Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Slime HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Slime HELP
    Posted: June 28 2010 at 7:04pm
I've been fighting with red slime for a couple months now and trying to fix the problem instead of using a red slime formula.  Everything I've done hasn't helped very much.  I think all my parameters are good, I have great flow, and good new lighting.  Its not growing much but isnt going away.  

Whats the best way to do the red slime treatment?  I remember some people suggestions on how to do it that were different then its suggested directions on the box at the pest meeting but I forget what they said to do.

I was going to use RedSlime Control by Blue Vet.  
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 7:07pm
Keep  that crap off your chalice. It will harm them.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 7:15pm
I sucked it all up with a turkey baster, then i used red slime remover, after that i did a 20% water change and it never came back.
90 gallon mixed reef
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 7:42pm
Flow and less feeding! It will help alot
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 8:16pm
I had red slime for awhile I tried doing a few different things to get rid of it and nothing worked it would go away but it would always come back. I was at another members house and he hooked me up with some red slime remover and I was really hesitant but I sucked out as much slime I could and then dosed the tank according to the instructions did a wc five days later and I have not since seen any sign of red slime. I know I know "find the problem" I tried and after a few months nothing worked..

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

Its not growing much but isnt going away.  

I don't remember anything being said about using chemicals for red slime any different than the directions, but it was me that talked about using a different and better method of using Flatworm Exit.

I'm curious as to how much and where it is still growing. Can you show us a pic? I may have a few tricks up my sleeve.Wink
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 10:54pm
Its lite all over the place now. Sand, in the least flow areas but still decent flow.   All over the rocks even on my heavy flow areas.   

I dos however notice something new.   Half my tank is all LEDs Now, they other half is just T5s for a couple more days till I'm done building the other LED light.   The slime is 5 times as bad on the t5 side as LEDs side     

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 11:17am
Curious, and yet not unusual for it to grow different under different lighting. How can we get a pic?

What happens when you cease all feeding of the tank for 5 days?
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:01pm
I used the chemicals to get rid of mine and then did a water change.  However, to address the source, I plan to feed less on a regular basis and I am increasing my biological filtration, by adding another 1-2 inches to my sand bed.  Haven't done it yet though.

55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Curious, and yet not unusual for it to grow different under different lighting. How can we get a pic?

What happens when you cease all feeding of the tank for 5 days?

I've been trying to get a pic but it isnt good enough to show anything...

When I stop feeding nothing seems to change.  It does seem to grow a little faster when i'm  feeding a lot, but it doesnt go away if I stop feeding.   The slime isnt taking over my tank, its just a little bit everywhere and it wont go away.  

The only thing that has made any kind of real change is the LEDs seems to make it grow a lot more slowly then the T5s.  

I think I'll do a big water change tonight, and if that doesn't help i'll try the red slime control.  

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 4:17pm
Please post the pic anyway. We can tell a lot, even from a fuzzy pic.
Wasn't it the pic of your receding LPS that we hit spot on the answer?

How long of a fast do you put the tank on?

How often and how much water are you changing?
In my experience a water change simply feeds the Cyano. The different elements in new seawater actually feed it. Stopping the water changes would be a better way to help combat Cyano. If you would like to have me come take a look, just call.
AvesSaltGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AvesSaltGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 6:29pm
I used that Red Slime remover - I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with corals. My acans suffered a death that I'm pretty sure was at the hand of that stuff. I'll have to be more creative and ask quesitons here to fix it without resorting to doing it that way again. Angry I had some beautiful acan frags that were growing really well - and then it came to a screeching halt.
Michael - 120G Reef Acans, Pom Poms, Zoas... Clowns, a firefish, and a coral beauty -purple tang, sailfin desjardinii, Filtration - sump, protein skimmer, UV sterilizer, 2 Koralias, refugium.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic