Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120g tank build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 120g tank build
    Posted: July 16 2010 at 7:16pm
So I should be going to pick up my tank tomorrow night. The footprint is 48"x24"x24".

Has a stand I will see how sturdy once we get it, I tend to be overly caustious with that much water so we will see if it needs reinforcement.
I am thinking I really like the open tank like I have now so I will leave it open top.

I need suggestions on:
Overflows 1 or 2?
Also middle of tank or to one side?
How many return holes?

sump size? obviously I don't think a 55g will fit under the cabinet seems the main tank is only 48" the same as a 55g.

Lights? I love the light I have on my 60g it is a coralife 24" with a 250w halide and 2 65w cf bulbs. I am wondering if I just get another one of these if that will be enough light? I would assume so seems the tank is literally just double of what I have.
But if I go a different route what are some suggestions? How much light do I need on this size tank to grow whatever I want?

I think those are my only questions, once I get it drilled and overflow, plumbing done I will more than likely look into getting live sand and live rock from someone who is selling theirs.

Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 7:23pm
Ok unless I can find another used one the light I have now is over $500 so I won't be doing it.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 7:30pm
How would 2 of these work out?
http://www.fishneedit.com/4ft4bulbs-with-l44.html
Jackie Stuver

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 9:11pm

Have you considered a "coast to coast" type overflow?

A 40g Breeder tank would make a great sump (36" L X 18" wide) for your size display tank and should easily fit inside the stand

How about these lights:

Enough light to grow anything you want. I used to have one of their fixtures and I liked it.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 9:21pm
I like that light but it's out of stock. Have you ordered from them before? I thought I read some reviews that weren't too great about them.
I will look up coast to coast over flow.
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 9:25pm
I don't know about the coast to coast overflow... I hate seeing overflows and something that is all the way across the back I think would really bug me.
Jackie Stuver

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 9:47pm
When I ordered my 72" light I didn't experience any problems whatsoever, but I have heard of soem complaints

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 10:45pm
Oh -

And whether or not you need 1 or 2 overflows depends on a few things:

- How many gph you want to move through the sump / size of your return pump

- Diameter of the plumbing you use

- Size of the overflow

Personally, I like the idea of a single central overflow - especially if you are going to be viewing the display tank from the sides

But it really is just a matter of personal preference. 

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 11:39pm
OK so I am looking at the lights on aqua traders how many watts of t5 would I need? In the long run it would save on my power bill I am sure:) As much as I love halides 500w might get a bit expensive!
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 11:40pm
Oh and what is suggested overturn rate? I am use to freshwater stuff and its a really high turn over. like 10X+
Jackie Stuver

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 11:43pm
Do you plan on using a skimmer?

A good rule of thumb is to use a return pump that is about as powerful as your skimmer pump.

If you have a 120g display, I would say a return pump of around 600 - 700 gph would work well (like a Mag 7, for instance)

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 11:50pm
Yes I will plan on a skimmer. I already have a quiet one 4000 pump so I will just use that as it is rated for over 1000gph
Jackie Stuver

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 2:31am
Keep in mind you should be turning over what your skimmer can handle only through the return, but you will need additional circulation for your reef besides what your return pump can provide (ie: powerheads). So all things considered reef turnover should be much higher than the typical 10x FW turnover rate. For example, the turnover in my 180 is over 32x. The other thing you will need to consider is that even though your pump is rated at 1000gph+ it will have to deal with several head feet of pressure to push water up to the display, so you are going to lose gph due to that. There is a good head pressure calculator on Reef Central you can use to determine what the actual output of your pump will be. That way you can be sure that it will move enough water for you planned setup.

Edited by CapnMorgan - July 17 2010 at 2:32am
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 3:03am
Ah yes I forget about that. I plan to get some powerheads as well.
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 10:09pm
So I picked up the tank tonight. I don't like the stand at all so that will be rebuilt:)

Question on lighting, would I get better coral growth and be able to grow more with 2 250w halides or 8X54w t5?
Jackie Stuver

BDerron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDerron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 11:33pm
40 breeder works well as a sump as bob stated. I ran one under my 75 for a long time.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 12:07am
With the T5's a lot depends on your bulb choice, but with the right bulbs you should be able to grow anything you want w/o the heat of halides.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 12:17am
How often do the bulbs need to be changed on T5? Also what color choices would be best? I am looking at a used t5 unit that's 48" and has 8x 54w
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 12:18am
Also I know a ton of people love t5 but for me I love the shimmer you get from halides, do you get that at all from t5?
Jackie Stuver

tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 2:04am
No, you don't get a shimmer with just t5's. Some people have used LED's with there t5's to give a shimmer effect though. Alot of halide guys are switching to t5's, there are more options for color choice, less heat and usually use less wattage then halides. 
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic