Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6g nanocube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6g nanocube
    Posted: June 27 2010 at 7:04pm
So I am downgrading my 24g nano cube to a 6g nanocube (needed some money:) ) anyway what I am wondering is if there are any species of seahorses that can live in a 6g that don't require live food.
I would love to try seahorses eventually once it is established but don't really care to have to hatch live brine or have a live culture going.
Any help would be great and I will update with some pics once I get going:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
jmorrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 10:42pm
that would be perfect for dwarf seahorses, but I think they require live food.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 11:15pm
Yea it would but as far as I have read they do need live food:(
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2010 at 11:45pm
Also I am thinking this tank could use some more light. I ordered a 10k bulb from nanotuners and can't afford some of the nicer upgrades. Any suggestions? I want to keep the stock hood on.
Jackie Stuver

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 8:38am
The seahorses that have been bred to eat frozen foods are kind of pricey. If saving money is your reason for downsizing, I'd look at the fun family of damsels. There are many beautiful ones and they are the least expensive of the marine fish. BTW, Clownfish are in the Damsel family. Smile 
In this pictorial, there is a pic of a 2 gal nano with a blue damsel and clownfish. Also check out the 10 gal with the Bicolor Blenny. Give them enough soft surface algae to eat and they can have some real personality.
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37523

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 28 2010 at 8:44am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 1:29pm
Well eventually I hope to get some seahorses it of course won't be right now.
How many damsels could I put in there? I don't want a clown as I already have 2 in my other tank.
Jackie Stuver

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 7:47pm
Depends on how it's set up. 3 Damsels could do it but if there is a good growth of Macroalgae to keep the water cleaned all the time, even 5 Damsels might live semi-peacfully. They always bicker. Smile That's how Damsels are.  Yellowtail Blue Damsels are cool, but for blue, the Allens Damsel is especially pretty. I had a pic around here...there it is.Smile
Oh and be careful to get Damsels that are colorful when grown. Some can turn very drab as adults. And the black and white ones seem to be more pugnacious than the rest.

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 28 2010 at 7:53pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 7:57pm
Well I set it up with all live rock, a layer of new substrate with a layer of live over it and live water, the rocks have some nice algae but I'm not sure there is enough for 6Wacko However that would be really cool to have 6 of them in there...hmmm
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 7:59pm
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 9:17pm
K I need some ideas on fish for this. I know there aren't a lot but what would you guys suggest?
Here are ones i am thinking about:
Frogfish
firefish (how many?)

Jackie Stuver

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 9:25pm
Frogfish are fairly difficult to feed, and will have to be trained onto frozen. Also a typical frogfish can range from $50 to $200. I would stay away from one unless you know you can provide a steady source of nutritious live food until it is weaned (which can be upt to a month or two). Before mine was trained onto frozen he needed to eat fairly sizable meals about every other day. Firefish do best in pairs, with a tank that small you would have to deal with territorial issues.
I would look into a couple gobies, a sexy shrimp or two. Clown gobies are small and full of character, but there are many smaller gobies that would make great nano fish. A jawfish would also be a good nano fish, pearly jawfish are relatively inexpensive and have tons of personality.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 9:55pm
+1 for the clown gobies once settled in they are full of personality!
Chance Evans
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by CapnMorgan CapnMorgan wrote:

Frogfish are fairly difficult to feed, and will have to be trained onto frozen. Also a typical frogfish can range from $50 to $200. I would stay away from one unless you know you can provide a steady source of nutritious live food until it is weaned (which can be upt to a month or two). Before mine was trained onto frozen he needed to eat fairly sizable meals about every other day. Firefish do best in pairs, with a tank that small you would have to deal with territorial issues.
I would look into a couple gobies, a sexy shrimp or two. Clown gobies are small and full of character, but there are many smaller gobies that would make great nano fish. A jawfish would also be a good nano fish, pearly jawfish are relatively inexpensive and have tons of personality.

K I was just looking into one because Aquatica has one for $30 I didn't ask what he was eating. I just find them interesting.

I will look for some type of goby maybe.
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 1:26am
K I like the green clown goby, rainfordi goby, pearly jawfish
Has anyone seen any of these at an LFS? Preferably no further than Sandy area.

Also I assume I can only get away with one of these fish correct??
Oh yea does anyone around have sexy shrimp?

Edited by bstuver - July 07 2010 at 1:27am
Jackie Stuver

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 11:29am
i see all three of those regularly at Aquatica and Reef Runners
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 2:30pm
You could have one of each or even a couple rainford and clown gobies. It's really all in how you setup your filtration and how deep the sandbed is. Sexy shrimp are pretty common in LFS, I know I saw a few at the aquarium a week or so ago.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 2:35pm
K so I could get one of each? I thought you could only have one goby in a tank unless it was a larger aquarium?
Jackie Stuver

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 2:40pm
It depends on the type of goby, and how you introduce them. If you get the gobies at the same time, and introduce them on the same day (in the dark) they will be fine. This technique works on lots of different fish. That's how I got my Coral Beauty and Potter's Angel to get along in the same tank. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 2:45pm
Ok cool thanks:)
Jackie Stuver

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 8:27pm
A firefish with a fire shrimp would look great. Not to mention if your add red corals. would be a flamy nanocube lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic