Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID Please?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID Please?
    Posted: June 27 2010 at 1:18am
Can anyone tell me what these are?  I'm assuming it's some type of nocturnal polyp since they come out mostly at night.  They're hitchhikers on some LR and appear to be harmless.  I'm just curious what they are.

90G Mixed Reef
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 4:48pm
I have a few, i don't know what they are.
90 gallon mixed reef
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 5:49pm
It is a ball anemone, and they are harmless, hoewever you can get rid of them with aptaisia X if you really don't want it there. Mine are open all day now. They can actually be really cool colors sometimes.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 7:19pm
I have them to.  They do not like light.  If you want to get rid of them simply put them in the direct light for a couple of days.  But like everyone said they seem harmless.  I have never had them cause any trouble and I just let them be.  Honestly I think they are kind of pretty.LOL
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 7:27pm
Really? Mine seem to love the light, some of them are right out in the brightest areas of my tank. Maybe there are several different varieties.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 7:52pm
Hopefully they are harmless i havent really found any anemone that hitch hike very friendly. They reproduce way to quickly and sting anything thats nearby
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 8:21pm
I did a little looking and there's a possibility these little guys could be dangerous if they grow big enough to eat fish.  I found a little very basic info at this site: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/invert.htm
90G Mixed Reef
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 2:08am
I have those too, mine only grow in dark areas.  I think they look cool and so far have been harmless.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic