Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Problems (w/ pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recent Problems (w/ pics)
    Posted: July 08 2010 at 6:01pm
Lately my tank has seemed like it is crashing.  My LPS and SPS do not look very good at all.  I have been keeping a close eye on all of my levels and everything is always pretty perfect.  PH is 8.3, alk 11dkh, calcium hovers around 400, temp 78, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia all at zero, and salinity is at 1.022.  I have been checking every few days with the same results even from other test kits.  All of these levels are normal for my tank and is usually what it sits at.  Within the last couple of weeks my galaxia, birdsnest, maze brain, fungia have all started to slowly go downhill.  softies look fine.  And I have not done anything new to it or added anything.  I am just lost on what to try next.  Any ideas on what to do before I try selling whats left of them?

Edited by Aquaristnewbie - July 08 2010 at 9:42pm
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 6:19pm
I would raise my salinity1.025 and calcium above 400. IMHO they aren't perfect.  When did you do your last waterchange?

Edited by bugzme - July 08 2010 at 6:19pm
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 6:50pm
Have you done anything that was different of your maintance routine before you start noticing any changes? A full tank shot and shots of individual can help us figure out what is wrong with your tank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 7:04pm
I have not done anything different than normal.  I did a 10% water change a few days ago and the same two weeks prior to that.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 7:07pm
Could it have been a heat spike? this time of year is worst time for heat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 7:10pm
I have been checking but the highest I have seen it was 79.  It has pretty much stayed at 77-78.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 7:15pm
you have carbon running to remove any toxin produce by corals?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 8:56pm
I too would say the next question is whether AC has been used, or was something accidentally introduced from the water changes?
We definitely need to see a current full tank pic.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 9:08pm
AC? do we need use DC? on aquariums i never notice that

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 9:16pm
AC=activated carbon.  ANd yes I have been running carbon.  I change out a powerhead cover from petco half full of it monthly.  I will post a pic shortly.  to help.  
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 9:27pm
oops now whos the newbie lol i tought it meant Alternate Current

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 9:42pm
Here are some shots from today
Sad Corals Cry
Here is my carbon bag and now I have a new question.  Is this a bad starfish I found on it?
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 9:56pm
Rest of the corals look healthy. only those three on the other pictures are dying. shoot could it be just the corals? how long did you have them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 9:58pm
I have had them 5-6 months and all of a sudden recently they were going downhill.  Thats why I am so confused because everything else is doing fine.  Even other LPS and SPS corals.  I am just lost right now.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 7:33am
Interesting that the Caulestrea right next to the Galaxia appears unaffected. All but one of the Euphyllia are doing just fine too. I'm going to take a closer look at that full tank pic to see if I notice anything. There is a lot of reflection.... algae on the glass...can you clean the glass and take another pic in the darkened room?

Asterina Stars are no big deal. I wouldn't worry about them unless you see them eating coral. I once had some that I would find in the dawn eating the bottom stalk of a Pom Pom Xenia. I've had many others that only ate detritus and algae. They sometimes go in to clean up where something is dieing.

The bag of AC is packed pretty tight. It could be packed looser and do a better job. Where does that bag sit? And for how long? I see a lot of crud on it which clogged the mesh, restricting flow in and out.

Ok, here is what has come to my mind thus far. Something is irritating more sensitive coral individuals. I'm seeing some possibilities.

- not enough free flow through the AC so it's not removing all it should be?
- some organism on the sand?
- something in the water changes or top-off?

Has the lighting changed lately?
How about a change of salt mix?
Has anything been accidentally dropped into the tank or the containers used for RO or Saltwater? (Once found a small problem at a home where the RO water had been contaminated with fabric softener from recently dried clothing that had fallen off the Dryer into the RO water)

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 09 2010 at 8:01am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 1:16pm
I change the carbon out monthly.  I keep the carbon in my HOB filter next to the inlet where the water gets pushed into the unit.  I am going to change it out tonight I and I will pack it more loosely.  No lighting changes at all and no new salt.  Just the same old routine.  I am leaning towards I must have contaminated it somehow and did not notice.  It is just weird that only some are affected and not others.  I will try to get a better pic tonight with clean glass.  I will go through and thoroughly clean all my water change supplies to see if that helps.  I am going to start doing 10% weekly water changes to try and get out whatever might be in there.  I have not noticed anything in the sand either but I will really keep an eye out.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 1:47pm
I would also raise your salinity like was mentioned above 1.025 is the ideal level for corals.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 11:47pm
Good plan.
Check the coral at night to see if something is coming out and bothering them.
Poly filter or ChemiPure might help remove contaminants.
Good luck Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 11:15am
After water change last night, replacing all filter media, and raising saliniity to 1.023 my fungia seems to be doing a bit better this morning.  I am going to slowly add some salt to top off water to raise to 1.025 this week and another water change on friday.  Hopefully things are improving all around so I dont lose the colonies.  Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions everyone.  It was driving me nuts.  I will keep you updated.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 12:03pm

Glad to hear they are doing better

Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic