Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ahanix's 40g Breeder 2.0 - 10-31-10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ahanix's 40g Breeder 2.0 - 10-31-10
    Posted: June 28 2010 at 3:21pm
10-31-10 - Tank 2.0

40g AGA Breeder

Tek Elite 6x39w
-UVL Super Actinic
-ATI Purple Plus
-ATI Blue Plus
-GE 6500k
-ATI Blue Plus
-Giesemann Aquablue Special

SWC 120 Extreme Skimmer

2 x Aqueon 700GPH Powerheads

Rio 12HF

Aqueon 18x16 Oak Stand

20g Long Sump

Edited by Ahanix - October 31 2010 at 10:31pm
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 4:23pm

looking forward to seeing your progress!  I really like that glass holes over flow kit, takes up minimal space.

IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by kellerexpress kellerexpress wrote:

looking forward to seeing your progress!  I really like that glass holes over flow kit, takes up minimal space.

Yeah, I was really having a hard time deciding what I wanted to do as far as an overflow goes.

I wanted to drill the bottom and do a center overflow, but decided I could deal with pipes sticking out the back for the extra amount of space I will be gaining from the overflow kit.  I will still place it in the center though with two 3/4" loc line returns on each side.

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 2:02am
Well, after a long night of shopping, drilling, fitting and painting, here is my completed overflow for my tank.  Glass only chipped minimally, nothing a little plumbers silicone grease wouldn't fix.  I will be leak testing tomorrow, and making any adjustments if needed.

I used 1" returns on each side, attached 3/4" loc line heads, and will be finishing the rest of the plumbing after my stand is done.

Edited by Ahanix - July 02 2010 at 2:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 3:15am
Good job man,  looks really clean! 
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 11:31am
That looks really good! That is the route I wish I had gone looking back. I am still considering draining my tank a few inches and drilling the back glass to add the returns through there. At least on one side of the tank.

You could put a SCWD on your return and have the sides alternate flow. However I would just let them both run at like 200 gph and use the Vortech's for all your flow. You will laugh at every other powerhead on the market once you see what the Vortech's can do. At least I do! LOL

Looks good man! Come check my tank out when you are ready.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

That looks really good! That is the route I wish I had gone looking back. I am still considering draining my tank a few inches and drilling the back glass to add the returns through there. At least on one side of the tank.

You could put a SCWD on your return and have the sides alternate flow. However I would just let them both run at like 200 gph and use the Vortech's for all your flow. You will laugh at every other powerhead on the market once you see what the Vortech's can do. At least I do! LOL

Looks good man! Come check my tank out when you are ready.

Thats the plan, going to run a Mag 5 for the return, I think that should give 200gph per head (hopefully)

As soon as I get my biocube sold I will order my lighting, and my first MP10.   If I feel the need for another one, which I probably will.... LOL i'll order that later this fall when I start stocking more SPS in the tank.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 12:07pm
you will want a second vortech, trust me. I thought one would be enough and has been for now but I need another one. You will have the benefit of the second return though that I don't have. My vortech moves water really well to 30 inches or so and then dies the last 6 inches.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 12:11pm
How wide does the water push out of the Vortech?  Just curious since I have the option of mounting the MP10 on the back wall (not that I would really want to do that, but was a fun idea to play with LOL)
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 1:19pm
i use these on my frag tanks and sea swirls they look super clean and dont have to use any adapters . plus they pull water from behind them which helps generate less dead spots
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 1:56pm
Well, with a couple hours of work and cleanup, I got my stand done.  Kind of paid off to have home depot cut everything for me at the store

Stand measures at about 40"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Ahanix Ahanix wrote:

How wide does the water push out of the Vortech?  Just curious since I have the option of mounting the MP10 on the back wall (not that I would really want to do that, but was a fun idea to play with LOL)

It doesn't push water wide enough that you would want it on the back. Keep it on the side. I have mine front of center and about 5 inches from the top of the water.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 4:03am
what he said
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 1:38am
Well, here's the "semi" completed stand (doors are in my garage and should be finished by the weekend) Picture frames and other wall additions will be moved by friday

Edited by Ahanix - July 14 2010 at 1:41am
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 12:49pm
way to go! Put the fish before the wedding photos.
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Lewy Lewy wrote:

way to go! Put the fish before the wedding photos.

LOL
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 7:11pm
Any updates? I would really like to see some pic's
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 9:42pm

Well, ignore the jawfish condo in the back (was used to capture my bicolor blenny, and will be removed once he decides to come out of it), but here's my first FTS. Things are still a little dirty in the tank, and some microbubbles which should be fixed after I get my filter sock, but at least it's a start

Edited by Ahanix - July 28 2010 at 9:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 10:29pm
Looking good! Your clowns look even smaller now :) Did you ever figure out how to quiet down the overflow?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 10:31pm
Yeah, it's definitely quieter now, I just need to tackle the micro bubbles issue, I am thinking a filter sock might solve the problem. That and filling the water a bit higher in the sump

Edited by Ahanix - July 28 2010 at 10:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic