Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fast PH drop, everything mad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 12:28pm
What I would do now is probably leave it alone if things are looking better. I would keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrates, if you have coral dying they can creep up and start killing more coral, creating a vicious cycle of death. If the ammonia and nitrates start showing an increase I would do another water change, otherwise leave it alone.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 9:14am
As I woke up this morning I was thinking of one more thing. The new saltwater had been mixed up two days prior to using it, right? How was it stored during this time? If it was not open to the atmosphere and/or being aerated, it became caustic. I once did this and killed almost everything in the tank. Dead It was a 40% water change. I learned from that mistake.Smile

ShockedAnother water change! No don't do that!Ouch We believe that was the cause for distress in the first place! A water change using the new salt mix will make things worse.
Also, I need to reiterate what I have said before, The best solution to reducing high N compounds is using the natural biofiltration in the tank. Make the algae work overtime to eat up the pollution. This is more effective and much faster than a water change.

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 03 2010 at 9:19am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 9:32am
"My water change was at about 10am so 8 hours later was when the ph freaked out."  This may mean that our assumption that it was the salt mix could be completely missing the mark! But if you are positive that nothing else changed then the salt mix and the AC are definitely the only suspects.

"Seems to me that I should give everything quite a bit of time to get looking better before I hit them with that again."  Correct

"It seems unlikley that its a bad batch of salt, just probably very different then my last.  I had heard very positive things from that brand of salt from people around here."  I completely disagree. New products are the most likely to have quality problems. Have you followed the suggestion given before by snoyce to mix a small amount and test it?Shocked

"At least things are looking pretty good now." Big smile

What product does everyone use for calcium? I had been using that two part reef fusion system and am about out.  I was going to go into AD and get some new calcium for dosing and ask if they had heard about that salt brand freaking thing like like that.  Have you read about this in the link below? " The same exact active chemicals in all Alk and Ca additives are easily and afford-ably found in Baking Soda and Ice MeltSmile
[/QUOTE]

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 03 2010 at 9:56am
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 3:22pm
The pH keeps dropping and I can't figure out why.  Things are starting to look bad again.  

I brought by calcium up, and everything else is still testing out good expect my pH.  It now dropped to 7.8

Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 3:26pm
I would drip some kalk to help stabilize it
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 6:03pm
What's your ph at now? Should be close to 8.1 with full lights
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 8:45am
You have a very serious problem here.
We need to get together on the phone and maybe even a personal visit. MB communication is just too slow for this kind of thing.

Did the new water sit stagnant for 2 days or was it aerated before doing the water change?
Have you mixed up a gallon of that new salt mix and tested it with all your test kits? Also stick your pH probe into it for 15 mins. to see what it reads.

Low pH is the result of too much CO2 in the water. Feel free to call so we can talk about the possible causes. What could be sucking up O2 and leaving CO2?

What is the Alk reading history during this ordeal?

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 04 2010 at 9:00am
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 2:51pm
The pH dropping could be from a number of things. Do you have your skimmer running? I would try to get as much air as possible going into the water. If you have extra air pumps and some wooden air stones that would help a bunch too. You might need to try and find someone to hold your corals until you figure out the problem.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 3:41pm
The pH right now is 8.0.  Its ranging from 7.92 to 8.09 in the last 36 hours.   I added some Kalk and that brought it up yesterday.  

I recheck everything today and my Mag was low, everything else was good.  I dosed Mag.  

I have an red sea ozone hooked up to my skimmer now.  My ORP was at 170 yesterday.  

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

What is the Alk reading history during this ordeal?

Every time I test it its about about 11.  

50 Gallon rimless cube.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic