2 snails wandering the whole neighborhood... lucky ducks.  I know I will need lots more, they were just my gueinea pigs.  I seeded the sand in the DT and the Sump with donor sand from the 55g... it's been about 5 days, and I see the start of diatoms in the Sump's DSB!

Lighting is still being addressed for the DT, I'll update on the sump lighting soon.  Which is probably an explanation of why I see diatoms in Sump (Lit) as opposed to the DT (not lit yet).  My deal has fallen through on the 60" light I was going to get, so still sorting that out at the moment, 60" is just an odd length of light to find in stock and at a fair price... any one have a spare 60" fixture laying around? prefer T5.... 4-8 bulb. 72 is slightly long for the canopy structure I built... I only have ~69" width up top. 

More soon!

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 2:38pm
Thumbs Up This is going to be GREAT! I love all the hard you put into this beauty! It's going to be amazing!
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 2:13pm
9/26/2011 - MAJOR Diatom bloom :) BUT only in the fuge! Chaeto in fuge double in size, skimmer pulling out some good stuff.  Well under way.  I have one concern however... I think I have TOO much flow in the DT.  I have 2 Koralia Evo 1400's on opposing sides, however I can't seem to get them set to NOT burrow a low spot in the sand, usually takes about 12 hours, but I plan on mostly softies/LPS and am worried about the flow. I think I should cut back to evo 1050's or even 750's.  I'll have to post in the classifieds to see if anyone wants to trade.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 12:40pm
10/19/2011 update:  NO3 tested at 0... moving day was Monday... 55g is sitting empty except for sand and a few straggling snails.  As soon as I get the snails out, its time to clean out, will be siphoning out sand/water and refilling with vinegar water for the clean out!  125 got a few new toys!  RKE w/NET, 2 BRS reactors (1 Carbon, 1 GFO). Lighting is a 8 bulb 60in T5.. but there seems to be wiring issues, have 6 bulbs running (4 Geisman Actinic, 1 KZ purple and 1 10k) good for now.  All fish, corals doing well so far.  Will have to get pictures and a full tour up soon.  Next project is to get the water station (55g drum for RO + 20g SW mixing tank) all set up.  Got a new RO filter from BRS as well, it's hooked up temporarily and I've been filling 5g jugs individually.  Really see the need to get the rest done, as I'm just waiting for the day I forget to watch it and it overflows.

As far as the transfer went, fairly well.  I lacked some larger pieces, so I have almost the old rock wall look, but it's not too bad.  I transfered over 8 anemones, and now I have 10... lol. Environment change produced a couple of splits... and I think there may be more coming. The majority of my corals (softies and LPS) are sitting in a nice row in the front of the tank, I figured I'd leave them there for a little bit for the light acclimation as well as giving the nem's a week or so to find a home before I start placing.  One thing that really surprised me is how many empty snail shells are left in the old tank!

I don't know if it's just me, working in the tech field, I'm a little dissapointed in the RKE, I guess I expected more.  A better user friendly interface, easier programming etc.  but so far so good, I'm still learning it.  I have noticed when doing multiple programming changes, it will temporarily shut down for about 1-2 minutes... maybe it's saving/rebooting I don't know.  I really expected more for the $$$ amount the darn thing cost me.  Maybe someone has some good tips or is willing to help verify I have the optimal settings for it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 12:48pm
forgot to mention, thinking of the Avast 'you build' kalk stirrer, http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/youbuilt/K1-Kalk-Stirrer-Kit for $140, it seems like a great deal.  I prefer the slow continuous internal stir as opposed to worrying about seals and an externally mounted pump, and then to make sure your not pumping in non settled kalk into the system.  Anyone here have any experience with AVAST equip? 

Makes me wonder if Tyler has anything like it for the same price range??? as I'd prefer to support local first.  TYLER? ;)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic