Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120g tank build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 3:06pm
I would do a big water change
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 3:14pm
Do you runn a sock? Water clarity is bad in the pic's
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 3:24pm
Yea I run two of them and have been rinsing them out daily to get rid of all the stuff that was floating around.
Water change is done, should I leave lights on or off?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 3:26pm
Would it still be cloudy because things are dying? I waited until it was clear before I added all my corals and now it is cloudy.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 4:13pm
So does the brain coral look dead? Do I need to remove it? I am so bummed right now my lps are some of my favorites!
Oh fish all look fine
Jackie Stuver

sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 9:13pm
so how do things look after the water change lps can be quite hardy but it likely you may loose some of what you have best of luck
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 9:39pm
Well the softies are starting to look better, my hammer, candy canes, large brain, and frogspawn are all goners they turned whiteCry I'm so pissed I know most can be easily replaced but my brain was bigger than a softball and I loved it! The others were all getting pretty large too with a bout 7-10 heads on each!
Jackie Stuver

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 9:46pm
thats is just weird. you just added 60 more gallon and no extra bioload this porbably would not cause a mini cycle can it?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 9:49pm
Well I am guessing it is because I used live sand from an established tank and when it got mixed up probably caused some havic:( Lesson learned I guess. I talked with Shawn at Aquatica today for awhile and were thinking that's what happened..
Jackie Stuver

kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 9:54pm
yes it can I upgrade from a 65  to a 95  and I lost 17 fish and a ton of coral
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 9:56pm
Sorry to hear about your coral. That brain looks dead to me, I would remove it IMO. I recently had an open brain die and it wiped out a bunch of Lps I had. It was weird it didn't effect my sps or softies, but the slime and junk it put off killed a large candy cane colony, and large chalice that wasnt even near the near the brain. You need to be running carbon now if you are not already to help with the pollution from dying corals.
On a Positive note I really like your rock scape. :)

Edited by kellerexpress - August 14 2010 at 9:57pm
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 9:58pm
Yea I have carbon running now and I removed all the stuff that looked dead, that brain put off a ton of slime stuff so yea I am guessing it fouled things up:(
Jackie Stuver

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 11:09pm
That really stinks about that open brain. That was a great coral.

I guess I was really lucky. When I upgraded to my 90g the only thing I lost was my royal gramma. No coral losses at all. It's weird that you're losing so many LPS, they're usually pretty resilient.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 11:30pm
Yea I loved that brain I am pretty upset about that one, I know I can get frogspawn, hammers, and candy canes fairly inexpensive but that brain really sucks!!
Jackie Stuver

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 8:44am
Sorry to hear of your lossesCry
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 12:45pm
Did you wash the sand when you did the move? If you didn't that's probably what happened. You get pockets of nastiness that when mixing up the sand can release nitrates, ammonia, and all sorts of badness. Usually you want to wash all the sand thoroughly if you are going to reuse it and then just seed it with a cup of live sand.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 1:43pm
I have moved my tank twice with no issues never rinsed I have always taken the water out then sand then put sand in and water on top of it trying to not mix the nasties in the water and leaving them in the sand
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 4:56pm
No I didn't wash the sand, things are looking better today. The water is almost completely clear and the smell coming from it doesn't knock you over when you walk in my front doorTongue
Anyway hopefully things are looking up:) Lessons learned I suppose.
Jackie Stuver

sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 6:29pm
Wow, I go away to Scout Camp and this thread goes into over drive.

I've got some reading to do.

How are things looking Jackie?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 9:03pm
Better getting my salinity up a bit have done another water change got some macro algae and my light installed for in the sump.
My ammonia was a bit higher today so that's why I did another water change, and I am leaving the lights on 24/7 as Mark suggested.
Thanks for asking:)
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic