Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ich!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by mikeden mikeden wrote:

...that ORP, and Ozone are a natural part of the "Ocean" water.  So, my rationalization is...  Why should an ozone generator be considered any less natural than garlic? I don't see any garlic plants growing in the ocean, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark is a "natural" guy... me, I'm more a "gadget" guy. Wink

Just a different perspective

The only thing I would add to "correct" your statements re: using ozone is...

I'd also use UV in conjunction with the ozone. (And I do...)

A big part of why I don't feel the need to use a QT system - and have not had the lack of a QT ever come back to bite me in the 'nether regions'...

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
mikeden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 3:05pm
I have to somewhat agree with you on the UV, but maybe only by default.  I bought that stupid expensive UV unit before I got the Ozone, and when I go the Ozone unit I just left the UV hooked up.  So just by odd luck, I'm using both.  But like I said, I ran the UV for over a month, possibly 8 weeks, with no or very little change.  After the ozone, it was 24 hours to see a dramatic change.  I'd be willing to bet the ozone works pretty dang good even without a UV.  But I can't say for sure.

Also, as far as gadgets vs. natural, the ocean gets irradiated by UV from the sun all day long.  So again, adding a UV sterilizer, in my mind anyway, equates to trying to add back something natural to my tank.  There I go rationalizing again!  Big smile

Thanks Bob!

Mike

Edited by mikeden - July 23 2010 at 3:52pm
150G Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 7:05pm
For anyone that has ever wondered why I eschew extra gadgets but put my tanks in the sunny window, this thread, especially what Mike just said(Thumbs Up) should clear it up. Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 24 2010 at 1:53pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 2:32am
hey tropi gal how are your fish doing?
marlowrd123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlowrd123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 12:11am
I once had a koran that aquired Ich.  I asked around and eventually settled on pulling the Koran from the tank and sticking it in fresh water until it was practically on its side and highly stressed along with pulling the ich off of the fish itself.  After doing that twice or so and putting it back in the regular salt tank everything worked out.  The ich did not come back and the other fish never reaquired it.  Maybe I was just lucky although I think the fresh water did a number on the ich itself.  Not saying thats a solution as the garlic and uv sterlizer sounds like the way to go but at the time it worked and I was a happy camper.
rwccomptech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 3:00am
Thats brutal, ripping the ich off, wow, thats like say... peircing your skin then riping it out. I cant believe you could honestly do that.
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 3:26am
Originally posted by marlowrd123 marlowrd123 wrote:

I once had a koran that aquired Ich.  I asked around and eventually settled on pulling the Koran from the tank and sticking it in fresh water until it was practically on its side and highly stressed along with pulling the ich off of the fish itself.  After doing that twice or so and putting it back in the regular salt tank everything worked out.  The ich did not come back and the other fish never reaquired it.  Maybe I was just lucky although I think the fresh water did a number on the ich itself.  Not saying thats a solution as the garlic and uv sterlizer sounds like the way to go but at the time it worked and I was a happy camper.

For everyone's reference NEVER do this! The white spots you see on the fish are NOT the Ich! The Ich is UNDER the fish's skin. The white spots are spots of raised irritation caused by the parasite, so if you were in fact really pulling the spots off of the fish you were pulling it's skin off. It's extremely lucky it didn't die from that treatment.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
rwccomptech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 3:47am
Someone agreed with me yay lol
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 3:05pm

Thoughts on the debate about UV Sterilizers killing the beneficial, free floating bacteria in water column?

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 5:43pm
I agree that you're going to kill some beneficial bacteria, but not enough to really make a difference. I have been running UV on my 180 since I set it up, and my water is crystal clear and the fish are healthy.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic