Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

taking photos of fishes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: taking photos of fishes
    Posted: July 10 2010 at 10:28pm
hey there i was wondering how to take pictures of fishes since they are always on the move my photos get blurry. perphaps there is a some spec like shutter speed. brightness rtc to be adjusted to get the best pics. or perhaps recommend a camera that is good with this type of movement. thx
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 10:34pm
Mike Savage is the pro when it comes to taking action shots of fish. When he was at my house he took some, and gave me some pointers. He said that you have to find out what path the fish takes on a regular basis. Then you place your camera and have it focused on that spot, and when the fish swims by you take your shots. I dont know how you need to set up your specific camera, but I know I always use an "action multishot", like you would use for sports. It gets several pics in a brief period, so you are bound to get a couple good ones.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 10:45pm
Practice practice practice! The highest amount of light and a steady hand:)
However I shoot people pics most the time but most of my fish ones don't turn out too bad. Also shoot a lot of pics, I can shoot 20 pictures and only have one I really like.

Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 1:30am
If you can adjust your ISO put it on the highest setting you have.  And if you have a sports setting that helps as well.  And also what has been said above all helps to.  What type of camera do you have?  Maybe I can give you some better ideas depending on what you shoot with.  Monopods can be helpful with keeping it steady or just extending one leg on a tripod and using it like one.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 2:43am
wish it was a SLR lol. its just a kodak zd8612 is
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic