Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rock replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rock replacement
    Posted: July 05 2010 at 7:12pm
If I replaced 75#'s of my existing rock with Marco rock keylargo base rock, (in tubs 4 days) how bad would the cycle be? As everyone knows my tank is over 6 yrs old so it is very stable I have 170# of live rock now.

Edited by bugzme - July 05 2010 at 7:22pm
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 10:04pm
thats almost 50 percent. i would probably switch 25 percent first then the other 25 in about two weeks this can prevent a mini cycle and i would hate seeing in your tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 10:26am
If that rock is like LBTR, and I think it is. Isn't it mined from the ground? Then it will hardly create any pollution. If I am right about this, you could do a lot of it.
I'm with Santiago on this. I don't work by pounds. I work by percentage. The biofiltration works this way. If you change out half the rock, that means you have cut its filtration in half. That's why taking it slow and doing it in portions over time is most often the better way to go, no matter how old the LR or the tank is. It's also a big job. Biting off smaller chunks at a time is easier, in my experience.

Just my 2 cents. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 06 2010 at 10:29am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 3:53pm
the rock is mined underground and it is very clean
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

The biofiltration works this way. If you change out half the rock, that means you have cut its filtration in half. 

Doesn't the live sand provide much more biofiltration than the live rock?

This article states that live sand is far better as a biofilter (for nitrates at least):

Therefore, if he removes 50% of the live rock, maybe he's only reducing the biofiltration capacity by say 15-25% or so?  It still makes sense to move slower, but just wondering that for myself also.

Thanks,
Chris
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 6:35pm
Test your water that your Key Largo is in now, I have heard sometimes the Marco Key Largo rock can release phosphates. 
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 8:50am
Yes, I too believe that, speaking in general terms, LS offers a greater percentage of filtration than LR, so I agree. What I meant was 50% of the biofiltration provided by just the LR component. My thought is that removing 50% of the LR would reduce the tanks biofiltration by 30%.

I agree with tCfab that the Key Largo rock may have a higher amount of PO4. This would create a pretty good algae bloom. Testing is probably the only way to know since I believe that Jeff has been keeping this rock in relative darkness, no?
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 9:35am
Yes it's in the garage. No phosphates yet
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 10:34am
It's had time to show in the water if PO4 was there. I'd say the rock is ready to go.Thumbs Up
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 10:39am
Should I do a few pieces at a time?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 10:56am
If it was me, I would put in 2-3 smaller pieces (~10 lbs.) and watch to see whether or not they get a brown surface algae growth. That would help me decide what to do next.
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 11:24am
That's what I will do. Thanks for the helpClap
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
omedman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omedman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 10:42pm
Great info, I was wondering the same thing ( Thanks )
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 11:19pm
so is it bad if it start growing brown algae? because i recently purchade 50lbs of rock and its growing some of that algae
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 5:07pm
No it's not bad, it's normal.
The amount of brown algae is what I would look at to help me choose how to proceed.
A tank with too little biofiltration, brown algae(diatoms and dino-flagellates) is going to be much thicker or more extensive than in a tank with sufficient biofiltration.
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 6:47pm
I put 5 pieces in on the 7th and my daughter say's there is no algae bloom. Rock still looks white.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 9:57am
Thumbs Up
You may start to notice a green tint to the rock. This is a coralline algae that starts first. Next you should see dots of pink and/or purple coralline algae. Here is a pic of some LBTR at about 3 weeks:

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 5:49pm
so would the rock I put in have any biological filtering effect? I haven't put any new rock in since then but I would like to when I get home
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Thumbs Up
You may start to notice a green tint to the rock. This is a coralline algae that starts first. Next you should see dots of pink and/or purple coralline algae. Here is a pic of some LBTR at about 3 weeks:

Mark,

Would this be that same "green tint"?  I replaced 50% of my LR with this big hunk of Vida-Rock and this pic is about 6 weeks in.  You can't see the detail, but I do see the pink/purple spots starting to grow, but the green algae on top seems to be more than just coralline.  I can't wait until this big hunk of rock looks more natural!

55g Bowfront Corner Reef
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 6:16pm
I have had a chunk of vida rock in my sump for 2 months. Going to make a chalice tree.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic