Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RBTA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RBTA
    Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:21pm
So I had a fellow reefer trade me a rbta today but I guess when he was removing it he ended up tearing it off from where it was. It is still alive but I'm not sure if it can heal and I really don't want to foul my whole tank up if it dies.

I will post some pics here in a min.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:22pm

If is just the disc torn it will probably be OK

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:27pm
Pics:

Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:28pm
It looks like the whole underside of the poor thing, I have it in a container with holes floating in the tank so I can watch it.
Jackie Stuver

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:30pm
It looks like part of it is still attached to the rock.

Is that correct?

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:33pm
seems fine to me as long you acclimated to your tank it should heal up quickly. just dont feed it so it does nit stress it out. if you see the bottom melting then just pull it out or just smell horrible.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:33pm
Yea it was but he released himself from it now and it stuck to the side of the container.
Jackie Stuver

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:36pm
It should be fine.

Especially since it is still able to attach itself.

It has decent tentacle extension and good color, too.

If it was all shriveled and spewing mucus then I would be concerned.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:37pm
Oh good, should I keep it in the container floating until it heals or should I put it in the tank?
Jackie Stuver

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:40pm
yea if you still not sure keep it in the container for 2 two and monitor any discoloration. mucus. shrivilingbor any other weird action. i would relase it but then again its yourchoice
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:42pm
Would it do better if I release it you think?
Jackie Stuver

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:47pm
I would release it.

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 11:49pm
yea realase let it settle careful you might need to move coral if he decides to move and alse careful if you have powerheads.
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 1:47am
After watching the 'propogation' of anemones' on youtube by slicing with a razor blade like you would a mushroom (though I couldn't do it to a nem myself) I'd think it should be able to heal ok, like state previously, don't stress it, and let it move on it's own, don't force anemones to move... they go where they like (mine used to face the back of the tank for the longest time).
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 8:39am
I've seen several anemones that get chopped in powerheads, and I've cut several with razor blades, that all healed up and recovered. I wouldn't be too worried in this case.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 9:11am
I have to agree with Adam. I think you are ok, especially since it is already attaching it's pedal disk to the rock and sides of the tub. I would release it into the tank for sure...it will be fine. I had one that was in my sump and got sucked into my return pump. I thought it was gone forever, but a few months later I noticed about 15 little red anemones popping up around my tank and in my sump. They were probably the size of a dime at that point...but all grew up into full fledged anemones.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 2:58pm
Thanks everyone it looks great today. I thought I had read never to tear one off from where it was so that's what got me worried glad to see they aren't as sensitive as I first thought
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic