Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Foxface gulping air

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foxface gulping air
    Posted: July 08 2010 at 9:38pm
My tank has been running 4.5 months.  I have had my foxface for 3 months.  The other day I noticed he was swimming quickly back and forth in the tank and he was partially camouflaged.  I have not seen him camouflage since the day I brought him home and introduced him into the tank.  He only did this for a couple of minutes and then I  noticed him gulping air from the surface.  Today he was gulping air from the surface quite a bit and I noticed strands of mucous like stuff on his body.  The mucous was coming off and he was eating it as it came off.  Right now the mucous seems to be gone.

I have 2 false percs, a blue tang, and a six line wrasse (just introduced Monday) that all seem to be doing fine.

I checked my tank parameters and they all seem fine
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
PH - 8.2
Alk - 10.0
Calcium - 425
SG - 1.024
Temp - Ranges 76-78

Here is a picture.  He seems to look OK other than the issues I described.  He is also eating normally.

Any ideas

Thanks
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 9:41pm
He seems fine. Rabbitfish seem very shy. What have you been feeding him>
nate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 9:42pm
Formula 1 and 2, Mysis, and seaweed on a clip every once in a while
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 10:00pm
You have to keep in mine that these fish need a strict diet of hervibore food. Many tangs and rabbitfish die within a few months for lacking a good diet even if feed regularly. This also causes to start nipping on corals. Try to give him more seaweed reguraly or any nutrious plant food even lettuce would work
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 8:16am
Gulping air?
OR
Eating the algae scum on the water surface?

Please show us a full tank pic. You may want to have our thoughts on the tank in general. Is there an overflow to a Refugium?

Are you adding a drop or two of Garlic Oil to a cube of frozen food, thawed without water and allowed to marinate for 5-10 minutes, then fed slowly in small clumps?

Healthy herbivorous fish are as fat as a cow.
Cows and Herbivorous fish graze almost all day long
This fish is too thin. It is starving.
I agree with Santiago. Feed it a ton of Algae, Romaine Lettuce, and Nori. For herbivores and indeed for all fish, the best commercial frozen food by far is Emerald Entree.

Nice pic BTW. Perfect that it would pose for you.LOL

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 09 2010 at 8:24am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 4:15pm
Nori sheets can be very cheap and are full of great nutrition for your fish, as well as you. Check an Asian supermarket for the best deal.
nate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 12:39pm
Thanks for all the info. 

Mark, here is a full tank pic and a pic of my sump.  Any help/advice is appreciated. 

Right now I have an overflow to a sump.  The sump is just a 20G tank and I have the overflow running through a filter sock and then a I have a sponge that spans the width of the tank so the water has to run through it prior to skimmer, heater and return.

I have not been using Garlic Oil.  How often do you recommend, every day or just every once in a while?  Also what type of Garlic Oil?  Can I just get some from the grocery store?  The seaweed I have says it has Garlic in it but my guess is it is not anywhere near the amount found in the method you described.

I will definitely change my feeding routine to include more herbivore food.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 2:51pm
I use garlic oil everyday in my feedings, and have seen many benefits because of it. However once or twice a week it what many people do, and it works out fine as well.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 3:12pm
WOW nice rock work!! I think the fish looks like he needs to eat more but I don't do well with fish!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 12:51pm
Garlic Oil: The link below contains many helpful Tips and How to's. Look for the one titled "Secrets of adding new fish and the miracle of Garlic Oil."

Here is a straight on pic of one of the Yellow Tangs in my big tank at the Big Island. Wink
Notice its bulging belly.

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 11 2010 at 1:01pm
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 1:10pm
is that bulging belly bad?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 5:03pm
Sorry, I didn't clarify. The bulging belly is the sign of a healthy herbivore.
An herbivores digestive system is built to handle bulk amounts of algae. Though to some people this may make the fish appear obese, it actually means it is healthy.Big smile
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 5:37pm
I have a fox face that goes vertical in the tank and blows bubbles, he has done that for over a year.  kinda looks like hes gulping air, but i think mark is right hes probably skimming the surface of the water.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic