Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120g tank build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 4:01pm
Ah well I love the shimmer that halides give so I guess I will lean towards those.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 4:25pm
So will two 250w halides be enough light? My light over my 60 g cube has a 250 halide plus two 65w cf and when I turn the cf off it is a lot less light
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 10:28pm
Yes 2-250watt halides will be very good for that tank just make sure you get some good reflectors thats what makes the big difference. Depending on kelvin you like you may or may not need actinics. I have a buddy that likes the 20k look and uses 20k radium bulbs and his tank looks really good with out actinic lighting. 

Edited by tcfab - July 18 2010 at 10:29pm
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 9:14pm
Ok so my husband and I were talking and we are thinking I will need 5 holes cut. One for the overflow, two that will be in the top close to the corners for the out and then we are thinking 2 more towards the middle section to add a pump to to have flow through the middle.

I will be looking for a sump tank here soon.
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 3:23am
So change of plans on the holes I need cut, I think we will do it with just the two holes and use the pipes that come out of one center overflow.
So what size of return pump will I need for this size tank? I am also going to get a couple powerful powerheads for water movement.
I will have a skimmer but it is only rated for like 100g I think until I can move up to a bigger one, it is one that can go on the sump.
Jackie Stuver

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 3:34am
Assuming you want to use an internal pump, the Rio Hyperflow series are great pumps for reliability and efficiency. I would go with the 16hf or 32hf, you can always valve them back if you need to. As for the powerheads I would recommend a few Koralia 2's or a piar of koralia 3's opposite each other, pointed at the surface of the water. When you upgrade your skimmer, get the biggest one you can fit in your sump. Preferably one rated for 2x the total volume of your entire system.  A lot of people over look this fact and buy skimmers sized to their display only and don't factor in the water volume in the rest of their system. Also by getting a skimmer rated for more than your system volume, you're creating a safety net. If anything dies in your tank, the larger skimmer will be able to handle and remove the added pollution before it kills more livestock
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 3:39am
K so question, why point them at the surface of the water? I am assuming I should put them low in the tank but I thought you needed powerheads to keep the detrius and stuff off the bottom? I plan to have the two outflows pointed at the surface.
Yea as for skimmers, I will end up getting a different one I am just trading someone my 6g nano for the skimmer and a few corals. I may just end up selling that skimmer when I sell my other setup and get a bigger one.
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 3:42am
Also on the rio are they quiet? I hate mag pumps because they are always so noisy! So I am staying away from those as I have never had one that I can handle listening to.
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 3:44am
Oh also did you mean 26 or 32? I am not seeing a 16
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 4:38am
Any suggestions on a skimmer? With a 120g display and around 55g sump I need roughly one that can handle 345gWacko
Jackie Stuver

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 5:06am
Sorry I did mean the 26. The Rio pumps are pretty quiet, especially if you use the suction cup mounts they come with. The powerheads should be pointed at the surface to create LOTS of surface agitation for good gas exchange and lot's of turbulent waterflow. The turbulence created will create currents to keep detritus and other waste in suspension. You really magnify the amount of water moved by pushing it along the surface. Even a small pump can produce a ton of movement if used efficiently. Good gas exchange is extremely important for a stable aquarium, also if you point powerheads lower in the tank chances are you'll create too much laminar flow, or a sand storm. When looking at a skimmer, realize that you won't actually have 120 gallons of water, or 55 gallons in your sump. You'll have maybe 65-75 gallons in your display and 30 or so in your sump. That makes around 130 total, so a skimmer for 250 gallons will be plenty for your system.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 6:33pm
Ok so I ordered the Rio hf32 and 2 koralia 3's last night.
Now I need the holes drilled so we can get going on the plumbing...see my ad in the buy/sell forum.
Jackie Stuver

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 1:44am
Are you planning on using the glass-holes overflow kits? Or are you wanting to DIY?
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 1:58am
I am having a friend make one, he makes acrylic tanks and said he would make me one for cheap.
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 2:41am
SO I have the following:
Tank
Stand (need to redo)
Lights(picking up this weekend)
water pump ordered Rio hyperflow 32
Koralias 3 (2 of them ordered)
heater
sump(found someone that bought one during the Petco $1/g sale)40 g breeder yea!!

Will be getting tank drilled this next week and overflow made

Looking into skimmers, I will have a cyclone 100 for the time being that I am getting in a trade, I can't afford a really nice one until probably the beginning of next year. So will this one be ok for now?

I see cal reactors all the time are these necessary?

Edited by bstuver - July 21 2010 at 2:50am
Jackie Stuver

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 2:57am
Whether or not you need a calcium reactor really depends on what you want to keep. If you want to keep a lot of stony corals then down the road you may consider one. But you won't need one until your tank is up for quite a while. Dosing manually and replenishing w/ water changes is usually enough to maintain calcium to start with. I wouldn't recommend starting a reactor until you have a really firm grasp on reef chemistry and how it all works. You also really should have a controller to run a calcium reactor to avoid dropping your pH to dangerous levels, as well as an established trend of how much calcium your reef actually consumes so you are supplementing the correct amounts. So for now you should be fine w/o a calcium reactor.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 3:03am
Thank you for the info:)
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 1:29am
Getting closer to be set up. Got the holes drilled(thank you Peter) painted the back black, stand is almost redone it was just an ugly white box like made thing with bad put together stuff, so the structure was there but not to my liking. I will post pics of it soon it is turning out awesome IMO.
Over flow boxes are being made, we went with 2 drains and 3 outs.
Hopefully will get the live rock and live sand from Dan soon but might not be until next Monday as he will be gone:(
Bought all the plumbing stuff today, got a tote that is heavy duty for the sump, and my pump and powerheads arrived yesterday. And oh yea I go 2 250w halides last week. So I am about set and soooo excited.
Jackie Stuver

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 7:40am
Sounds like you are close to water. What bulbs are you going to use? Lets see some pic's
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2010 at 12:43am
So the tank is completely plumbed, got a sump, have it half full with water being moved by powerheads right now. Going to add a scoop or two of my sand from my 60g and should be getting all my live sand and rock on Monday!! I am getting way excited!
Here are a couple pics of it not much to look at right now but hey:)

We are putting black trim around the edge as I can't stand to look at the trim from the tank:)
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic