Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120g tank build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 3:38pm
So I was sicker than a dog yesterday with the flu so I didn't even look at my tank as it is downstairs and I didn't leave my bed, but today it is clear as clear!!! Yay!! It has been a bit cloudy everyday and getting better but today it is crystal clear finally.
If I have enough strength to check all my params I will however I still can't sit up or stand for too long:(
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 3:56pm
Get well soon! Glad your tank is doing better.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 5:36pm
Tanks always look better the longer you leave them alone. Tongue
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2010 at 10:33pm
So I think my husband thinks I am crazy, I was checking all my params and when the ammonia test showed 0 I was jumping up and down!!
Params today:
Cal- 460
Alk-8 dosing daily to get up to at least 10 but if I miss one day I am back to 8
Nitrate-5
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
Ph- 8.2
Phosphate-0.25
So I have added a bag with phosguard in it to get rid of all the phosphate, everything is starting to look better even with the nasty brown algae:)
need to get a bigger clean up crew as only a few snails made it and about 10 hermits.

Edited by bstuver - August 21 2010 at 10:34pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2010 at 11:27pm
If you let your Ca drop just a little bit, like down to 400 - 420 ppm, it will be easier to keep your alk closer to 10 or even 11 dKH.

I find if I let my Ca get too close to 500 ppm, then I have a hard time maintaining alk even at 9.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2010 at 11:57pm
Yea I haven't been dosing cal since I did a big water change and used the salt that has a higher cal rating.
Jackie Stuver

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 11:44am
Doing a water change with high Ca salt is making the Alk/Ca balance go the wrong way. I would stop the water changes. They may have helped the Ammonia level drop slightly during the emergency, but they are not helping anymore.
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Alk-8 dosing daily to get up to at least 10 but if I miss one day I am back to 8
How much of what alkalinity additive are you dosing? You will need to increase the dosage, even double it.

Algae eats Phosphate. Is the algae in the Refugium growing well?

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 22 2010 at 11:46am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 3:56pm
I haven't done any water changes since the very first:)
I can't tell if the algae is growing or not.
I guess I should go get the stuff that is in your signature to make stuff to get my alk up. I will look and see what it is I am using:)
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 12:25am
So today the brown algae is green:) Do you suppose I can turn my lighting schedule to normal now? I think everyone gets a bit sick of the lights being on 24/7
Jackie Stuver

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 2:35pm
Yes, the lights can go back to their normal schedule.
Watch the Refugium to see if algae is growing. Normally it should double in size every month or two, requiring harvesting.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 3:52pm
Some pics would be helpful. I love seeing new tanks as they mature.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 8:03pm
Here is a pic from today, I still have a small haze in the tank not sure if it from the algae as the tank was covered in green algae and I cleaned it off the sides of the tank. I am going to get a UV sterilizer as I used one on my other tank and it kept it crystal clear:)
Anyways everything is starting to perk back up and look good again! The toadstool or whatever it is on the right that I got from Jeff had it's feelers out and was all happy the whole time my tank was in the dumps and now it isn't sending them out but the other one on the opposite side of the tank is.

Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 8:04pm
Oh and thanks to Dan for giving me pieces of some of the corals I lost!
Jackie Stuver

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 8:58pm
Flow is the answer! It loves it.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 9:10pm
Ok I had moved it from being right by my glass so it didn't interfere when I used my magnet cleaner, I will move it back again as there was probably more flow where it was before.
Jackie Stuver

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 9:11am
Looking good.
Can the stuff sitting on the sand, especially in the center 1/3, be placed up higher, or on "stilts"?
Can you show us a pic of the Refugium please?
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 9:24am
How's the flow in the tank?  I just looked at the overflows and I like it.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Looking good.
Can the stuff sitting on the sand, especially in the center 1/3, be placed up higher, or on "stilts"?
Can you show us a pic of the Refugium please?

I guess it could be placed up higher, they are mostly mushrooms, zoos and palys so when I put them higher they tend to not like the intense lighting why? I'm guessing because it looks like they are all placed directly on the sand when actually they aren't most of it is leaning on other pieces.

Peter the flow is excellent! thanks for drilling the holes, I really like how my overflows turned out he did a great job with them!
Jackie Stuver

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 5:57pm
Over the years we have noticed that the greater the area of sand exposed to water flow, the better it can do it's job. When sand is covered up, pollution is worse and the tank suffers.

And LS's job is a big one.Smile I believe that the LS does a larger share of the biofiltration than any other single component. The other biofiltration components are LR, Algae and LW. LS is especially good at the reduction of Nitrates into N2 and H2O.

I said "stilts" but I often describe it as the Tripod Method. It's the method of placing some small flat or slender ends of rocks into the sand so that other rock can be placed on those raised places. Try to use the small ends of rock in the sand so that the least amount as possible of sand is covered. The water then can flow between the upright rocks over the sand to allow it to breathe; to capture nutrients and expel waste/byproducts. Here is a pic of the principle:

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 25 2010 at 6:04pm
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 6:20pm
I don't use the tripod method but I try to stand my rocks up so I have some of the sand expose! Works for me. Never have nitrates in my tank and I feed like crazy!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic