Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Filter fabric

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filter fabric
    Posted: April 15 2003 at 8:37pm
 At the last meeting there was discussion of using something from the fabric store as filter media. Could someone tell me what the name of it was were to get it and if there is a disadvantage to using it.  I need to filter out the last bits of crud from the oolitic sand I put in my tank. Thanks
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 8:54pm

The "mats" can be made from batting.  Just go to the fabric store and ask for batting.  It comes in different thicknesses so pick the one you like and buy.  It's very cheap.

That filter sock I mentioned in that other post...I make them myself using white felt and my wife's sewing machine.  They last about a week then I just throw them out and make another :).

(please stop me when I start talking about knitting )

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 9:12pm

Oh one other thing.

For those of you using bio wheels (emperor/penguin brand...are there others?) you can reuse those "filter cartridge" inserts (the plastic cartridge filled with carbon with a filter mat on the side opposite the biowheel).  I bought one refill, then decide it wasn't worth it.  When the filter clogs, take it out and rip the fabric away from the plastic cartridge.  Get the batting from the fabric store, cut to fit the cartridge.  Use two rubber bands to hold the batting in place and reinstall in the power filter... Although in a reef tank I'd first try operating the filter without the cartridges :).

ropubuke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropubuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 4:49am
Filter Paper that is manufactured by well known companies. Our polyester filter fabric is available in standard sizes and can be customized as per clients’ specifications. Our PP Filter Fabric provides excellent quality performance. We also offer PP Filter cloth Fabric for different uses too.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 7:55am
Just this mornin' I was wondering about where to get this stuff!!!! I wonder if it lasts 13 years? LOL
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 10:21am
I have used batting in my filters for years. So cheap and does an awesome job. Usually 1/2" or 3/8 "..not the super dense stuff just the kind that you can almost see through. Joannes' fabric in utah county. I buy a yard of it for 4$ and lasts me 6 months. Works better than anything. I use it in hob filters, canister filters. Just plain ol'love it. I always use a hob filter with it to filter out the last of the crud you mentioned everytime i set up a new tank. Good luck

Edited by beege29 - May 20 2016 at 10:21am
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 12:24pm
FYI this thread is from 2003. Wink

I can only assume that the "crud" Bruce found in the Oolitic sand was there because he didn't properly rinse it before placing it in his tank. This stuff comes from the ground in western Utah and needs to be prepared for use. Filter media is not needed.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 20 2016 at 12:25pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ropubuke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropubuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2016 at 1:27am
Filter Paper dealer that is manufactured by well known companies. Our canvas cloth is available in standard sizes and can be customized as per clients’ specifications. Our filter bag dust collector provides excellent quality performance. We also offer PP Filter cloth Fabric for different uses too.for more info
<a href="http:// http://www.filtechfabrics.com/index.php/products/filter-paper"> Filter Paper dealer</a>

ropubuke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropubuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2016 at 1:28am
Filter Paper dealer that is manufactured by well known companies. Our canvas cloth is available in standard sizes and can be customized as per clients’ specifications. Our filter bag dust collector provides excellent quality performance. We also offer PP Filter cloth Fabric for different uses too.for more info

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic